Critique My Diet

Hi, I am a 20 year old male. I am looking to cut down my body fat percentage and increase lean muscle.

According to John Berardi(what a legend!) article: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/complete.htm

I have worked out my dietary needs:
38g fat
144g protein
115g carbs

And here is a sample of my meal plan during a workout day:

9:30am- Oatmeal with banana with 1/2 scoop of protein(BSN Syntha6) 7g Fat,29g protein, 72.5g carbs

11:30am- Handful of almonds 14g fat, 5.25g protien, 1.73 g carbs

2:00pm- Tuna Mayo (low fat mayo with whole bread) with apple 5.6g fat, 12g protein, 28 carbs

4:30pm- 1 scoop protein shake with banana (BSN Syntha 6) 6g fat, 22g protein, 38g carbs

7:00pm- Chicken skewers with tomato and bell peppers 7.5g fat, 63g protein, 7g carbs

10:00pm- Fruit shake (any in season fruit) with yogurt and cottage cheese blended

Roughly 2 glasses of milk a day
Over 8 glasses of water a day

In my opinion this fits in with the principles of Dr Berardi’s article. However I struggle in keeping my carb intake below the recommended level. But as all my carbs are coming from low GI sources (whole bread, oatmeal, fruits/veg), is this going to affect my cutting of weight.

Similarly, it is very easy to consume over the 38g of fat recomened (a handful of almonds + salmon for dinner is easily over 38g fat). But as these sources of fat are all mono or poly saturates, should I be concerned at all?

Please suggest any improvements to my diet and tell me where i can improve on it. I have only started properly reading into nutrition 2 weeks ago, so I am very new at all this

Thanks!

Try keeping carbs periworkout, since your body is more sensitive to insulin at this time. I would up the protein as well. Here is what CT says about losing fat, this is from the “bodybuilding on the anabolic diet” thread.

As a baseline if you main goal is to lose fat:

• Protein: 1.5 to 1.75g per pound
  • Fat: 0.5g to 0.75g per pound
  • Carbs: less than 50g

this is NOT LBM it’s total body weight.

Lose the milk.
Lose the grains.

Fruits are healthy. But wellness doesnt equal fitness. I suggest cutting back and just getting a supplement high in ORAC.

Add more healthy fats.
Wheres the vegetables? You dont have enough alkalines in your diet.

I dont know what you currently weigh or what you want to get down to but your best bet is to eat clean–the less ingredients the better.

Unless you’re REALLY short (like 5’1") I don’t understand why you’re trying to lose weight. You have very little lean mass.

As for the actual diet, that article wasn’t even written by Berardi, it was written by Joel Marion. Honestly, I’d be surprised if he recommended the same thing four years later.

Im really short, 5’2 unfortunaelty, so im tryna be as lean as possible and avoid bulking up, as a short person like me with huge muscles would just be totaly unproportionate and look very odd.

So can you suggest a good article/diet for my needs?

Also, whats wrong with milk? i drink 1% fat skimmed milk btw

[quote]lamach wrote:
a short person like me with huge muscles would just be totaly unproportionate and look very odd.

[/quote]

Ummm…you are 5’2", you are already disproportionate and odd looking.

I know what you mean though, one day I just woke up and was fuckin’ hyoge!

thanks analog_kid!

so does any1 have any reccomendations as to what diet articles are good?

any1 tried this:
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=460250