[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]youngster543210 wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

listen to stu, zraw, and jaskrabac IMO… they’ve done it

im sure most of the guys in here are just slapdicks

also how do you know you are 15% bodyfat?[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Its not a matter of “they’ve done it”, its science bro, caloric deficit=fat loss. Its that simple, any “slapdick” can figure it out.[/quote]

if only it were that simple…[/quote]

It is. if only people didn’t read so many magazines and watch so many YouTube videos and took the time to intelligently educate themselves.
[/quote]

I know you’re a smart dude, but
I mean you kinda gotta give people more info than eat at a deficit.

Like what if they don’t know what their maintenance is?

How much of an initial deficit?

How much of of a deficit when weightloss plateaus?

obviously you can’t just keep eating at a deficit forever and making massive decreases forever for slowing of the metabolic rate.

what about cardio and it’s effects on fatloss?

Why is starting your diet immediately with low carbs probably not the best idea?

The goal usually isn’t just losing weight for the sake of losing weight. We do care about other things like retaining muscle.

People need a little more guidance than eat at a deficit and it’s okay to have these questions and expect a better answer than eat at a deficit.[/quote]

Agreed here. I just simplified it for the guy that called us all slapdicks lol.

listen to stu, zraw, and jaskrabac IMO… they’ve done it

im sure most of the guys in here are just slapdicks

also how do you know you are 15% bodyfat?[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Its not a matter of “they’ve done it”, its science bro, caloric deficit=fat loss. Its that simple, any “slapdick” can figure it out.[/quote]

if only it were that simple…[/quote]

It is. if only people didn’t read so many magazines and watch so many YouTube videos and took the time to intelligently educate themselves.
[/quote]

I know you’re a smart dude, but
I mean you kinda gotta give people more info than eat at a deficit.

Like what if they don’t know what their maintenance is?

How much of an initial deficit?

How much of of a deficit when weightloss plateaus?

obviously you can’t just keep eating at a deficit forever and making massive decreases forever for slowing of the metabolic rate.

what about cardio and it’s effects on fatloss?

Why is starting your diet immediately with low carbs probably not the best idea?

The goal usually isn’t just losing weight for the sake of losing weight. We do care about other things like retaining muscle.

People need a little more guidance than eat at a deficit and it’s okay to have these questions and expect a better answer than eat at a deficit.[/quote]

Agreed here. I just simplified it for the guy that called us all slapdicks lol. [/quote]

i said “most”

Lol at “slapdicks”

[quote]IFlashBack wrote:
Lol at “slapdicks” [/quote]

that’s why I ain’t even mad.

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

Whenever i do decide to go to the dark side, i’ll think about getting to 230[/quote]

dude you should be able to get to this number naturally at your height unless your genetics suck ass.

how long have you been lifting?[/quote]

I don’t have shit genetics. I am an endo/meso, more endo. I’ve always been a “husky” kid since i was younger. Finally, my sr year of HS i decided to lift and eat somewhat clean. This was back in 2008. I’d say i’ve been lifting and eating “properly” for 3 years. I’m sure getting to 230 isn’t out of reach naturally, but like i said, i don’t want to be a fat dude with muscles. You said you were at 30% BF…that’s really out of hand to me. As a natty, i just want to hover around 10%. Once i get into this zone, i’ll bulk, while still maintaining this BF. Once i get to my goal BF i plan on doing cyclical bulking/cutting. Another thing: i get that if you want to put on muscle you’re gonna have to put on fat as well. That is understood.

Really though, i’ve just NEVER gotten down to single digits. This is kind of a challenge to my self to see how far i can push my body.(without entering a BB comp)

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:
6 ft, 200 lb male, 15% BF. trying to get into the single digits. My sources for my macros will come from your basic bb foods: lean meats(primarily white fish, chicken, ground turkey here and there), healthy fats(coconut oil, nuts, eggs, avocado, butter), carbs(rice, potatoes, bread, pasta)

My cals will start off at 2,500. This is my break down: 250 grams protein, 150 grams carbs(primarily pre and post workout), and 100 grams fat.

I’ll be doing cardio 5-6x a week. Primarily LISS cardio. I sometimes like to throw in sprints in on some days to change things up.

