T Nation

Critique My Keto Bulk Training/Diet

Ok this is my second time doing a keto bulk. last time i shot my calories upto about 3800 calories and was gaining 2-3.5lb. of bodyweight a week which was way too fast and i gained too much fat with the muscle. this time i want to do it more conservatively and hopefully can achieve the results of clean gains and maybe even a drop in bf%

any advice, tips, etc… is great appreciated.

Pre workout
-1 scoop protein powder: 90 calories, 17g protein, 1g carbs, 1g fat
SUBTOTALS: 90 calories, 17 protein, 1g carbs, 1g fat

Meal 1(post workout)
-Protein powder, 1.5 scoops: 165 calories, 34.5g protein, 1.5g carbs, 2.25g fat
-Chicken breast, 3 oz: 100 calories, 21g protein, 0 carbs, 0 fat
-2 Tbsp olive oil: 240 calories, 0g protein, 0g carbs, 28g fat (1 hour after above foods)
-smarties, 2 packs: 50 calories, 0g protein, 12g carbs, 0g fat<----?? should i have that, i was thinking of just taking it out
SUBTOTALS: 555 calories, 55 protein, 13.5 carbs, 29.5g fat

Meal 1 ( non workout days)
-Chicken breast, 3 oz: 100 calories, 21g protein, 0 carbs, 0 fat
-Peanut butter, 2.33 tbsp: 210 calories, 8.15g protein, 7g carbs, 18.65g fat
-Protein powder, 1.5 scoops: 165 calories, 34.5g protein, 1.5g carbs, 2.25g fat
-1.33 Tbsp olive oil: 160 calories, 0g protein, 0g carbs, 18.67g fat
SUBTOTALS: 635 calories, 63.65g protein, 8.5g carbs, 39.57g fat

Meal 2
-Cottage cheese, 3/4 cup: 135 calories, 21g protein, 9g carbs, 2.25g fat
-Peanuts, 1.25oz: 200 calories, 8.75g protein, 3.75g carbs, 17.5g fat
-Peanuts, 1.25oz: 200 calories, 8.75g protein, 3.75g carbs, 17.5g fat
SUBTOTALS: 535 calories, 38.5g protein, 16.5g carbs, 37.25g fat

Meal 3
-2 whole eggs: 140 calories, 12g protein, 2g carbs, 9g fat
-Broccoli, 5oz.: 50 calories, 2g protein, 8g carbs, 0g fat
-1 turkey burger:150 calories, 19g protein, 0g carbs, 9g fat
-1 Tbsp olive oil: 120 calories, 0g protein, 0g carbs, 14g fat
SUBTOTALS: 460 calories, 33g protein, 2g 10g carbs, 32g fat

Meal 4

  • 1 Tbsp olive oil: 120 calories, 0g protein, 0g carbs, 14g fat
    -mayonnaise, 1tbsp: 90 calories, 0g protein, 0g carbs, 10g fat
    -1 can tuna: 125 calories, 27.5g protein, 1g carbs, 2.5g fat
    -3oz. Salmon: 120 calories, 16.0125g protein, 0g carbs,6.6g fat
    -Broccoli, 8oz.: 85 calories, 4g protein, 14g carbs, 0g fat
    SUBTOTALS:540 calories, 52.5125g protein, 1g 15g carbs, 33.1g

Meal 5
-1 Tbsp olive oil: 120 calories, 0g protein, 0g carbs, 14g fat
-0.5 oz. Peanuts: 80 calories, 3.5g protein, 1.5g carbs, 7g fat
-mayonnaise, 1tbsp: 90 calories, 0g protein, 0g carbs, 10g fat
SUBTOTALS:290 calories, 3.5g protein,1.5 carbs, 31g

Meal 6
-Cottage cheese, 3/4 cup: 135 calories, 21g protein, 9g carbs, 2.25g fat
-1 whole egg: 70 calories, 6g protein, 1g carbs, 4.5g fat
-1.33 Tbsp olive oil: 160 calories, 0g protein, 0g carbs, 18.67g fat
SUBTOTALS: 365 calories, 27 protein, 10g carbs , 24.42g fat

TOTAL: 2875 calories, 230.8375g protein, 42.75g carbs ,187.725g fat 2793.225
33.43%P 6.05%C 60.49%F

thats the diet for that amount of calories that i followed last time but i may change some thing. i think i should definitely add some red meat.

my training will be the hypertrophy routines from “New Rules of Lifting” by Alwyn Cosgrove.

cardio:?? what should i do? i always do HIIT but i’ve heard that isnt good during keto

carb up: i’m gonna start conservatively with just 24 hours at the same level of calories because i’m an endo and gain fat very easily

supplements: fish oil, multivitamin, protein powder, creatine. is creatine still going to be helping me during the week on keto?

