T Nation

Critique My Fat Loss Diet!

6 ft, 200 lb male, 15% BF. trying to get into the single digits. My sources for my macros will come from your basic bb foods: lean meats(primarily white fish, chicken, ground turkey here and there), healthy fats(coconut oil, nuts, eggs, avocado, butter), carbs(rice, potatoes, bread, pasta)

My cals will start off at 2,500. This is my break down: 250 grams protein, 150 grams carbs(primarily pre and post workout), and 100 grams fat.

I’ll be doing cardio 5-6x a week. Primarily LISS cardio. I sometimes like to throw in sprints in on some days to change things up.

What do you think?

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:
6 ft, 200 lb male, 15% BF. trying to get into the single digits. My sources for my macros will come from your basic bb foods: lean meats(primarily white fish, chicken, ground turkey here and there), healthy fats(coconut oil, nuts, eggs, avocado, butter), carbs(rice, potatoes, bread, pasta)

My cals will start off at 2,500. This is my break down: 250 grams protein, 150 grams carbs(primarily pre and post workout), and 100 grams fat.

I’ll be doing cardio 5-6x a week. Primarily LISS cardio. I sometimes like to throw in sprints in on some days to change things up.

What do you think?[/quote]

Why so low on carbs?

Carbs are your friend, they are protein sparing and as you drop calories they can come from the extra carbs, why take from fat and protein if you don’t have to?
I guess the same could be said about fat but i think starting on the higher end of carbs is a better idea.

I wouldn’t start off doing 5-6 days of cardio a week

I’d start off with like 2 days a week and gradually throughout your cut work up to 5-6 days a week.

You should tell us about your strategy, like how and when you are going to make adjustments

I’d agree with Paulie. Unless you’re carb cycling i’d bump up the carbs and cut down the fat. Starting at 300g of carbs (less on off days) and go from there. Cardio increase as needed. When it comes to the sprints i find less is more. May be you’ll get to the point of needing some steady state everyday but start with just 20 minute of sprints twice a week on off days.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:
6 ft, 200 lb male, 15% BF. trying to get into the single digits. My sources for my macros will come from your basic bb foods: lean meats(primarily white fish, chicken, ground turkey here and there), healthy fats(coconut oil, nuts, eggs, avocado, butter), carbs(rice, potatoes, bread, pasta)

My cals will start off at 2,500. This is my break down: 250 grams protein, 150 grams carbs(primarily pre and post workout), and 100 grams fat.

I’ll be doing cardio 5-6x a week. Primarily LISS cardio. I sometimes like to throw in sprints in on some days to change things up.

What do you think?[/quote]

Why so low on carbs?

Carbs are your friend, they are protein sparing and as you drop calories they can come from the extra carbs, why take from fat and protein if you don’t have to?
I guess the same could be said about fat but i think starting on the higher end of carbs is a better idea.

I wouldn’t start off doing 5-6 days of cardio a week

I’d start off with like 2 days a week and gradually throughout your cut work up to 5-6 days a week.[/quote]

I actually prefer this approach…in the past i’ve tried doing higher carbs and lower fats, but the lack of fat always leaves me starving after my meals. I’ve been doing this for a couple weeks now and i’ve noticed that i’ve been really satisfied in between meals. No hunger pangs or anything, which i really like.

I’ve actually been reading a lot lately on the “mountain dog” diet. I don’t want to follow that diet to the T persa, but i do want to incorporate more fats in my diet(coconut oil, coconut, nuts, nut butters)

I don’t really have an idea on how i will cut macros as i continue this plan. I usually HATE going by bodyweight bc my weight always fluctuates so much(based on sodium intake, etc) So i like to go my how i look in the mirror. My cardio has been 4-5x a week incline tread cardio keeping my HR between 145-155 BPM. I also lift 5x a week as well, but i may cut this down to 4.

Another thing: what are some ways yall monitor your progress? I’ve NEVER gotten down to single digit BF. I’ve always been the chubby kid. I’m not fat by any means, but i just want to be able to see abs in the mirror lol. My body fat tends to accumulate mainly around my stomach and glutes. Anyways, what are some of your techniques? As stated previously, i hate going by body weight.

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

I don’t really have an idea on how i will cut macros as i continue this plan.[/quote]

You should figure this out.