What do you think?[/quote]

I actually think you’re starting macros and cardio look really good. Why do I say that? Cuz no one here can tell you an ideal place to start, and I imagine some serious thought went into coming up with those numbers, so better to start somewhere than nowhere. A few things as you go:

1. probably won’t want to change protein at all…keep it high throughout
  2. reassess week to week…bodyweight, mirror, waistline. When things stall or start to slow down drop fat and carbs. Don’t be afraid to make a bold jump. If you’re too timid it won’t be enough to stimulate continuous progress. What’s bold? Idk, dropping carbs from 150 to 75 from one week to the next, or fat from 100 to 70.
  3. carb intake won’t be a linear thing. When i recently worked with shelby I went from low carb to ultra low to FML low then as I reached a certain point they have started coming back up again as I handle them alot better now. I have more high carb days and even a refeed day and yet I’m still losing weight. Don’t be afraid of starting “too low.” Your performance in the gym will tell you when you need more. I had several guys tell me my carbs were too low, but I was PRing in the gym every week. Around the point this stopped happening, was when I needed to bump them back up.
  4. I know diet is number one, but get the most out of your training too. I’m gonna assume you’re natural here when I say you should think about doing something like a push/pull/legs split so that everyday is a “big” day. Don’t be afraid of high volume and a few intensifiers here and there (partials, failure sets, drop sets, 3 sec negatives, etc.).

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:
6 ft, 200 lb male, 15% BF. trying to get into the single digits. My sources for my macros will come from your basic bb foods: lean meats(primarily white fish, chicken, ground turkey here and there), healthy fats(coconut oil, nuts, eggs, avocado, butter), carbs(rice, potatoes, bread, pasta)

My cals will start off at 2,500. This is my break down: 250 grams protein, 150 grams carbs(primarily pre and post workout), and 100 grams fat.

I’ll be doing cardio 5-6x a week. Primarily LISS cardio. I sometimes like to throw in sprints in on some days to change things up.

I actually think you’re starting macros and cardio look really good. Why do I say that? Cuz no one here can tell you an ideal place to start, and I imagine some serious thought went into coming up with those numbers, so better to start somewhere than nowhere. A few things as you go:

2. reassess week to week…bodyweight, mirror, waistline. When things stall or start to slow down drop fat and carbs. Don’t be afraid to make a bold jump. If you’re too timid it won’t be enough to stimulate continuous progress. What’s bold? Idk, dropping carbs from 150 to 75 from one week to the next, or fat from 100 to 70.
  3. carb intake won’t be a linear thing. When i recently worked with shelby I went from low carb to ultra low to FML low then as I reached a certain point they have started coming back up again as I handle them alot better now. I have more high carb days and even a refeed day and yet I’m still losing weight. Don’t be afraid of starting “too low.” Your performance in the gym will tell you when you need more. I had several guys tell me my carbs were too low, but I was PRing in the gym every week. Around the point this stopped happening, was when I needed to bump them back up.
  4. I know diet is number one, but get the most out of your training too. I’m gonna assume you’re natural here when I say you should think about doing something like a push/pull/legs split so that everyday is a “big” day. Don’t be afraid of high volume and a few intensifiers here and there (partials, failure sets, drop sets, 3 sec negatives, etc.). [/quote]

Yeah i hear you. I feel like i’m pretty knowledgable when it comes to my nutrition. I measure my food, count my macros etc…i just need to know the NUMBERS!! I mean, i know i want to keep protein at 250 throughout. But it’s the carbs and fat that are getting to me. I’ve noticed that with the higher fat, i stay satiated longer. But with the lower carbs i feel less of a pump when i’m lifting. I’m really considering bumping my carbs back up and lowering my fat to say, 50-60 grams. Another thing i’m gathering from other forums is that i’m doing WAY too much cardio starting off. So i think i’m going to keep it to 2-3 20 min sessions a week, starting off.

What’s a good way to monitor your progress? This is another thing i have an issue with. I don’t know if i should go by bw or what. Maybe taking pics in the mirror? I’m not sure.

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

What’s a good way to monitor your progress? This is another thing i have an issue with. I don’t know if i should go by bw or what. Maybe taking pics in the mirror? I’m not sure. [/quote]

use everything, they are all tools.

