Critique my form

Hey guys can you look at my deadlift? I just started deadlifting (sumo) like three weeks ago, so the vid of the 205 is a legit work set right now. Anyways I feel like less pressure should be on the lower back, so if you guys can take a look at this I would really appreciate it.

My opinion- get your butt out a little farther and generate power through your hips. In the vid your hips were pretty much stationary, and most of the movement appeared to be generated from the upper half of your body. This is why there is so much pressure on your lower back. You’re going to hurt yourself, eventually, if you keep deadlifting like this. Look up elitefts on youtube and find some clips on deadlifting. They’re great for form.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
My opinion- get your butt out a little farther and generate power through your hips. In the vid your hips were pretty much stationary, and most of the movement appeared to be generated from the upper half of your body. This is why there is so much pressure on your lower back. You’re going to hurt yourself, eventually, if you keep deadlifting like this. Look up elitefts on youtube and find some clips on deadlifting. They’re great for form. [/quote]

Just watched the video. Pardon my stupidity, but I don’t get when you mean my hips were stationary. What should I be thinking about to try to fix the problem?

Skip to 5:30 or so to get a view of the side. You’ll see what I mean.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

Skip to 5:30 or so to get a view of the side. You’ll see what I mean.[/quote]

Shit… I got a lot of work to do.

Just wondering, in the video Dave Really seems to emphasize being really tight you go down to grab the bar. Why is it better to do that than grab, remove the slack in the muscles and then pull?

A tight descent will actually reinforce good form, as well as have a benefit in your lift from your stretch reflex.

It’s about lifting more weight, which is what Dave Tate (a powerlifter) emphasizes. If it were a purely bodybuilder lift, you probably should pull yourself taught and pull from the bottom without the slow descent, driving through the heels and really feeling your hamstrings do the work.

[quote]someguyyy wrote:
A tight descent will actually reinforce good form, as well as have a benefit in your lift from your stretch reflex.

It’s about lifting more weight, which is what Dave Tate (a powerlifter) emphasizes. If it were a purely bodybuilder lift, you probably should pull yourself taught and pull from the bottom without the slow descent, driving through the heels and really feeling your hamstrings do the work.
[/quote]

I respect your response but have to disagree with the tight descent on the deadlift. I think this is perhaps the one lift in which absolutely nothing can be gained in a slow descent which outweights the possible injury. It is far too easy to injure the lower back by descending slowly on the deadlift.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

Skip to 5:30 or so to get a view of the side. You’ll see what I mean.[/quote]

Not knocking elite FTS or anything, but hyperextending at the end of a pull is just retarded. Eric Cressey emphasises this; check out his deadlift articles. I agree with you however that the OP needs abit more hip drive. You just need to think about driving the living shit out of your heels into the floor and ‘fucking’ the bar. Don’t hyperextend like in that video; at the end of your pull you want to be straight as a rock, glutes tensed hard.

K so I tried to make the corrections that you guy have offered

A lot less pressure on the back although I feel that it’s still not the best it could be. Maybe it’s just a matter of practice. If you guys have any cues you could give that would be great. I like the “fuck the bar” one.

you pulling with ur legs till ur knees lock out then u finish the lift with ur back extending, start with back relatively straight up and down, ive always found with enough flexibility sumo deads should be minimally loading on the low back, you should be relatively upright from the start. You need to squat up as u stand up, dont do one at a time. keep working.

[quote]bignate wrote:
you pulling with ur legs till ur knees lock out then u finish the lift with ur back extending, start with back relatively straight up and down, ive always found with enough flexibility sumo deads should be minimally loading on the low back, you should be relatively upright from the start. You need to squat up as u stand up, dont do one at a time. keep working.[/quote]

Thanks for the input. Will keep this in mind next deadlift day.

Look up on mobility wod setting up for deadlifting. there are a couple different videos. One of them addresses why you want to tighten up before you descend to the bar rather than pulling your self tight once you are griping the bar.