Critique My Program

Okay so I’m a senior in highschool, and wrestling season is over. I’m not playing anymore sports and I just want to focus on lifting for the rest of my life, no more games.
I really liked CT’s perfect rep and now I understand whats its like to lift with intensity.

Workout A
â?¢ 1 Barbell Shoulder Press
Sets and reps according to 5/3/1
â?¢ 2 Barbell Upright Row
Sets: 8 Reps: 3 Rest: 60-90 sec.
â?¢ 3 Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Sets: 8 Sets: 3 Rest: 60-90 sec.
â?¢ 4 Bentover Dumbbell Raise
â?¢ 5 Dumbbell Curl

Workout B
â?¢ 1 Deadlift
â?¢ 2 Chinup
â?¢ 3 Dumbbell Row
â?¢ 4 Back Extension
Sets: 8 Reps: 5 Rest: 60-90 sec.
â?¢ 5 Ab Wheel Rollout
Sets: 4 Reps: 10 Rest: 60-90 sec.

Workout C
â?¢ 1 Bench Press
â?¢ 2 Dumbbell Bench Press
â?¢ 3 Dip
â?¢ 4 Dumbbell Fly
Sets: 2 Reps: 10 Rest: 60-90 sec.
â?¢ 5 Triceps Pushdown
Sets: 5 Reps: 5 Rest: 60-90 sec.

Workout D
â?¢ 1 Squat
â?¢ 2 Leg Press
â?¢ 3 Leg Extension
â?¢ 4 Leg Curl
â?¢ 5 Situp

Ok so I wanted to put 5/3/1 on main lifts to get them nice and strong, but I also wanted to use CT’s “perfect rep” for accessory lifts. 8x3 isn’t set in stone but its just a general guide line I guess. Neither is the rest time.

What do you guys think?

Seems unbalanced to me.

Workout A: 3 Shoulders, 2 front, 1 rear, no medial. Then an upright row, and curls? Random.

Workout B: Basic, not too bad. Lots of other stuff I’d go with besides back extensions.

Workout C: 4 chest, 1 tricep. All flat bench? Or incline/decline? For triceps I’d hit close grip bench, then some rope pushdowns, maybe.

Workout D: Squat, 3 quads, and a leg curl… Again, no balance at all. Get some hamstring/glute work in there.
Oh and situps suck balls. Stick with the rollout, but try it with a barbell loaded up. Or weighted roman chair crunches, rope crunches on an incline.

I don’t know dude, but it seems you should find a program designed by a pro and follow that. If you like CT’s stuff, why not follow IBB? I know it’s for intermediate to advanced, but there’s no real reason it can’t work for you. As long as you eat and rest enough to recover.

Either way, lift hard and enjoy it. Eat and sleep. You’ll get it.

I,BODYBUILDER i don’t like it. It seems to complicated, and too much moving around in the gym for all the exercises. I just want something simple, I just want to have fun with it dominate the weights.

Can someone come up with a better one similar to this then? Please

Well: simplify. Go with 3 exercise per session instead of 5, but give your 100% in those 3.

If you want to split 5/3/1 style you could

Day A
Military press 5-3-1
Chinups
Rear delt flies

Day B
Deadlift 5-3-1
Snatch
GHR or leg curls or hip thrusts

Day C
Bench press or incline bench 5-3-1
BB row, DB row or machine row
Curls

Day D
Front squat 5-3-1
Hang clean
A lunge

And cycle between similar exercise every 6 weeks.

Pass (P) or fail (F)…

Your program fails to adhere the holy guidelines I outlined in my “Bodybuilding Bible” thread.

You get an F.

Assignment:

1. Review the holy guidelines set forth in Brick Head’s “Bodybuilding Bible”.
  2. Report back with revised program.

Umm the db bench and db shoulder presses are redundant. Not enough direct arm work, calves are missing. You need to redo the whole thing. I guess I’ll give you my routine to get the gist…

Legs

squats
lunges
leg ext
ham curls
ghr\sldl

Chest/Triceps

barbell bench
inclines
wide dips
incline flys

close grip bench off the pins
over head db ext.
Pushdowns

Back

Deadlift
BB Rows
Old School T Bars

Later on at night width

Rack Chins
Close grip chins or pull downs

Shoulders

Standing Military Press
Side laterals
Rear delt raises
Upright Rows

You need laterals

Biceps

BB curls
Incline Curls
Conc Curls

Calves are done Tuesdays Thursdays and saturdays

donkey raises
barbell raises.

I’m not saying copy my shit just giving examples of good exercise selection.

If you’re not at a level where you can design a decent program, why not just go with on of the 30 odd thousand that are on this site?

Im not picking on you but if you have to ask a bunch of people if your program makes sense, you probably aren’t at a level where you need to be making your own.