Use the scale weekly to make sure you’re hitting your target weight drop

use the tape measure on your waist every 10lbs or so (dont do things like tape your arm this will just depress you)

use the mirror some and take pictures ever month or so

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

What’s a good way to monitor your progress? This is another thing i have an issue with. I don’t know if i should go by bw or what. Maybe taking pics in the mirror? I’m not sure. [/quote]

use the tape measure on your waist every 10lbs or so (dont do things like tape your arm this will just depress you)

use the mirror some and take pictures ever week or so[/quote]

Fixed. =)

First ask yourself if you really want to cut. Lets say you get down to 8%. then you will only weigh 185. I would keep bulking if i were you. Also, i dont consider bread and pasta to be typical bbing cutting foods.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

use the mirror some and take pictures ever week or so[/quote]

Fixed. =)
[/quote]

ha, sure I guess I mean I take a picture almost daily because I’m weird like that, but realistically I mean if you’re only losing a pound or two a week I don’t think you can really tell weekly differences (drunk post, merry christmass you fucking pussies)

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

4. I know diet is number one, but get the most out of your training too. I’m gonna assume you’re natural here when I say you should think about doing something like a push/pull/legs split so that everyday is a “big” day. Don’t be afraid of high volume and a few intensifiers here and there (partials, failure sets, drop sets, 3 sec negatives, etc.). [/quote]

Yeah i hear you. I feel like i’m pretty knowledgable when it comes to my nutrition. I measure my food, count my macros etc…i just need to know the NUMBERS!! I mean, i know i want to keep protein at 250 throughout. But it’s the carbs and fat that are getting to me. I’ve noticed that with the higher fat, i stay satiated longer. But with the lower carbs i feel less of a pump when i’m lifting. I’m really considering bumping my carbs back up and lowering my fat to say, 50-60 grams. Another thing i’m gathering from other forums is that i’m doing WAY too much cardio starting off. So i think i’m going to keep it to 2-3 20 min sessions a week, starting off.

It seems like you didn’t read my post entirely. I addressed all those questions. Good luck.

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

Whenever i do decide to go to the dark side, i’ll think about getting to 230[/quote]

dude you should be able to get to this number naturally at your height unless your genetics suck ass.

how long have you been lifting?[/quote]

I don’t have shit genetics. I am an endo/meso, more endo. I’ve always been a “husky” kid since i was younger. Finally, my sr year of HS i decided to lift and eat somewhat clean. This was back in 2008. I’d say i’ve been lifting and eating “properly” for 3 years. I’m sure getting to 230 isn’t out of reach naturally, but like i said, i don’t want to be a fat dude with muscles. You said you were at 30% BF…that’s really out of hand to me. As a natty, i just want to hover around 10%. Once i get into this zone, i’ll bulk, while still maintaining this BF. Once i get to my goal BF i plan on doing cyclical bulking/cutting. Another thing: i get that if you want to put on muscle you’re gonna have to put on fat as well. That is understood.

Really though, i’ve just NEVER gotten down to single digits. This is kind of a challenge to my self to see how far i can push my body.(without entering a BB comp)
[/quote]

im sorry but somatotypes do not determine your body composition.

Idk either… I’m a guy cutting… Wight 183 lbs… I eat 220 protien 100 fat no carbs at all

You were 4 years late to this party…

2 Likes

Don’t start with so much cardio. You need to hold something back for when your progress stalls. Maybe just do a long walk on a recovery day to start with.

Before you start any kind of diet, unless you already know what you’re consuming on a daily basis in terms of calories you’ll have trouble working out where to start. 2500Kcals may be cutting more calories than you actually have to initially. Your goal should be to lose fat while eating as much as possible. Just like keeping cardio minimal to begin with, it will give you more options to fall back on when your progress halts.

Keep a food diary for a couple of weeks and be completely honest with yourself. Get to know exactly what you’re eating (food choices and calories). Then clean up your food choices and start eating a consistent amount of calories daily. Make sure you’re eating enough protein (about 2-3 grams per kilo of bodyweight) You may notice you start losing fat before doing anything any more drastic.

When your progress stalls, add in some more cardio or conditioning and monitor your progress to make sure you’re heading in the right direction (if not up the cardio/conditioning a little more). Eventually your progress will stall again. Only then look at dropping your calories and only by a little bit (200 - 300Kcals) I take the calories from carbs but you could take them from fat if you wanted to. Experiment and see what works best.

Keep that up and you’ll be pleased with where you end up.

I’ve tried more severe dieting approaches in the past and always ended up just as fat or bigger than when I started.

Maaan and there was me writing war and peace (again). I’ll pay more attention next time :neutral_face:

1 Like

Haha just read your deleted response. That was some golden information, doesn’t hurt to leave it there for the next guy who comes along looking for that magic fat loss pill.

Good advice, thanks very much. Consider the information reinstated.

1 Like

Deletes my first post, thought this was a bulk for some reason. I would recommend cutting those fats to 40g and replacing the calories with carbs. I Find the best physiques are built with high carb low fat diets, and that goes for cut or bulk. I am currently cutting on 300g protein, 160g carb, and 40g fats. I started my cut at 300g protein, 350g carbs and 40g fats or something along those lines.