T Nation

Critique My Diet, Please!

Those of you with more knowledge than me(that’s all of you lol) about nutrition, could you give me a few pointers and what to change in my diet?

I have a lot of ideas in my head already(from viewing the diet from a food log, very handy) I am trying to lose a bit of weight…4000 calories seem to be about maitenence for me, so 3500 a day should be good for a week or so.

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Richie_Is_Awesome

not shown: 25 grams of fiber per day.

This is much appreciated if you have the time!

Eat real meat. Not beef jerky. Chicken, beef, turkey.

More real food protein, more fats - eat more whole eggs, drink real milk, and consume alot less carbs.

Real macaroni and real cheese? 200 cals, I didn’t think so. Seems processed… since a serving of real pasta and real cheese would have a much different macro breakdown.

I’m eating at maintenance for a few weeks trying to drop BF…not 100% clean, but heres what I ate yesterday…

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=gabex

Oats, whey, apple juice, natty PB shake

Turkey & cheese on ‘low carb’ whole grain

1/2 Pre WO Shake with gatorade power

PWO shake with gatorade power

Bag of ‘light cesear salad mix’ plus two chicken breasts cooked in EVOO and provolone cheese

pb&j with 2 glasses skim milk

90% lean cheeseburger on wheat bun
popsecret 94% popcorn

[quote]Houshin Akai wrote:
Eat real meat. Not beef jerky. Chicken, beef, turkey.

More real food protein, more fats - eat more whole eggs, drink real milk, and consume alot less carbs.

Real macaroni and real cheese? 200 cals, I didn’t think so. Seems processed… since a serving of real pasta and real cheese would have a much different macro breakdown.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice!

As for the 200 call mac N cheese, it was a guess. The family had it and I had a small, quite small, portion which I estimate to be about 200 calories.

I didn’t post the carrots and other small veggies I had 'cause they totalled under 100 calories or so.

[quote]gabex wrote:
I’m eating at maintenance for a few weeks trying to drop BF…not 100% clean, but heres what I ate yesterday…

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=gabex

Oats, whey, apple juice, natty PB shake

Turkey & cheese on ‘low carb’ whole grain

1/2 Pre WO Shake with gatorade power

PWO shake with gatorade power

Bag of ‘light cesear salad mix’ plus two chicken breasts cooked in EVOO and provolone cheese

pb&j with 2 glasses skim milk

90% lean cheeseburger on wheat bun
popsecret 94% popcorn

[/quote]

I think you mean under maitenance :stuck_out_tongue:

Eh… the one you clicked on is today… I have yet to finish eating today…
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=gabex&Year=2007&Month=0&Day=6

Hey Richie,

Your diet looks like a great start…

500 cals under maintenance is a great starting point. I did notice you have over 450 grams of carbs for the day. I don’t know when you are eating these carbs but I’m guessing it is throughout the day. When you are trying to lose fat you’ll have better results if you just eat the carbs around your workout (Pre workout, Postworkout). Look up some of the articles on nutrient timing on here for more on that.

If you can substitute some more protein and healthy fats for those carbs you are on your way.

A great article for anyone starting to eat clean is John Berardis “7 habits”.

Good luck!

[quote]Richie_IsAwesome wrote:
Those of you with more knowledge than me(that’s all of you lol) about nutrition, could you give me a few pointers and what to change in my diet?

I have a lot of ideas in my head already(from viewing the diet from a food log, very handy) I am trying to lose a bit of weight…4000 calories seem to be about maitenence for me, so 3500 a day should be good for a week or so.

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Richie_Is_Awesome

not shown: 25 grams of fiber per day.

This is much appreciated if you have the time![/quote]

Hi, I am very new to this site, introduced to it, via my fiancee, via a golfing website. However all the nutritonal wonderings have me intrigued. I am an Australian Naturopath (rather different to American Naturopaths in the way we are taught and practice, from what I have been told). Anyway. just wanted to give you a little background.

One thing I can’t help but notice, is the complete lack of vegetables in your diet?
Is that a mistake in my reading or do you really not consume vegetables? Is this common practice amoungst body builders?.

Do you take nutritional supplements, such vitamin B complexes ect?
There are many nutrients needed for the body to be able to convert consumed protiens/ amino acids into muscle in the body, and to protect from muscle breakdown. These nuttrients are essential for muscle repair after strenous workouts also.

Of couse a lot of the nutrients can be found in your green leafy vegetables, yellow and orange and green vegetables and fruits.
however, for the amount of training that you do, I would assume taht you would need much higher amounts of a wide variety of nutrients than could be gained from dietry sources alone, making a comprehensive nutrinet supplement regieme essential. I appologise if this is old news, as I said, I am new to the site.
regards.

For

Hi, my fiancee, has just suggested that you refer to the T-DAWG DIET, on this web site. I havn’t had a chance to look at it my self (its 3:30am in Australia) but my man here has learnt a lot regarding nutrition also, and has just suggetsed it for you, and assures me its a very good well balanced diet.