Critique My First Body Part Split

I plan on doing my first ever bodypart split and thought I would use how to design a damn good program to hopefully do just that.

Monday, Chest:

Flat BB Bench Press 4x6-8
Incline BB Bench 3x8-10
Dips 3x10-12

(I’m doing the range thing but I’m going for the highest number there but if I don’t get it I won’t cry)

Tuesday, Back:

Chins 4x6-8
Pull Ups 3x8-10
DB Rows 3x10-12
T-Bar Rows 3x10-12

Wednesday, OFF

Thursday, Legs
Back Squat 4x6-8
Romanian Deadlift 3x8-10
Power Squat 3x10-12
Good Morning 3x10-12
Leg Extension 3x10-12

Friday, OFF

Saturday, Tris, Bis, Shoulders, Abs, mirror muscles basically.

Military Press 4x6-8
Barbell Curls 3x10-12
Close Grip Bench 3x10-12
Revers Crunch 3xFailure
Shoulder Press 3x8-10

Sunday OFF

doing both chinups and pullups on back day is redundant. I’d recommend losing one or replacing it with a shrug or deadlift.

wtf is a power squat… replace some of those exercises with calf exercises. Back squats are good, romanian deadlifts are good… good mornings i don’t think would be wise or necessary, and again, wtf the is a power squat.

Chest day and delts/arms day both look fine.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
doing both chinups and pullups on back day is redundant. I’d recommend losing one or replacing it with a shrug or deadlift.

wtf is a power squat… replace some of those exercises with calf exercises. Back squats are good, romanian deadlifts are good… good mornings i don’t think would be wise or necessary, and again, wtf the is a power squat.

Chest day and delts/arms day both look fine.[/quote]

Although I like the idea of adding the deadlift, I’m not sure if I agree with the statement about doing chins and pullups in the same workout being redundant.

OP when you say power squat do you simply mean powerlifting style squat? Or some sort of explosive squat, but guess in the first one but I’m not sure.

Yeah I mean powerlifting stance like a little wider.

Okay what about adding calf raises into legs day and swapping good morning with sumo dead?

You’re hitting your posterior chain too much on one leg day. 3-4 exercises is good for one leg day anyways, so there is no need to do 7 sets of squats.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
You’re hitting your posterior chain too much on one leg day. 3-4 exercises is good for one leg day anyways, so there is no need to do 7 sets of squats.
[/quote]

So what about this:

Squat 4x6-8
Romanian Deadlift 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x10-12
Leg Extension 3x10-12

???

That looks pretty good but I would rather see a lying leg curl instead of the leg extension, reason being Leg Presses are usually a quad dominant exercise, so right now you have 3 for quads and only one for hamstrings.

And you definitely want to have at least one calf exercise in there. Standing calf raises on a block (in the smith machine for balance) are good, if you have a standing calf raise machine at your gym even better. Otherwise doing them on the leg press is fine too.

And to clarify, the reason I think doing both chinups and pullups in the same back workout is redundant, is because if you’ve done 4 sets of chinups correctly, you really shouldn’t be ABLE to go on and do 3 sets of pullups.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
That looks pretty good but I would rather see a lying leg curl instead of the leg extension, reason being Leg Presses are usually a quad dominant exercise, so right now you have 3 for quads and only one for hamstrings.

And you definitely want to have at least one calf exercise in there. Standing calf raises on a block (in the smith machine for balance) are good, if you have a standing calf raise machine at your gym even better. Otherwise doing them on the leg press is fine too.

And to clarify, the reason I think doing both chinups and pullups in the same back workout is redundant, is because if you’ve done 4 sets of chinups correctly, you really shouldn’t be ABLE to go on and do 3 sets of pullups.[/quote]

Okay so how about this.

Squat 4x6
Romanian deadlift 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x10-12
Leg Curl 3x10-12
Calf Raises 3x10-12

But the only thing is that in CT’s article for beginners and what not he says for quads 3-4 exercises.

Yo man,

There would probably be a better split than the above, but if you are set on training these body parts of these days, then try the following:

Chest: BB Bench 5x6-8
Incline DB 5x8-10
Incline flyes 4x10-12
Flat press to fly 3x10

Back: Weighted Chins 5 x 6-8
Bent Over Row 5x 8-10
Straight arm pulldown 4x10-12
Bent over laterals 3 x 10-12
Shrugs(any type)

Legs: Back Squat 5 x 6-8
Leg Press (Feet narrow) 4x8-10
Leg extension 4 x 10-12
Stiff Leg deads 5x6-8
Hamstring curls 5 x 8-10
Calves

Delts/Arms: Muscle Clean and Press 5x6-8
Lateral raises 5x 8-10
Close grip bench 5x6-8
Lying DB extensions 5x8-10
Preacher curl(wide) 5x6-8
Hammer Curls 5 8-10

Do abs at the end of every workout, except on legs days. Superset cable crunches with leg raises or some similar style of staggered abs training.

