Critique My Lifts

Currently doing single leg stuff for now(have a glute activation problem and my right knee occasionally flares up), but I figure Id appreciate some feedback from the veterans. Also doing more shoulder work and cutting back on benching till i get my overhead press strong(only currently doing 135x5).

Enjoy:

Squat:

Deadlift

Romanian deadlift:

Bench press:

Not sure I’d consider myself a veteran…but I’ll give my input anyway. :slight_smile:

As a general note for those exercises, you’re probably better taping lifts with weight or at a rep range that is more challenging for you. Particularly on the deadlift, it looks like you had a lot more left in you and everyone has perfect form until they use some challenging weights.

In regards to squatting, try getting the feet wider and sit BACK before sitting DOWN. If you bend the knees before or at the same time as moving the hips backwards, you will generally put more unneeded stress on the knees. Move the hips back first, and then bend the knees.

Deadlift looks good, but like I said, a heavier attempt would be more telling. Don’t sit for so long in the bottom position. Get your grip, stance, and mind set and then just rip it off the floor. No need to waste energy and possible fatigue the lower back hanging out in the starting position.

-Matt

They look good but what are your goals

Your wasting a ton of time and energy on the DL pausing down on the bar looking at the mirror etc before you pull then while I believe bouncing the weight has its place at times when repping you may consider pausing your reps so its an actual Dead lift most times

that and bench if looking to compete at all learn to pause the bar in the bottom and not bounce it Off your chest

Nice work all in all bro keep it up

Phill

MY goal is to get a 300lb squat minimum for repping, and over a 400lb deadlift. Bench I want to at least max 300 sometime in my life, but I am more concerned with my leg lifts than upper body.

Im really trying to hit single leg hard right now again because my body is putting all the stress on the knees and hamstrings rather than the glutes. So I am using dynamic stretching everyday followed by static stretching of the quads, hip flexors, and groin with foam rolling before that and glute activation work. Seems to be working and my glutes are starting to get sore.

Thanks guys. Keep em coming!!!

Overall your form on those were above average. A few criticisms though.

On the squat you’re breaking from the knees first which can lead to a lot of problems once you get to heavier weight.

Romanian deadlift doesn’t look like you have enough tension on your glutes and hamstrings. Looks like you’re just doing back bends.

On regular deadlift, form looks fine but pay attention to what you’re doing. looking over your shoulder like that right before you pull will get you hurt.

if your going to squat that narrow, push your knees out and drop in between your legs. Otherwise, sit BACK and then down.

your deadlift was ok, but you need to not wait so long @ the bottom as stated above.

p.s :

I thought I was the only one who smuggled chalk into the gym in a plastic bag.

Looks good but I’d switch to front squats and slow down the eccentric, and move to 1-leg RDLs.

Mabye an over/under grip on the deads.?
GO HEAVY!

Here is some of todays workout vids:

Split squat

Overhead squat w/empty bar

[quote]gainera2582 wrote:

Overhead squat w/empty bar

I may be wrong looking at it from that angle, but on the overhead squat I believe you need to get the bar further behind your head. In your current position, you are not off-balance because there is no weight on the bar. If you were to add considerable weight, you would tend to stumble forward. Like I said, maybe it’s the angle of the camera and I could therefore be wrong.

Another comment on the overhead squat. There is something blocking the camera, but it appears that you may need to go deeper in the hole.

Overall your lifts look good, but I’d like to highlight what robo1 wrote.

[quote]robo1 wrote:

On the squat you’re breaking from the knees first which can lead to a lot of problems once you get to heavier weight.

Romanian deadlift doesn’t look like you have enough tension on your glutes and hamstrings. Looks like you’re just doing back bends.

[/quote]

I was doing both of these similar to you and I found that if I focused on my hips (even exaggerating the movement) I learned to really use my posterior chain.

So in the squat try to focus on sitting back as much as possible.

For the RDLs just think about pushing your ass backwards. Don’t even focus on bending, your body will need to in order to keep you from falling over. Also make sure you keep your knees bent at the same angle throughout the movement and your chest up.

Your goals don’t look too far off, keep it up.