Critique My Diet

Whats up guys, my first post here, im currently bulking from 145lbs to a 185lb goal… i started probably about 6-7 months ago and im now sitting at 165lbs. I slacked on my diet after reaching 170lbs and dropped back down to 165lbs now. So Im gonna get it back on track. im 5-10/165/13%bf. Heres the diet: Please let me know what i can improve. NOTE, I know i can gain on 3000 cals, i was doing it consistenlty previously, please dont tell me I need to be eating 4000+. :smiley: Maybe 3500 or so a little cleaner, but not too much, my metabolism isnt that swell.

Anyways, back to the point at hand :

M1: (6:30AM)
2 slices ezekiel bread (cinnamon raisin)
2 whole eggs w/ 4 egg whites
1 slice cheese
veggies (for omelet)
2 fish oil

M2: (9:30AM)
1 scoop casein w/ 1 T ff/sf jello pudding (for flavor and consistency)
1 oz dry roasted almonds

M3: (12:30PM)
2 cups mixed veggies
5 oz chicken breast
1 oz PB or 1 T Oil or a mixture of the two.

M4: (3:15)
Homemade Protein Bar
1 apple

M5: (immediately PWO) (about 5:15PM)
20g whey
30g dex/malto mix

M6: (when i get home from gym 5:45PM)
1 cup Oats
1 scoop whey

M7: (7:45-8:00PM)
1 cup brown rice or Whole grain pasta or sweet potato
1.5 cups veggies
5 oz chicken breast or 1 can tuna
2 fish oil

M8: (Pre bed, around 10:30-11:30PM)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 T ground flax seed
2 fish oil

comes out to 3000+ cals, 275p/300c/80f

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Where are your T-Veggies?

I know one of the contribs mentioned certain veggies support testosterone.

Atleast add those in:

Broccoli
Asparagus

And:

Spinach

Might be a good reason why you can only handle 3500

I would eat less clean for a change if I were 145 lbs.

[quote]thajeepster wrote:
Whats up guys, my first post here, im currently bulking from 145lbs to a 185lb goal… i started probably about 6-7 months ago and im now sitting at 165lbs. I slacked on my diet after reaching 170lbs and dropped back down to 165lbs now. So Im gonna get it back on track. im 5-10/165/13%bf. Heres the diet: Please let me know what i can improve. NOTE, I know i can gain on 3000 cals, i was doing it consistenlty previously, please dont tell me I need to be eating 4000+. :smiley: Maybe 3500 or so a little cleaner, but not too much, my metabolism isnt that swell.

Anyways, back to the point at hand :

2 whole eggs w/ 4 egg whites
1 slice cheese
veggies (for omelet)
2 fish oil

1 scoop casein w/ 1 T ff/sf jello pudding (for flavor and consistency)
1 oz dry roasted almonds

2 cups mixed veggies
5 oz chicken breast
1 oz PB or 1 T Oil or a mixture of the two.

Homemade Protein Bar
1 apple

20g whey
30g dex/malto mix

1 cup Oats
1 scoop whey

1.5 cups veggies
2 fish oil

1 cup cottage cheese
1 T ground flax seed
2 fish oil

comes out to 3000+ cals, 275p/300c/80f

Thoughts? Suggestions?
[/quote]

I didn’t total it up, but most of it looks similar to the stuff that I eat - except the quantities.

Questions:

1. How do you “bulk” with 1 oz. of almonds??? Try about 4-6 oz./ day. Mix it up with walnuts, peanuts, etc.

2. Same question in regard to 1 cup of cottage cheese

1. Same question with regard to 1 oz. of PB
  3. 1 “slice” of cheese??? Is this that processed shit?

4. 1 apple??? Is this your total fruit consumption for the day?

5. 2 slices of bread in a “bulking” phase? I maintain on 4/day. I gain on 6/day.

Just some questions and insight.

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:

I didn’t total it up, but most of it looks similar to the stuff that I eat - except the quantities.

Questions:

1. How do you “bulk” with 1 oz. of almonds??? Try about 4-6 oz./ day. Mix it up with walnuts, peanuts, etc.

2. Same question in regard to 1 cup of cottage cheese

1. Same question with regard to 1 oz. of PB
  3. 1 “slice” of cheese??? Is this that processed shit?

4. 1 apple??? Is this your total fruit consumption for the day?

5. 2 slices of bread in a “bulking” phase? I maintain on 4/day. I gain on 6/day.

Just some questions and insight.

TNT

[/quote]

well… :smiley: brutal honest :smiley: i love it.

1. I also have 2 tbsp pb in the meal following my 1oz almonds. I guess i could get fats higher, but i thought 80g was plenty on a 3000 cal diet.

