T Nation

Critique My New Routine Please

Here is the routine i have recently devised. Iv taken inspiration from CTs new routine and the information posted recently about the rep and the autoregulation of training.

Iv been training seriously for 2-3 years and my stats are as follows:
Weight: 199lbs
Height: 6ft 1
Bodyfat: 12-13%
Bench 1RM: 135kg
Squat 1RM: 165kg
Deadlift 1RM: 210kg
Overhead press 1RM: 72.5kg

My routine is as follows. I complete 4 or 5 workouts over a 7 day period, taking my 2-3 rest days when i need them. The order of workouts isnt planned, i simply train whichever muscle group isnt sore/fatigued and ensure that the workouts don’t interfere with eachother. They are as follows

Upper push, Upper Pull, Lower anterior, Lower posterior, Lagging bodyparts

Each workout consists of 2 compound movements, if i feel up to it on a given day i can split the workout into an AM and a PM session. For example:

Upper Push AM:
Bench press variation + CV

PM:
Overhead press + assistance work

For each movement i start at around 50-55% of 1RM and ramp the weight in sets of 3 usually untill 85-90% or i feel like my CNS is primed. At which point I drop the weight and do 4-5 straight sets of 3-6 reps.

Any tips or feedback would be appreciated
Thanks

I just feel like someone should let you know… bodybuilding really isn’t that complicated.

You don’t need to call a quad workout “lower anterior”, and you don’t need to worry about when your “CNS is primed”.

Besides that, only doing 2 compound movements per workout, especially when you’re probably doing too many bodyparts for a “push” day, and you have a quad and hamstring workout right next to each other, makes the whole thing very minimal.

Why not just train normally?

Mr popular,

Firstly, i don’t see why you think the name of a workout makes it more complicate it. I’ll be sure to only refer to any lower body training as “legs” in future, my sincere apologies.

Secondly, i state that i use assistance exercises after the second compound movement and why you think that training sholders, triceps and chest in the same workout is “too many bodyparts” is beyond me.

Thirdly, i clearly outline at the start that the order of the workouts is not planned and that i train what i feel is best recovered on any given day. The workouts are simply listed in that order.

Fourthly, why is being concerned about CNS activation a bad thing, after all it is the CNS which controls muscle contraction. Maybe muscle contraction isn’t important in the world of highly simplified normal training.

Finially, i dont mind constructive critisism, however, dispelling my ideas and adding that i should ‘train’ normally is frankly a shit excuse to tear apart someone’s ideas. Also, at least read what i have written before assuming its wrong. However, if your willing to write me a ‘normal’ routine i will be sure to read it, then promptly wipe my arse with it. Thanks
Thanks for the advice

Hi yusef,

Well i did beast building parts 1 and 2 and then stopped when they took the power rack out of the gym. Since then iv been trying to use some of CTs tips and they have helped a lot. What about you, i hear your still doing 5/3/1?

Haha, don’t worry. Well, If your sticking with 5/3/1 for that length of time i imagine you’ll see pretty good results providing diet etc is in check. Yea the stuff he’s written about recently just really made sense to me and iv been reading a lot of his previous articles. The approach iv taken recently is inspired by his “what am i doing now” thread if you want to read it, it seems like a lot of volume but it does really work. My advice would be stick with 5/3/1 and id be very surprised if your lifts don’t shoot up. We should have a training session with everyone ay xmas if your up for it?

Nice work bro, good numbers.

Have you considered the Texas Method? Might give you a little more structure (and little less feel) about the balance over your workouts in terms of volume / recovery / intensity. Rippetoe’s Practical Programming book could be informative here.

@ tiburontiburon

Thanks, Iv looked at the texas method before, i did consider it as i like the change between intensity, volume and recovery. One of the main reasons i tried writing my own was to prove i could do it. I think ill stick with it for the time being and follow your advice of giving it more structure by planning the workouts for the week on monday. If i stop seeing results ill give the texas method a shot, thanks for the advice

Cool, good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

If I were you, I wouldn’t split up the workouts into two different parts until you have developed a great deal of endurance and adapted to doing 2 movements intensely in the same day. I like how you are only focusing on a few compound movements and just cranking up the intensity of each exercises. I myself and doing a push/pull/legs template that is similar to what you are doing, except I perform 3 compound movements of each type in one session and then rest one day and repeat.

Overall, I like the looks of what you are doing. But, as it has already been said, don’t overcomplicate things…

Good luck man.

[quote]jonny142 wrote:
Here is the routine i have recently devised. Iv taken inspiration from CTs new routine and the information posted recently about the rep and the autoregulation of training.

Iv been training seriously for 2-3 years and my stats are as follows:
Weight: 199lbs
Height: 6ft 1
Bodyfat: 12-13%
Bench 1RM: 135kg
Squat 1RM: 165kg
Deadlift 1RM: 210kg
Overhead press 1RM: 72.5kg

My routine is as follows. I complete 4 or 5 workouts over a 7 day period, taking my 2-3 rest days when i need them. The order of workouts isnt planned, i simply train whichever muscle group isnt sore/fatigued and ensure that the workouts don’t interfere with eachother. They are as follows

Upper push, Upper Pull, Lower anterior, Lower posterior, Lagging bodyparts

Each workout consists of 2 compound movements, if i feel up to it on a given day i can split the workout into an AM and a PM session. For example:

Upper Push AM:
Bench press variation + CV

PM:
Overhead press + assistance work

For each movement i start at around 50-55% of 1RM and ramp the weight in sets of 3 usually untill 85-90% or i feel like my CNS is primed. At which point I drop the weight and do 4-5 straight sets of 3-6 reps.

Any tips or feedback would be appreciated
Thanks [/quote]

Looks good man, I’m actually doing a split along those lines as well (following some of what Thib outlines), one thing I’m not sure on is when you say

are you talking about what days you do the workouts, or what compound movements you do inside of the workouts? If it’s the former of the two, then that totally seems fine to me, but if it’s the latter, then I might try going for a little more structure. I know personally I’ve made way better gains following a set-in-stone order of the lifts I do for an X amount of time (upping the intensity of course) that just going in there and “lifting” you know? Just my two cents. Either way great job man, hopefully I’ll get to 199 soon! haha Then again, I’m a newbie, what do I know lol