Critique My New Workout

I’ve been working quite hard in the gym for the last couple of weeks despite some nagging injuries, but have decided to solidify a program and keep a detailed log of my progress. Here’s something I cooked up, and I was wondering if some members who are more experienced than I am could offer me some pointers.
Thanks,
Alex

This will probably be a Monday/Tuesday/off/Thursday/Friday/off/off
split with alternating workouts between Upperbody and Lowerbody.
For example:
Monday - Upperbody 1
Tuesday - Lowerbody 1
Thursday - Upperbody 2
Friday - Lowerbody 2

Upperbody Workout 1
Dynamic Warm up
BB Bench Press
DB Row
Incline DB Press
DB Bicep Curls
Lateral Raises
Planks/Side Bridges
Scap Pushups
Static Stretches

UpperbodyWorkout 1a (Alternating with 1 every 3rd week)
Dynamic Warmup
DB Bench Press
Seated Cable Row
Dips
Hammer Curls
Lateral Raises
Planks/Side Bridges
Scap Pushups
Static Stretches

UpperbodyWorkout 2
Dynamic Warm up
Seated DB Military Press
Chin up
Reverse Flies
Hammer Curls
Planks/Side Bridges
Face pulls
Static Stretches

UpperbodyWorkout 2b (Alternating with 2 every 3rd week)
Dynamic Warmup
Jerk
Pull up
Reverse Flies
DB Bicep Curls
Planks/Side Bridges
Face Pulls
Static Stretches

LowerbodyWorkout 1
DE Deadlift (Always 2 sets of 4-6 reps)
Front Squats
GHR
Side Lunges
Weighted Crunches
Planks/Side Bridges
Static Stretches

LowerbodyWorkout 1a (Alternating with 1 every 3rd week)
Back Squats
Step Ups
Weighted Crunches
Planks/Side Bridges
Static Stretches

LowerbodyWorkout 2
DB Lunges
Good Mornings
Hanging leg raises
Planks/Side Bridges
Static Stretches

LowerbodyWorkout 2a (Alternating with 2 every 3rd week)
Bulgarian Split Squats
Box Squats
Hanging leg raises
Planks/Side Bridges
Static Stretches

I?m planning to ME deadlift once a month instead of DE deadlift.

My rep/set scheme is going to look like the following except for DE Deadlift:

Week 1 4x8
Week 2 5x3
Week 3 2x12
Week 4 6x2
Repeat

I?m also planning to rotate the first few exercises every 6th week.

I have more chest pressing exercises because my chest lags behind my back, so this is a conscious decision on my part. As for triceps/forearms/traps/calves, I?ll probably just throw some arbitrary accessory work in there some days. As for mobility work, I?m working on balancing out some hip issues, increasing thoracic mobility and increasing lumbar stability.

Anyone see any major problems?

bump

[quote]DemiAjax wrote:
I’ve been working quite hard in the gym for the last couple of weeks despite some nagging injuries, but have decided to solidify a program and keep a detailed log of my progress. Here’s something I cooked up, and I was wondering if some members who are more experienced than I am could offer me some pointers.
Thanks,
Alex

This will probably be a Monday/Tuesday/off/Thursday/Friday/off/off
For example:
Monday - Upperbody 1
Tuesday - Lowerbody 1
Thursday - Upperbody 2
Friday - Lowerbody 2

Upperbody Workout 1
Dynamic Warm up
BB Bench Press
DB Row
Incline DB Press
DB Bicep Curls
Lateral Raises
Planks/Side Bridges
Scap Pushups
Static Stretches

UpperbodyWorkout 1a (Alternating with 1 every 3rd week)
Dynamic Warmup
DB Bench Press
Seated Cable Row
Dips
Hammer Curls
Lateral Raises
Planks/Side Bridges
Scap Pushups
Static Stretches

UpperbodyWorkout 2
Dynamic Warm up
Seated DB Military Press
Chin up
Reverse Flies
Hammer Curls
Planks/Side Bridges
Face pulls
Static Stretches

UpperbodyWorkout 2b (Alternating with 2 every 3rd week)
Dynamic Warmup
Jerk
Pull up
Reverse Flies
DB Bicep Curls
Planks/Side Bridges
Face Pulls
Static Stretches

LowerbodyWorkout 1
Front Squats
GHR
Side Lunges
Weighted Crunches
Planks/Side Bridges
Static Stretches

LowerbodyWorkout 1a (Alternating with 1 every 3rd week)
Back Squats
Step Ups
Weighted Crunches
Planks/Side Bridges
Static Stretches

LowerbodyWorkout 2
DB Lunges
Good Mornings
Hanging leg raises
Planks/Side Bridges
Static Stretches

LowerbodyWorkout 2a (Alternating with 2 every 3rd week)
Bulgarian Split Squats
Box Squats
Hanging leg raises
Planks/Side Bridges
Static Stretches

I?m planning to ME deadlift once a month instead of DE deadlift.

My rep/set scheme is going to look like the following except for DE Deadlift:

Week 1 4x8
Week 2 5x3
Week 3 2x12
Week 4 6x2
Repeat

I?m also planning to rotate the first few exercises every 6th week.

I have more chest pressing exercises because my chest lags behind my back, so this is a conscious decision on my part. As for triceps/forearms/traps/calves, I?ll probably just throw some arbitrary accessory work in there some days. As for mobility work, I?m working on balancing out some hip issues, increasing thoracic mobility and increasing lumbar stability.

