T Nation

Critique My HF Program

Hi, how are you?

Please critique my high frequency, daily workout program.

Unfortunately, my summer school schedule doesn't permit 2X per day training.

Instead, I plan to train high frequency 5 days per week.

Do you have any suggestions re this program?

Thank you so much for your help
Max

I was thinking of doing this -- please note the exercises are not in order regarding which comes first and last:

Day 1:
Bench press - regular.
Deadlift.
Pull ups
Bicep exercise
Tricep exercise

Day 2:
Bench Incline
Squat.
Bicep Exercise.
Tricep exercise.
Ab exercise.

Day 3:
Bench Decline
Bicep exercise.
Tricep exercise.
Ab exercise.
Pull-ups.

Day 4:
Bench press - regular.
Deadlift.
Tricep exercise.
Bicep exercise.
Ab exercise.

Day 5:
Bench Incline
Squat.
Bicep Exercise.
Tricep exercise.
Ab exercise.
Pull ups

Well, high frequency is good, but you've basically got a bench and curl program here. Try reading a few of the high frequency programs on this site and doing a redesign. You're missing rowing completely for example, plus your triceps are going to get way too much volume.

Hi,

I didn't want to have more pulling moves b/c:

A) I am trying to focus on getting better at pull-ups, and pulling movements would detract from making better pull-up gains.

B) I don't have the ability to do much pulling movements in my home gym.

But is it a good program?

Thanks
Max

A. Other pulling movements will not detract from pull-up gain, they will only help. And besides, if you are so insistent on getting better at pullups then why are you benching 5 times a week as the first exercise and only doing pull-ups 3 times a week towards the end?

B. If you have a barbell or dumbbells you can easily do rows. Bent-over rows, high pulls, one arm dumbbell rows, chest supported rows, etc. can all be done with only a barbell, dumbbells, and a bench.

And it is NOT a good program. Too much pressing, almost no pulling.

I posted this in another thread but I will post it here to help you:

Try using a template to set up each workout, which will help you balance the routine. Here is a general template that I use for a total body training session:

A. Lower Body Core lift (try to do 2 quad-dominant movements and 2 posterior-chain dominant movements per week)

B. Lower Body Supplementary (work on weak points, posterior chain emphasis, unilateral work, etc.)

C1. Upper Body Push (Do 2 horizontal movements and 2 vertical movements per week)

C2. Upper Body Pull (Do 2 horizontal movements and 2 vertical movements per week)

Optional accessory work:

D. Accessory 1 (Biceps, triceps, shoulders, forearms, etc.)

E. Accessory 2 (Abs or calves)

F. Accessory 3 (Prehab, rotator cuff, scap work, etc.)

Hey BCpowder...

What part of Tennessee are you in?
I am about 20 mins south of Nashville.

J.P.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

what he said...

also, I would utilise FAR greater variation in your exercises. You have 2 days of benching, 2 days of incline and one decline day. Unless you go mega light then you will do yourself a mischief within a fortnight IMO. EVen with limited equipment you could do pushups, dips or floor presses as a substitute.

I've only skimmed Chad Waterury's HF articles as hypertrophy aint really my focus, but from what I recll he said variety - both in terms of rep ranges and exercises is key.

I don't know anything about your training experience, but I think initially at least a good way to set up a high frequency programme would be thus:

First plan a somewhat standard upper/lower split - 2 heavier days, 2 lighter.

NOw, at the end of the upper sessions you'll perform 1 or 2 LIGHT lower body exercises, and then vice-versa for the upper.

an example to illustrate this:

Upper body - Heavy day
A. Floor press - work up to a 3 or 5rm in 5-6 sets
B1: weighted chins - 4x6
B2: DB push press - 4x6
D1: Front squats - 2x12 using your 20rm
D2: Back extensions - 2x12 using your 20rm

The exercises are kind of arbitarily chosen here, I just picked 5 exercises that pretty much cover everywhere.

On the 'off' day you have in the middle, perform a whole body recovery workout - using 30-40% of your max.

This still may burn you out, so do without the extra day for the first few weeks while you get used to it.

Just an opinion...