2. 1 usually have a full tub, but i dont really want to go overboard on protein consumption, is that wrong? Should i just add in another half cup? Should i take away some others or just add it to my totals…

3. same answer as 1 i guess…

4. no its lowfat deli cheddar cheese… not processed american.

5. 1 forgot my cup of berries with my pwo oats. Thats also in there.

6. I like to keep my carb sources varied i guess.

[quote]fahd wrote:
I would eat less clean for a change if I were 145 lbs.[/quote]

i used to be 145… then got up to 170… slacked off for a month or so, dropped to 165 (where im at now) and now im trying to get up to 185.

Part of the reason it took so long to get to my current weight is becaue ive eaten so cleanly, but ive also only gone up 1-2% bf with 20lb gain.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Where are your T-Veggies?

I know one of the contribs mentioned certain veggies support testosterone.

Atleast add those in:

Broccoli
Asparagus

And:

Spinach

Might be a good reason why you can only handle 3500[/quote]

Those are my basic veggies… well i dont eat asparagus… but i do eat tons of broccoli and spinach. However its the frozen kind, does that matter?

thanks for all the replies and comments guys, keep em coming… i wanna get this right. Ive been eating only around 27-2800 cals for the last month… Do you think its fine to jump up another 500 cals this week? Or should i move up slower?

thanks for all the replies and comments guys, keep em coming… i wanna get this right. Ive been eating only around 27-2800 cals for the last month… Do you think its fine to jump up another 500 cals this week? Or should i move up slower?[/quote]

An increase OR decrease of about 10% of your current intake should be O.K. - per week.

I still think you’re trying to eat to “clean” while trying to grow (bulk).
Example; LOW-FAT cheese. Anybody that wants to increase Lean Body Mass shouldn’t be on low-fat/no-fat anything.

I’ve taken egg whites out of my diet and replaced them with whole eggs. I’ve replaced 2% with whole milk and even CREAM. I’ve increased my consumption of walnuts, almonds, sun flower seeds, peanuts, natural peanut butter and I do shooters of olive oil.
And guess what…I’ve gained 2lbs. in 6 months. WOW! Bottom line is don’t be afraid of the good fats. I also do 500 gr. of cottage cheese a day - AND IT AIN’T THE LOW FAT KIND.

You can’t grow if you don’t eat.

Good luck.

TNT

point taken… what would you add? More protein? More fat… Seems like more fat to my current diet would bump up the cals significantly, something im not ready to do… well just yet, gotta work my way up there.

point taken… what would you add? More protein? More fat… Seems like more fat to my current diet would bump up the cals significantly, something im not ready to do… well just yet, gotta work my way up there.[/quote]

Try an icrease straight across the board of about 10% in cal. per week.
You’re goping to have to experiment a little. But one thing for sure, you won’t bulk on a calorie restricted diet.

Like Berardi says: “When I want to get stronger, I just get a bigger fork.”

TNT

Heres a little update…

2 whole eggs w/ 6 egg whites
veggies (for omelet)
1C fruit
2 fish oil

1.5 scoop casein w/ 1T ff/sf jello pudding (for flavor and consistency)
1 oz nuts/nut butter

2C Broccoli/Spinach
5 oz chicken breast
1 oz nuts/nut butter or 1T Oil or a mixture of the two.

Homemade Protein Bar
1C fruit

10g BCAA’s just prior to workout (4:15)

20g whey
30g dex/malto mix

1C Oats
1 scoop whey
1C berries

2C Spinach/Mushrooms/Tomatoes/Onions etc
2 fish oil

1.5C cottage cheese
2T ground flax seed
2 fish oil

This all comes out to around 3250 cals 300g protein 320g carbs 85g fat.

Look better?

If it works for you, then stick with it. If it doesn’t work make adjustments.

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
If it works for you, then stick with it. If it doesn’t work make adjustments.

TNT[/quote]

you know, your right, i should know better than anyone else what does and doesnt work for me.

ill see how this works.

I eat like 4 bananas a day, an orange or two, an apple, and a couple ounces of blueberries in my oatmeal daily for fruit. I always mix veggies into whatever I’m eating to boot.

Don’t worry about getting fat and just eat. I’m bulking from 190 right now. I don’t worry about eating clean 24/7 as long as I get all my fruits, veggies, and protein.

[quote]lolfinkle wrote:
I eat like 4 bananas a day, an orange or two, an apple, and a couple ounces of blueberries in my oatmeal daily for fruit. I always mix veggies into whatever I’m eating to boot.

Don’t worry about getting fat and just eat. I’m bulking from 190 right now. I don’t worry about eating clean 24/7 as long as I get all my fruits, veggies, and protein.[/quote]

I’m with you on this one. I’ve never met a person that got fat from eating too many fruits and vegetables. Your jaw muscles will fatigue first.

TNT