Critique My PHAT PROM Routine

Hey guys!
I decided to post here, because it seems more reasonable then in the bodybuilding forum and powerlifting is my main goal. What do you think about mixing Layne Norton’s PHAT and George Leeman’s PROM for deadlift program?
I’m thinking of removing the hypertrophy day from PHAT, because my legs are already HUGE compared to my upper body, and substituting it for PROM.
I’ve been doing madcows for 12 weeks and I’m planning on doing new 1RM’s this week. I’ve been making great gains on it, but I’m feeling a bit tired of it and want to try this while I’m maintaining/recomping/cutting.

STATS:
Male
Age: 20 (been lifting for a year, even less on a proper routine)
Height: 190cm / 6ft 3in
Weight. 97kg / 214lbs ~20% BF or at least I think so. I’m pretty fat
Squat: 145kg / 320 lbs x5
Bench: 85kg / 187 lbs x5
Deadlift: 165lg / 364 lbs x5
OHP: 45kg / 99 lbs x5
Pendlay row: 85kg / 187 lbs x5

The routine would look like this:
DAY 1: Upper body power day
Flat Bench Press: 3 sets 3-5 reps
Pendlay Row: 3 sets 3-5 reps
Weighted Dips: 2 sets 6-10 reps
Weighted Pull ups: 2 sets 6-10 reps
OHP: 3 sets 6-10 reps
Barbell Curls: 3 sets 6-10 reps
Skull Crushers:3 sets 6-10 reps

DAY 2: Lower body power day
Squats: 3 sets 3-5 reps
SLDL: 3 sets 5-8 reps
Leg Extensions: 2 sets 6-10 reps
Glute Ham Raises: 2 sets 6-10 reps
Standing Calf Raises: 3 sets 6-10 reps
Kneeling Cable Crunches: 3x30

DAY 3: Rest

DAY 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day
Pendlay Rows: 6 sets 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max SPEED WORK
T-bar Rows: 3 sets 8-12 reps
Close Grip Pulldowns: 2 sets 12-15 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press: 3 sets 8-12 reps
Upright Rows: 2 sets 12-15 reps
Side Raises: 3 sets 12-20 reps
Face Pulls: 3 sets 12-20 reps

DAY 5: PROM
You can easily find the progression scheme on bb . com, but idk if we’re allowed to post links form there, so I won’t.
Rack Pulls: 1 set AMRAP lowering the pin every time
Deadlift Stance Box Squat: 1 set keep adding weight every workout
Deficit Deadlift: 1 set keep adding weight every workout
Deadlift Stance Leg Press: keep adding plates till I can’t hit 20 reps
Leg Curl: 5x12-20
Back Extension: keep adding plates till i can’t hit 20 reps
Dumbbell Rows: 10 sets
Hanging leg raises: 2 sets AMRAP

DAY 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day
Flat Bench Press: 6 sets 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max SPEED WORK
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets 8-12 reps
Chest Press: 3 sets 12-15 reps
Incline Cable Flyes: 2 sets 15-20 reps
Cambered Bar Preacher Curls: 3 sets 8-12 reps
Dumbbell Concentration Curls: 2 sets 12-15 reps
Incline Dumbbell Curls: 2 sets 15-20 reps
Seated Triceps Extension with Cambered Bar: 3 sets 8-12 reps
Cable Pressdowns with Rope: 2 sets 12-15 reps
Cable Kickbacks: 2 sets 15-20 reps

DAY 7: Rest

I also train systema and work manual labour. I maintain on ~4000kcal, which is great, because I LOVE eating… Sleep 7-8 hours.
Thanks!

These programs weren’t designed to be melded together… Go ahead and try it but I don’t think you will get anyone to co-sign this for you.

If I had a nickel for every time one of these frankenstein programs worked, I couldn’t afford a f*cking gumbball.

FFS

What is this epidemic of "my legs are already big enoug/too big "…

Pic or its not happening.

PHAT works by itself, By the way.

2 Likes

PROM is designed to be used with other routines, but PHAT isn’t. I still want to try, so I just wanted to see what people thought.