U should keep bulking…at 6’ u need to be like 230 15% then when u cut down u will look impressive…

Morning cardio
HITT
Personally I am a endomorph and when I cut I carb cycle…and 1 refeed ever 9-10 days or so… highest carb days are around 200g…
Personally I prefer Protien + Fat

cool name gandhi

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
You should tell us about your strategy, like how and when you are going to make adjustments[/quote]

150 is low carb? shiiitttt…that’s my HIGH day!

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
You should tell us about your strategy, like how and when you are going to make adjustments[/quote]

150 is low carb? shiiitttt…that’s my HIGH day![/quote]

bleh, I’m too asian for dat shit

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

I don’t really have an idea on how i will cut macros as i continue this plan.[/quote]

You should figure this out.[/quote]

I’ll cut down the cals by 200 each time i hit a plateau. I’ll take some of these from the carbs and some from the protein.

[quote]Cron391 wrote:
U should keep bulking…at 6’ u need to be like 230 15% then when u cut down u will look impressive…

Morning cardio
HITT
Personally I am a endomorph and when I cut I carb cycle…and 1 refeed ever 9-10 days or so… highest carb days are around 200g…
Personally I prefer Protien + Fat [/quote]

I get where you’re coming from…but realistically, as a natty, will i really be able to put on a solid 20 pounds of muscle in a year? i doubt it. I don’t want to be just a big fat guy with muscles. As a natty, i want to be able to hover around 10 percent BF. That’s why i’m doing this cut.

Whenever i do decide to go to the dark side, i’ll think about getting to 230

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
You should tell us about your strategy, like how and when you are going to make adjustments[/quote]

150 is low carb? shiiitttt…that’s my HIGH day![/quote]

bleh, I’m too asian for dat shit[/quote]

What would your macros be if you started a cutting diet today? How high do you keep your carbs?

I’m azn too buddy…azn power

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:
6 ft, 200 lb male, 15% BF. trying to get into the single digits. My sources for my macros will come from your basic bb foods: lean meats(primarily white fish, chicken, ground turkey here and there), healthy fats(coconut oil, nuts, eggs, avocado, butter), carbs(rice, potatoes, bread, pasta)

My cals will start off at 2,500. This is my break down: 250 grams protein, 150 grams carbs(primarily pre and post workout), and 100 grams fat.

I’ll be doing cardio 5-6x a week. Primarily LISS cardio. I sometimes like to throw in sprints in on some days to change things up.

What do you think?[/quote]

I would decrease the fat and protein and up the carbs. 60 grams fat and 180 grams protein and the rest from carbs.

listen to stu, zraw, and jaskrabac IMO… they’ve done it

im sure most of the guys in here are just slapdicks

also how do you know you are 15% bodyfat?

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
You should tell us about your strategy, like how and when you are going to make adjustments[/quote]

150 is low carb? shiiitttt…that’s my HIGH day![/quote]

bleh, I’m too asian for dat shit[/quote]

What would your macros be if you started a cutting diet today? How high do you keep your carbs?

I’m azn too buddy…azn power
[/quote]

I mean I am cutting today. haha.

but I started my diet at about 30% bf and my carb intake was probably around 50% of my diet if not more. I’m probably a little over 15% right now and 32% of my diet is still from carbs which is approx 225g

[quote]mrgandhi90 wrote:

Whenever i do decide to go to the dark side, i’ll think about getting to 230[/quote]

dude you should be able to get to this number naturally at your height unless your genetics suck ass.

how long have you been lifting?

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
listen to stu, zraw, and jaskrabac IMO… they’ve done it

im sure most of the guys in here are just slapdicks

also how do you know you are 15% bodyfat?[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Its not a matter of “they’ve done it”, its science bro, caloric deficit=fat loss. Its that simple, any “slapdick” can figure it out.

[quote]youngster543210 wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
listen to stu, zraw, and jaskrabac IMO… they’ve done it

im sure most of the guys in here are just slapdicks

also how do you know you are 15% bodyfat?[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Its not a matter of “they’ve done it”, its science bro, caloric deficit=fat loss. Its that simple, any “slapdick” can figure it out.[/quote]

if only it were that simple…

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]youngster543210 wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
listen to stu, zraw, and jaskrabac IMO… they’ve done it

im sure most of the guys in here are just slapdicks

also how do you know you are 15% bodyfat?[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Its not a matter of “they’ve done it”, its science bro, caloric deficit=fat loss. Its that simple, any “slapdick” can figure it out.[/quote]

if only it were that simple…[/quote]

It is. if only people didn’t read so many magazines and watch so many YouTube videos and took the time to intelligently educate themselves.