Thanks again for any help

If you’re and endo, then just use carbs at certain times of the day, when they can be used to our advantage.

I honestly think that bulking up on a keto diet is the not an optimal way ot put on muscle.

[quote]rsg wrote:
If you’re and endo, then just use carbs at certain times of the day, when they can be used to our advantage.

I honestly think that bulking up on a keto diet is the not an optimal way ot put on muscle.[/quote]

what so like a TKD? i’m considering that too as i’ve heard thats geared more towards bulking

TKD?

[quote]rsg wrote:
If you’re and endo, then just use carbs at certain times of the day, when they can be used to our advantage.

I honestly think that bulking up on a keto diet is the not an optimal way ot put on muscle.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
rsg wrote:
If you’re and endo, then just use carbs at certain times of the day, when they can be used to our advantage.

I honestly think that bulking up on a keto diet is the not an optimal way ot put on muscle.

Agreed.[/quote]

ok i can definitely see it not being optimal for mass but what about being optimal for keeping fat to a minimum while clean bulking?

I haven’t tried to bulk on a Keto diet but I do have some suggestions as far as food choices.

  1. Instead of peanuts I would use almonds, walnuts, and macadamia nuts

  2. Instead of always using Olive oil, try some other healthy oils. I’ve tried Walnut and Macadamia nut oils and both are good.

  3. Smarties, looks like candy? Why is that in your meal plan?

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
I haven’t tried to bulk on a Keto diet but I do have some suggestions as far as food choices.

  1. Instead of peanuts I would use almonds, walnuts, and macadamia nuts

  2. Instead of always using Olive oil, try some other healthy oils. I’ve tried Walnut and Macadamia nut oils and both are good.

  3. Smarties, looks like candy? Why is that in your meal plan?[/quote]

  1. i was actually planning on a lot of peanuts, cashews, and peanut butter especially…whats wrong with them?

  2. ok i’ll try those but again whats wrong with olive oil?

  3. yea it is the candy, its basically completely dextrose which is why i was taking it but i think i might take it out

You were gaining 2-3.5 lbs on a keto diet before, what makes you think carbs are your problem?

sounds like you were eating way too much (sounds like you need a lot less than 3800 cals) and that your training wasn’t effective.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
You were gaining 2-3.5 lbs on a keto diet before, what makes you think carbs are your problem?

sounds like you were eating way too much (sounds like you need a lot less than 3800 cals) and that your training wasn’t effective.
[/quote]

Yea i was definitely gaining too quickly with that amount which is why i plan on starting with about 2700 calories this time.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
You were gaining 2-3.5 lbs on a keto diet before, what makes you think carbs are your problem?

sounds like you were eating way too much (sounds like you need a lot less than 3800 cals) and that your training wasn’t effective.

yea i was definitely gaining too quickly with that amount which is why i plan on starting with about 2700 calories this time. [/quote]

That sounds like a good amount. Wish I could grow off that, lol.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
David1991 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
You were gaining 2-3.5 lbs on a keto diet before, what makes you think carbs are your problem?

sounds like you were eating way too much (sounds like you need a lot less than 3800 cals) and that your training wasn’t effective.

yea i was definitely gaining too quickly with that amount which is why i plan on starting with about 2700 calories this time.

That sounds like a good amount. Wish I could grow off that, lol.
[/quote]

lol believe me i wish i could eat a lot more. well this week was good with the carb cycling so i’ll probably stay with that for some time. i think when/if i bulk with keto it’ll be a TKD though because that way i’m still in keto but i’m also having carbs properly timed around my workout