Critique My Form

still learning the movements think i’m improving a bit! looking for some things i should keep watching out for in my technique! thinking about starting the beginner pendley program in a weekish thanks for the input

Make sure you’re getting full extension on the second pull, and not using the hips to bump the bar. The bar should be close enough to touch your shirt on the way up. Its too far away from you, which is why you jump forward on the catch.

Are you using their online deal through the Cal Strength website? I was considering starting that within the next couple of months once I change gyms.

I see in a lot of videos with Pendlay that he teaches them to hip bump the bar. Am I seeing it wrong or are there several methods to doing this? Jon North teaches a Superman pull which from what I can see is designed to put space between the hips and the bar so you can bump it.

Don’t lift how Jon North teaches. He’s strong, but none of the world class lifters lift that way. And they all emphatically speak against it. You’re not bumping the hips or thighs with the bar, instead, you’re exploding UP with the hips and legs, driving the bar up and not out. it looks like a bump with the hips because the bar is close and the hips are coming into contact with it, but the contact is not what gives the bar momentum.

anyone and everyone can have perfect form with no weight on the bar. put some weight on the bar and you will see a big difference in your form and post a vid and people can give u advice

Except he doesn’t have perfect form even without weight on the bar. Sooooooo.

took in some of the advice and continuing to practice here’s another couple clips hopefully with some improvement:

Sorry if I’m hijacking but does Pendlay teach the Superman pull or the more traditional way of pulling?

I think Pendlay teaches a more traditional style of pull. The superman pull is a Jon North thing and that’s about it

[quote]Crura wrote:
anyone and everyone can have perfect form with no weight on the bar. put some weight on the bar and you will see a big difference in your form and post a vid and people can give u advice[/quote]

new vid has clips with a little bit weighted snatch and clean what are your thoughts?

For the clean pulls/cleans: you’re reverse curling the bar (notice how you pull your elbows back rather than up). That will cause the bar to travel further away from you.

Jerk: Your weight is pushed way forward, it looks like its almost entirely on your front leg. Your weight should be displaced about evenly. In order to do this with a strong base, you’re going to need to finish the split with your back leg bent.

Snatch: don’t look down. Look forward

Edit: actually, you look down on everything. Stop that.

On all of your snatch pull you were coming onto your toes before you hips were at full extension. This either be reverse or happen at the same time. Otherwise it will cause the bar, again, to travel forward and away from you rather than up.

Also, practice getting the bar to move using your legs. It looks like you are using JUST arms to pull the bar high during your pulls.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
For the clean pulls/cleans: you’re reverse curling the bar (notice how you pull your elbows back rather than up). That will cause the bar to travel further away from you.

Jerk: Your weight is pushed way forward, it looks like its almost entirely on your front leg. Your weight should be displaced about evenly. In order to do this with a strong base, you’re going to need to finish the split with your back leg bent.

Snatch: don’t look down. Look forward

Edit: actually, you look down on everything. Stop that.[/quote]

Clean: I thought the clean was an pulling up and back motion?
Jerk: I will work on this, should I turn my feet any specific way? ie. front foot out back foot in or both straight.
Snatch: I think im coming up on my toes because im focusing too heavily on triple extension if I just do a jumping motions rather than catapult do you think this could fix my problem?

I really appreciate your input man going to put it to work in my next session

By pulling back, I mean your elbows. The way I’ve been taught is basically to keep the elbows above the wrists/bar until you’re going underneath it. You’re elbows are at the same height as your wrists at like your upper abs. In order to see what I’m getting at look for some slo-mo videos of guys doing cleans.

Now: I think it would be fine if you were doing very heavy weight and catching in a full clean. But on the pulls you want to focus on driving the elbows up and keep the bar close.

On foot position: the front foot should be turned in slightly, the toe pointed in. The back foot’s heel should be turned outward a little. The back foot position is less important it looks like, but try to just not let the heel turn in.

Snatch: coming up on your toes is fine. It’s good. But the problem is that it looks like you’re getting on your toes BEFORE your hips extend.

Watch Liu Xiaojun, hips and ankles extend at the same time to give him a vertical bar path: Xiaojun Lu 150Kg Snatch Slow Motion + Bar path - YouTube

@nkklllll
I see what your getting at aftering doing a few with a broom stick, im not focusing enough on getting full hip extension, when I fully extend my hips i come up on my toes anyway. Ill put this into practice next time cheers!

Also here are a few more clips for the person who said to put on a bit of weight and film it - YouTube
(I know the bar is still drifting from me I think i’m going to do like 100 repetitions of Sn Pulls with the bar close and hopefully it’ll become a habit)

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
Sorry if I’m hijacking but does Pendlay teach the Superman pull or the more traditional way of pulling?[/quote]

The Superman pull is the byproduct of Jon North being unable to describe what he is doing accurately. He doesn’t even do the damn Superman pull damn it.

If you want good technique completely ignore whatever Americans are doing. Look at how the Chinese and Russian coaches teach technique.

You drop your chest when catching your snatch, keep your chest up. That’s what’s making you stumble forward (it’s also hell on your shoikders). Your knees can come forward quite a bit at the bottom of your snatch.

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
Sorry if I’m hijacking but does Pendlay teach the Superman pull or the more traditional way of pulling?[/quote]

The Superman pull is the byproduct of Jon North being unable to describe what he is doing accurately. He doesn’t even do the damn Superman pull damn it.

If you want good technique completely ignore whatever Americans are doing. Look at how the Chinese and Russian coaches teach technique.[/quote]

Not necessarily. Guys like Farris, James Tatum, Travis Cooper, Pat Mendes, Jared Fleming, and Ian Wilson all have pretty good technique.

Maybe it is Ian Wilson’s proportions, but his technique looks pretty ugly to me. I’ll agree with Farris and Mendes, but those are exceptions to the rule.

interesting