Critique My Hockey Strength Plan

Alright here is my quasi strength routine for the next three to four weeks. Basically to bridge the gap between meltdown and when i go back to school and start superstrenght/limping. I am finishing up a week off too.

I have tried to incorporate a lot of excersizes from various hockey programs i have been reading about, as well as some of the excerises from 5x5 training. I have left direct shoulder work out since my shoulders suck and I am getting them checked out soon enough so I want to give it them a bit of break, and they should get some indirect work on upper body days.

Let me know how badly i f’ed up

Day 1: Upper Body

Bench Press 5x5
Snatch Grip Row 3x5
Normal Grip Row 2x5
Wide Grip Pull up 4x5
Weighted Dips 4x5
Preacher curls- 3x5
Plyometrics
HIIT 20 minutes

Day 2 Lower Body
Squat 5x5
Sumo Deadlift 5x5
Lunges 5x6
One Legged Calf raises 4 x8
Back Extension 2 x 10

Day 3
Plyometrics
Aerobic conditioning on bike 30 minutes

Day 4 Upper Body
Incline Dumbell Press 5x5
Low Cable Rows 5x5
Flyes 3x5
One legged Bent Over Rows 3x8
Skullcrushers 4x5
Hammer curls 3x5
HIIT 20 Minutes

Day 5 Lower Body
Stiff Legged Deadlift 5x5
45 degree Lunge 5x5
IDEAS 5x5
Seated Calve Raises 4x5
Back Extensions 3x10

Day 6
Plyometerics

Day 7
OFF

Thanks for taking the time to read this far, and I appreciate any help you can give to someone who is still kinda new to designing his own routine

anyone?

I just realized how attrocious this formatting looks. But if you guys can make it through that, I would really appreciate some help

Suggestions:

1.) Read this! Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

2.) Train like an athlete, not a bodybuilder; your program
falls somewhere in between; dump the flyes.

3.) As an ex-hockey player, I’d say hanging-cleans performed
with hi-volume and moderate weight are quite germane
to your sport, especially when going into the corners; these are
a must!

4.) Take short rests in between sets.

5.) Squat DEEP! - don’t fall into the “ego” trap!

6.) God… I love deadlifts! Conventionals make me feel like I’m
taking a face-off, but if you prefer Sumo’s, that’s cool!

7.) Add some Cuban rotations for RC strength and reverse-hypers
for low-back health.

8.) Go to the previous issues section and read all of Coach D’s
unconventional, yet brutally effective training articles; if you
can’t glean at least a dozen gems you’re not looking hard enough!
At least read this one. www.testosterone.net/
articles/205abs2.html - (Real Abbs!)

P.S. What are One legged Bent Over Rows?

Uh, have you taken a look at renegadetraining.com for a Coach Davies’ training plan for hockey?

In the meantime, I'll take a look see at your post.....

I would suggest you talk to Coach Davies. He has some good programs for Hockey and he can probably assist you. He frequents these message boards, so maybe he will even respond.

Your program is COMPLETELY OFF. A one time contributor of T-mag named Chris Thibaudeau has a much better designed FREE off-season hockey program found on another online muscle site. Check it out. Or just contact John Davies

I play hockey too, and I would just like to say I don’t think you need to do that many exercises. Like calf raises, what is that going to do for your hockey skills? I stick to deadlifts, squats, dips, chins, rows, bench, and power cleans. Still working on the power clean form, but I hear they’re beneficial for just about every sport.

You guys are awesome.

To Respond:
Great Article, I know my RC are weak which is why I need to get my shoulders checked out (a strain and a tear in each one within the last year)…the only thing I found a little funny was this quote “If you can’t do it, you have, as my good friend Gary Roberts of the Hurricanes would say, “some issues.” These issues can range from a tight subscapularis to a weak infraspinatus. Before testing it, fix these problems.” This was written a couple years ago, but Roberts just had double shoulder surgery, so obviously these exersizes didnt help him much for that.
I’ll look into the hang cleans
I put sumo deads in there to strengthen groin, got that from a hockey conditioning book.
One legged bent over rows, are basically one arm rows without a bench to lean your knee on. You have to use all balance, while on one leg. Another excersize I picked up from a hockey book
The flyes and the calve raises are my token BB excersize, obviously they wont do much for my game but in the words of Jason Giambi “you gotta look sexy to play sexy”…
I will check out all those sites. Thanks again.

I would reconsider some of your work to focus more on training for the success on the ice. First you need to revise with much more rotational work to assist skating / shooting action. In addition - this this time of year needs to reflect a final SPP period and you will need to adjust training volume for ICE time. I will be pleased to discuss more if you wish. In faith, Coach Davies

Check out johnberardi.com. There’s an article (2 parter) that addresses training for hockey. I believe it’s called “gladiator training.”