T Nation

Critique My DL Form

Praise me or bash me,please comment.

Hips a little higher. you're down too low. This makes your knees be out over the bar and you have to go around them on the way up. puts you on your toes rather than on your heels. Can see your heels shift as the weight goes past the knees.

Flat shoes. Having a heel messes up the mechanics, puts you on your toes again.

By being a bit higher, the shins will be nearly vertical and so your pull will go straight up, letting you keep the bar closer to your body once past the knees. It also lets you pull equally with the back and butt while pushing with the legs.

Really tighten the glutes through the whole lift else all the force is generated by the back and that doesn't work for really heavy weight.

Dunno that you need to go down so slowly unless your gym has a policy about thumping the weights... You'll save energy for more reps. Or up slowly for that matter. Every rep should feel like you're exploding upwards. Take up tension from the bottom gradually but once off the floor, DRIVE!

You're looking up which is good and your back stays in neutral position through the lift, also good.

I pretty much concur with skidmark. I strongly recommend dropping the slow eccentric- at least on heavy sets. It's really a fine way to injured. Some guys do better with high-hip start- some do better with a low-hip start. I think it depends on their proportions, their reliatve back vs. leg strength, what's hurting that day, etc. If you like a low hip start, do this:

-get your grip and stance set, take a big breath, etc.
-dip your hips down quickly
-pull the bar back hard into your legs while simutaneously driving you heels through the floor. this will ge tthe bar moving
-after that, you're really just squatting the weight up.

The low hip start may require you to use a wider stance- not sumo necessarily, but just a little wider. The downside to that is that a wider stance will make your lockout a little tougher.

I pretty much concur with skidmark. I strongly recommend dropping the slow eccentric- at least on heavy sets. It's really a fine way to injured. Some guys do better with high-hip start- some do better with a low-hip start. I think it depends on their proportions, their reliatve back vs. leg strength, what's hurting that day, etc. If you like a low hip start, do this:

-get your grip and stance set, take a big breath, etc.
-dip your hips down quickly
-pull the bar back hard into your legs while simutaneously driving you heels through the floor. this will ge tthe bar moving
-after that, you're really just squatting the weight up.

The low hip start may require you to use a wider stance- not sumo necessarily, but just a little wider. The downside to that is that a wider stance will make your lockout a little tougher.