Anyone see any major problems?
[/quote]

I’m glad to see someone on here that knows what they’re doing. Obviously you have been reading. That last point you made about working on mobility etc. is probably the most important, so don’t let that work lag behind, b/c we all know it isn’t as fun. That aside, I like your 4-day set up, just make sure you keep the volume in check.

Are you training for powerlifting? Or do you just like the DE DL? I wouldn’t do the planks/side bridges every workout, but they are useful so keep them in there often. I’d cut out the hanging leg raises, and maybe cut the lateral raises, while adding in more rowing. I don’t like squatting and deadlifting on the same day, and i don’t think the back squat should be in there either. I’d like to see more unilateral work, but you have some in there which is better than most people.

By the way why do u have 2x4-6 reps for the DE DL? Typically it would be 8x3 or something. Analyze what you have used in the past and how it has worked. I’m glad you’re doing a dynamic warmup for the upper body-did you buy I/O or did u just make one up? Good job, good luck.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:

I’m glad to see someone on here that knows what they’re doing. Obviously you have been reading. That last point you made about working on mobility etc. is probably the most important, so don’t let that work lag behind, b/c we all know it isn’t as fun. That aside, I like your 4-day set up, just make sure you keep the volume in check.

Are you training for powerlifting? Or do you just like the DE DL? I wouldn’t do the planks/side bridges every workout, but they are useful so keep them in there often. I’d cut out the hanging leg raises, and maybe cut the lateral raises, while adding in more rowing. I don’t like squatting and deadlifting on the same day, and i don’t think the back squat should be in there either. I’d like to see more unilateral work, but you have some in there which is better than most people.

By the way why do u have 2x4-6 reps for the DE DL? Typically it would be 8x3 or something. Analyze what you have used in the past and how it has worked. I’m glad you’re doing a dynamic warmup for the upper body-did you buy I/O or did u just make one up? Good job, good luck.[/quote]

Thanks for the response.
I’m not particularly training for powerlifting, but I just want to get strong. I’ll probably cut out the back squat and just throw in a ME deadlift day there.

The DE deadlift is more like a RE deadlift, I’m mainly looking to work on getting the reps in to hammer out my form. Who knows, maybe i’ll just stick with 8x3 or something. I think I’m also going to add some one legged bodyweight squats at the end of the workouts for more unilateral work.

About the increased rowing, I’ve always been a big rower, my bent over row 3 rm with no leg drive / ridiculous torso swaying is more than my 1 rm bench press. Basically, I think for my row to get stronger my bench needs to get stronger first. Maybe i’ll throw in some T-Bar rows or something for some variety.

As for dynamic upperbody warmup, I’ve just been doing some stuff with bands to get my muscles working, but I’m probably going to buy I/O.

[quote]DemiAjax wrote:
bruinsdmb wrote:

By the way why do u have 2x4-6 reps for the DE DL? Typically it would be 8x3 or something. Analyze what you have used in the past and how it has worked. I’m glad you’re doing a dynamic warmup for the upper body-did you buy I/O or did u just make one up? Good job, good luck.

Thanks for the response.
I’m not particularly training for powerlifting, but I just want to get strong. I’ll probably cut out the back squat and just throw in a ME deadlift day there.

The DE deadlift is more like a RE deadlift, I’m mainly looking to work on getting the reps in to hammer out my form. Who knows, maybe i’ll just stick with 8x3 or something. I think I’m also going to add some one legged bodyweight squats at the end of the workouts for more unilateral work.

About the increased rowing, I’ve always been a big rower, my bent over row 3 rm with no leg drive / ridiculous torso swaying is more than my 1 rm bench press. Basically, I think for my row to get stronger my bench needs to get stronger first. Maybe i’ll throw in some T-Bar rows or something for some variety.

As for dynamic upperbody warmup, I’ve just been doing some stuff with bands to get my muscles working, but I’m probably going to buy I/O.
[/quote]

If thats the case w/ your DL, then don’t call it a DE DL. The RE method is not suited for DLs-i wouldnt go over 5 reps or so on the DL, and if you can, use a trap bar. The only bilateral DL I would do now is the trap bar. I agree with Boyle that for long term health the DL and back squat are probably harmful. The 1-leg SLDL is my alternative choice. Anyway thats just me. I strongly reccommend buying I/O and/or MM. Good luck.

Overall, this routine is way better than most of the routines people post here. Do your first options, workouts 1 and 2, on your first month, and options 1a and 2a your second month. Here’s a couple other suggestions.

Throw out the weighted crunches and do some cable woodchops and/or db sidebends instead. Do higher reps/lighter weight with the face pulls and scap pushups, and substitute some lying external rotations and wall slides on some of those days.

[quote]This will probably be a Monday/Tuesday/off/Thursday/Friday/off/off
For example:
Monday - Upperbody 1
Tuesday - Lowerbody 1
Thursday - Upperbody 2
Friday - Lowerbody 2[/quote]

Whoa! This is just what I had planned to do next. I thought that I’d do for example workout 1 lowrep-many sets and workout 2 highrep-fewer sets type. I had a mild strain in lower back 2 months ago and only now I’m almost fully recovered from it. So I thought I’d give it still a small break by doing the biggest bilateral lifts (squat/variations & deadlift/variations) only once a week. The 2nd lowerbody day would consist of unilateral movements & cable pullthrough.