Exercise selections would be VERY dependant on your weak areas, and further more training age. But this is a good baseline plan. If the Volume if a bit much, drop from 5 to 4 sets…but I dont think it would be a problem. Rest 90-120 secs during heavy movements and 60 secs for isolation. Also, if you are not sure on what some of these exercises are, do a search:) Make sure diet is in check too bro.

GOODLUCK
GJ

[quote]APLASTICSPOON wrote:
Okay so how about this.

Squat 4x6
Romanian deadlift 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x10-12
Leg Curl 3x10-12
Calf Raises 3x10-12

But the only thing is that in CT’s article for beginners and what not he says for quads 3-4 exercises.[/quote]

What you have right there looks good.

3-4 exercises just for quads, for BEGINNERS? Maybe you misunderstood what he was saying. If not, I’d certainly disagree with that.

And I have no idea why the above poster thinks that his routine is better than the one you’ve already got setup. shrug It looks unnecessarily complicated in my opinion.

why are you doing dips on chest day? either do decline or machine/cable fys.

Squat 4x6
Romanian deadlift 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x10-12
Leg Curl 3x10-12
Calf Raises 3x10-12

But the only thing is that in CT’s article for beginners and what not he says for quads 3-4 exercises.[/quote]

buddy youre going to need to increase the rep ranges if you expect to see size gains in your legs. 6 rep squats seems a little pointless from a hypertrophy standpoint. i think shooting for 15-20 in the leg press would be more appropriate too.

and from my own experience you wont have enough left in you to do calf raises with that setup. i mean if you got time and energy afterwards go for it but i think youll end up being too fatigued for them at the end of your workouts and will most likely skip it anyway. so maybe add in an additional day for ab and calf work. a lot of other people do it too.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
APLASTICSPOON wrote:

Squat 4x6
Romanian deadlift 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x10-12
Leg Curl 3x10-12
Calf Raises 3x10-12

But the only thing is that in CT’s article for beginners and what not he says for quads 3-4 exercises.

buddy youre going to need to increase the rep ranges if you expect to see size gains in your legs. 6 rep squats seems a little pointless from a hypertrophy standpoint. i think shooting for 15-20 in the leg press would be more appropriate too.

and from my own experience you wont have enough left in you to do calf raises with that setup. i mean if you got time and energy afterwards go for it but i think youll end up being too fatigued for them at the end of your workouts and will most likely skip it anyway. so maybe add in an additional day for ab and calf work. a lot of other people do it too.[/quote]

Trust me man that ain’t nothing. For a while I did this workout routine everyday. Not saying it was right and I know I was training horribly wrong but that was a year ago.

Squats
Deadlifts
BB Bench
Rows
Curls
Skull Crushers
Military Press
Leg Press
Ab Machine

Now that was horribly wrong but I’m just throwing it out there that I can handle it. I’m 18 trust me I got a lot of energy and time as well.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
why are you doing dips on chest day? either do decline or machine/cable fys.[/quote]

I’m guessing he has them there because they are a great chest exercise.

lol? theyre a good tricep exercise with chest emphasis but generally on a chest day your aim is to isolate the chest.

Squats
Deadlifts
BB Bench
Rows
Curls
Skull Crushers
Military Press
Leg Press
Ab Machine

Now that was horribly wrong but I’m just throwing it out there that I can handle it. I’m 18 trust me I got a lot of energy and time as well.[/quote]

im not saying you cant, but training when training legs with a lot of intensity especially with two compounds like squats and rdls which use a lot of weight youll be pretty taxed towards the end. so if by chance you find out you cand do calfs at the end, which i dont even do, just move em to an extra day w/ abs.

I guess we’re not all as incredibly hardcore as you, Live.

I’m perfectly capable of doing a calf workout after I hit my thighs.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
APLASTICSPOON wrote:
Okay so how about this.

Squat 4x6
Romanian deadlift 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x10-12
Leg Curl 3x10-12
Calf Raises 3x10-12

What you have right there looks good.

3-4 exercises just for quads, for BEGINNERS? Maybe you misunderstood what he was saying. If not, I’d certainly disagree with that.

And I have no idea why the above poster thinks that his routine is better than the one you’ve already got setup. shrug It looks unnecessarily complicated in my opinion.[/quote]

It aint MY routine…I just put that together from what I have read/learned…Don’t have to followed to the T, but I do believe his exercise selection aint as good. i.e 2 types of rows and 2 types of pullups…bit of a waste of exercise selection IMO…I guess rep scheme would depend on his training age, which I didnt read into.

GJ

squats AND deadlifts the same day? too much on the CNS

[quote]AlterEgo721 wrote:
squats AND deadlifts the same day? too much on the CNS[/quote]

My current split involves squats and deads on the same day. I thought it may have been a problem, but decided to try it out anyway. I’ve only been on this split for a few weeks, but I’ve not noticed any problem in having them on the same day thus far.

I’d be interested to hear what others think, though.