Just measured waist and legs.
Waist is 87cm / 34in. which I know is a lot, but I store a lot of my fat in my waist area, and almost nowhere else. also it’s after a full day of eating, so I am kinda bloated.
Quads are both 75cm / 29,5 in cold
Arms are 39cm / 15.3in cold which is absolute shit, but I’ve never trained them directly.
I don’t know what my legs/waist or whatever ratio should be, nor do I care. But they look big to me and that’s all that matters.
For legs I’ve only done squats and deadlifts, so by adding all of that volume they’re going to grow even more.

Good God that’s a lot of exercises.

My workout today was:
Deadlift 3x3
BB Snatch Grip Row 3x20
Inverted Row 100 reps

I was dripping with sweat after.

What specifically about this Frankenstein do you think will accomplish your goal of “maintaining/recomping/cutting”.

I say drop PROM and add in my Conjugate High Intensity Calf Killer program.

Available now at only $39.95!

Jumping into a PHAT PROM frankenstein program is not the way to find out if it will work.

Run the PROM routine by itself for the full 12 weeks. Get in touch with George Leeman about what kind of upper body work to do. Or do something minimal. Just do dips and curls or whatever. Keep it minimal.

MINIMAL

Once you know how you respond to PROM then you can start tinkering

You have to recognize that if you are doing martial arts and working manual labor, PROM even by itself might break your back after 4 weeks

1 Like

LOL, agreed.

There is certainly something to the idea of working harder on your weak points than your strong points, but the OP is essentially a beginner, and should be training everything hard.

I’ve been doing minimal programs since I started lifting and wanted to try something with a lot of volume to see how my body reacts. I can’t know until I try.
Well I chose PHAT, because it had a lot of volume and great reviews online. I wanted to mix it with PROM, because I wanted to implement rack pulls in PHAT, and also deadlifts, because I love deadlifting. I think I can make gains while on a slow cut, especially since I am still a beginner.

I’ve been doing martial arts 7 days a week, working 8 hours a day, including Saturdays and working out full body 4 times a week and recovered just fine and felt great.

So should I just do PHAT and implement rack pulls and deadlifts in some other way?

Don’t really get these ‘critique my version of…’ threads that constantly pop up nowadays… Something really needy about them…

Anyway OP just do some exercises, come out the gym feeling fucked and let the magic happen. You’re still a young buck and will figure it all out

I just wanted advice and I saw that that’s the way most people format their question, so I decided to do the same, so that you understand what I’m in need for help of.

I say do it. CT said hard work trumps any crappy program so work hard and reap the rewards.

I’m confused because you asked if this program looked good and then, just like every other person who posts this type of shit, you say you’re going to do it anyway after countless people say its shit. Just try it and see. Why do so many people need someone to suck their ego dicks and say they came up with a God-like program. It looks like a cluster fuck to me, but go on and try it, get burnt out on it in a few weeks and come back with a new cluster fuck for people to critique. See you in a couple of weeks breh

1 Like

When did I say that I would do it anyway?
When did I say that I came up with a God-like program?
Why is a routine, with so many positive reviews, a cluster fuck? I just changed the lowerbody hypertrophy to lowerbody power. Which I’ve already read positive reviews on. Besides PHAT is a template that should be changed to ones needs.
I could just try it for 3 months and see how my body reacts. With measurements and pictures. If the results are good I can post about it and if there’s someone else out there who would like to try could do it too. But I wanted to ask what people thought about it, because someone might have experience with something like this and help me/give me advice.

And that’s exactly what you got. The consensus of advice is, don’t do the mash-up program laid out in your first post.

[quote=“ActivitiesGuy, post:9, topic:222246”]

LOL, agreed.[/quote]
x3 on this. And I’d add that describing yourself as “pretty fat” should put somewhat of a damper on having 29.5-inch legs to anyone with a healthy ego and a solid foothold in reality. Like saying “I’m pretty fat, but my 19-inch arms are HUGE.” No, bro, no they’re not.

But I don’t have any fat in my legs. As I previously mentioned I hold almost all of the fat in my waist area.

Then you have one of the weirdest physiques I’ve read about. 20ish% bodyfat while carrying almost all your fat around your 34" waist. 6’3" and 214 with lean 29.5-inch quads. A pic would clear things up if you’re up for it.

3 Likes