Seems like theres a million “hows my program” threads, is there something uncool i don’t know about about following a program someone else made?

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Umm the db bench and db shoulder presses are redundant.
[/quote]

Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m not quite sure I agree with that statement. Those are 2 quite different presses, at least the way I’ve been doing them. My chest isn’t fatigued on ‘shoulder day’ after a few sets of db shoulder presses (seated vertical or high incline).

To be clear, that’s not an endorsement of the poor program outlined by the OP.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[/quote]

Brick, you need to go back and number every paragraph and sentence from the BBBible thread so that folks can refer to it like Scripture.

Oh, interested in big shoulders? Well, 2nd Bricknyce 3:15 says “Thou shalt pick 2 movements”. Bricknyce 10:2-4 says “Thou shalt ramp thyne sets for several sets to a max weighteth set. Thou shalt presseth thyne final reppeths with thyne maximum intensiteth. Thou shalt then eateth, sleepeth, and groweth”.

I think he’s referring to them being redundant on their respective days. DB Bench and Barbell Bench on Chest Day and Barbell OHP and DB OHP on shoulder day.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m not quite sure I agree with that statement. Those are 2 quite different presses, at least the way I’ve been doing them. My chest isn’t fatigued on ‘shoulder day’ after a few sets of db shoulder presses (seated vertical or high incline).

To be clear, that’s not an endorsement of the poor program outlined by the OP.[/quote]

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

To be clear, that’s not an endorsement of the poor program outlined by the OP.[/quote]

it’s one thing to do flat bench then do db inclines but flat bench and db flat bench seems dumb. Maybe shoulder press and Arnold press but shoulder press than db shoulder press also seems dumb to me. But hey if it works, keep doing it.

[quote]pflifter wrote:
I think he’s referring to them being redundant on their respective days. DB Bench and Barbell Bench on Chest Day and Barbell OHP and DB OHP on shoulder day.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

thank you, exactly.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

it’s one thing to do flat bench then do db inclines but flat bench and db flat bench seems dumb. Maybe shoulder press and Arnold press but shoulder press than db shoulder press also seems dumb to me. But hey if it works, keep doing it. [/quote]

OK, my first thought was right-- I didn’t understand your post–> You said:

“the db bench and db shoulder presses are redundant.”

What you were really saying was “db bench is redundant after bb bench, and db shoulder press is redundant after bb shoulder press”. Your sentence reads that db bench is redundant with db shoulder press. At least that’s what I read.

If that clarification is correct, then I agree…

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

it’s one thing to do flat bench then do db inclines but flat bench and db flat bench seems dumb. Maybe shoulder press and Arnold press but shoulder press than db shoulder press also seems dumb to me. But hey if it works, keep doing it. [/quote]

OK, my first thought was right-- I didn’t understand your post–> You said:

“the db bench and db shoulder presses are redundant.”

What you were really saying was “db bench is redundant after bb bench, and db shoulder press is redundant after bb shoulder press”. Your sentence reads that db bench is redundant with db shoulder press. At least that’s what I read.

If that clarification is correct, then I agree…[/quote]

exactly big guy.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[/quote]

Brick, you need to go back and number every paragraph and sentence from the BBBible thread so that folks can refer to it like Scripture.

Oh, interested in big shoulders? Well, 2nd Bricknyce 3:15 says “Thou shalt pick 2 movements”. Bricknyce 10:2-4 says “Thou shalt ramp thyne sets for several sets to a max weighteth set. Thou shalt presseth thyne final reppeths with thyne maximum intensiteth. Thou shalt then eateth, sleepeth, and groweth”.
[/quote]

That is fucking hysterical!

Brick can you layout a well rounded program for me that trains each muscle twice a week? I’d appreciate it.

I got a great idea for you bro that has worked wonders for me. Do the program you posted and find out for yourself the shit that works and what doesn’t, revise the program from there on out as many times as you need and LEARN from your fucking mistakes. Bigest down fall I’ve had was having people give me programs, waste of my time because they are not me. Suggestions are great but that’s all you should get.

I got a great idea for you bro that has worked wonders for me. Do the program you posted and find out for yourself the shit that works and what doesn’t, revise the program from there on out as many times as you need and LEARN from your fucking mistakes. Bigest down fall I’ve had was having people give me programs, waste of my time because they are not me. Suggestions are great but that’s all you should get. [/quote]

Correct!

[quote]Liv92 wrote:
Brick can you layout a well rounded program for me that trains each muscle twice a week? I’d appreciate it. [/quote]

The problem is that I know NOTHING about you. Don’t know if you’re arms- or toros-dominant, what you weigh, what you eat, what your lifestyle is like, and so on.

If provided us with some more information, we can help you out with some stuff.