T Nation

Critique My Program

Hey guys,

Before you turn on the flame switch just keep in mind that this is the first program I’ve written. Basically, from lifting for about 2 years I’ve noticed that some of my muscles respond better to different rep ranges (obviously). I made this program as an amalgamation of some of my favorites that I’ve done over my training and I wanted to know what you thought.

I will be training 4-5 times a week with the following protocol

Chest/Shoulders
12x4 Flat Bench
3 sets of flies w/ 30 secs rest
4x10 Military Press
3 sets of side laterals w/ 30 secs rest

Quad Dominant Lower & Back
12x4 Squats
10x3 Chins

Arms
10x10 Dips
10x10 Hammer Curls (Slow Tempo)

Hip Dominant Lower
10x6 Deadlifts
4x10 Upright Rows

Suck? Too much volume? Apparent that I have no idea what I’m doing? Please critique.

[quote]hexx wrote:
Hey guys,

Before you turn on the flame switch just keep in mind that this is the first program I’ve written. Basically, from lifting for about 2 years I’ve noticed that some of my muscles respond better to different rep ranges (obviously). I made this program as an amalgamation of some of my favorites that I’ve done over my training and I wanted to know what you thought.

I will be training 4-5 times a week with the following protocol

Chest/Shoulders
12x4 Flat Bench
3 sets of flies w/ 30 secs rest
4x10 Military Press
3 sets of side laterals w/ 30 secs rest

Quad Dominant Lower & Back
12x4 Squats
10x3 Chins

Arms
10x10 Dips
10x10 Hammer Curls (Slow Tempo)

Hip Dominant Lower
10x6 Deadlifts
4x10 Upright Rows

Suck? Too much volume? Apparent that I have no idea what I’m doing? Please critique.[/quote]

Probably too much volume and too much frequency.

Personally I’d move the chins to the first day, add leg press + squat variant on day 2 and replace the upright row with a bent over BB row on day 4

These are just some random observations, what are your goals?

[quote]RayJay wrote:
Personally I’d move the chins to the first day, add leg press + squat variant on day 2 and replace the upright row with a bent over BB row on day 4

These are just some random observations, what are your goals?[/quote]

Ha…I read his post as him saying he was going to do all of that 4-5 days per week.

[quote]hexx wrote:
Hey guys,

Before you turn on the flame switch just keep in mind that this is the first program I’ve written. Basically, from lifting for about 2 years I’ve noticed that some of my muscles respond better to different rep ranges (obviously). I made this program as an amalgamation of some of my favorites that I’ve done over my training and I wanted to know what you thought.

I will be training 4-5 times a week with the following protocol

Chest/Shoulders
12x4 Flat Bench
3 sets of flies w/ 30 secs rest
4x10 Military Press
3 sets of side laterals w/ 30 secs rest

Quad Dominant Lower & Back
12x4 Squats
10x3 Chins

Arms
10x10 Dips
10x10 Hammer Curls (Slow Tempo)

Hip Dominant Lower
10x6 Deadlifts
4x10 Upright Rows

Suck? Too much volume? Apparent that I have no idea what I’m doing? Please critique.[/quote]

If you do attempt to do this… I would highly suggest you eat surplus calories (clean, but this is a given) but give priority to adequate rest days between sessions. Trying to do all of this in 4-5 days might be a little much but like anything in life… its worth a try. If I were you I would try to pinpoint exactly what areas you want/need the most improvement and priortize volume and frequency on those and slightly modify areas your stronger in with lesser volume, but keep the intensity high (load, not perceived effor).

[quote]Wimpy wrote:
RayJay wrote:
Personally I’d move the chins to the first day, add leg press + squat variant on day 2 and replace the upright row with a bent over BB row on day 4

These are just some random observations, what are your goals?

Ha…I read his post as him saying he was going to do all of that 4-5 days per week.

[/quote]

haha no each body part is a different session. If I did that all in one day, you’d have to scrape my carcass off the gym floor.

I train mainly for aesthetics.

if you have this spread out over 4 or 5 days; its not to much volume.

Will say you should add bent over row as its an essential exercise.

Also, 4 sets of squats for once a week seems pretty low for the leg work (maybe add some leg presses or more sets of squats); may want to also add some leg curls or lunges for the hams. 10 sets of dips seems a little excessive. Maybe 5 sets of dips and 5 sets of skull crushers. your arm work for biceps seems a little excessive when you compare it to the work you are doing for your legs/chest and other body parts. No calve work either; may want to add calve work if you are training for aesthetics.

In general, your leg routine consisting of only 4 sets of squat using a once a week routine is really week… and all the rest of your work is dedicated to upper body… you need a lot more legs in there if you want to look right aethetically.

for the record its 12 sets of four reps (i thought it was set then reps). If your legs dont feel like glue afterward, then you’re not doing it right =D.