Critique My Diet. Not Losing Weight

Hey guys, been dieting low carb for the past 2 weeks and really have not seen the results I’m used to. I’m 22 years old, 5’10 225lbs and if I had to guess, between 20-25% bodyfat (picture included so you can tell me if I am WAY off on the bf estimate).Here’s an example 3 days out of my diet logbook.

[quote]Friday 9/26
615am: 1 scp (scoop) MD (Metabolic Drive) in water + 2 HRX & 4 fish oil
Gym
9:15am (Post workout): 2 scps MD in Diet Pepsi mixed with 2 tbsp “Naturally More” peanut butter, 1 chicken breast w/ 2tbsp pico de gallo, 1 string cheese
200pm: 2 HRX, 2 scp MD in Diet Pepsi + 1 string cheese
530pm: 1 chicken breast w/ salsa & tabasco, 5 hard boiled eggs, 1 string cheese
645: 2 scp MD
830: (Cheat meal) 2 small pieces homemade pineapple pizza and 2 Bud Selects[/quote]

[quote]Saturday 9/27
1015am: 1 scp MD in Diet Pepsi, 2 HRX & 4 Fish Oil
Gym (Legs & HIIT… ouch)
100pm: Chicken breast w/ salsa, 4 hard boiled eggs w/ salsa, 2 scp MD w/ natural PB, 1 string cheese
400pm: 2 scp MD w/ 2tbsp natural PB
730pm: 1 string cheese, 1 chicken breast, 2 tbsp PB
1030: 1 bag of Steam Fresh peas and mushrooms
[/quote]

[quote]Sunday 9/28
900am: 2 scps MD + 2 HRX = 4 Fish Oil
1100am: 1 scp MD
Long stretch where I was unable to eat because of random circumstance
600pm: 2 scp MD w/ 2tbsp PB, 2 servings cottage cheese w/ salsa on a low carb whole wheat burrito wrap, 2 more HRX
815pm: More cottage cheese and salsa and 1 more tbsp PB[/quote]

[quote]Today (so-far)
615am: 1 scp MD
Gym until 8:00
815: 2 servings cottage cheese w/ salsa
900: 4 hb eggs w/ salsa on low carb whole wheat wrap, 2 scp choc MD
1200: 2 scp MD[/quote]

These have been my three most erratic days so far in my 2 weeks of dieting but even with them, the carbs have been relatively low and the calories are below 2,000.

My first weigh in was exactly 9/15 after a bender of a weekend (home football game here at FSU): 228.6lbs
Over the next day or two I dropped down to around 224, but on weigh in day 2 (9/22) I was 225.

Now today (9/29) I’m 224.6. That’s a .4lb loss in one week of low carb.

Is something wrong here?

Are you working out?

Yea I’m on a six day per week split. Usually 3-4 workouts for 3-4 sets of 10-12 and 20 minutes uphill walking on the treadmill. Worked in some HIIT sprints this weekend too.

protien and diet pepsi?

no man. no.

Also,

IT’S ONLY BEEN 2 WEEKS.

give it time.

also; clean up your diet some…don’t have a cheat day until you earn it. and earning it doesn’t mean going to the gym…see some major results first.

Dang I had no idea mixing diet soft drinks with protein was an issue. I’ve been doing that for a while. Will definitely cut that out and now that I think about it, I drink way too much diet soda anyways. Gonna limit myself to two a day. Thanks B rock

What do you think about the rest of it? Is using salsa as a condiment for my chicken much of an issue? It’s not the Pace type stuff. It’s either Newman’s own or the fresh Pico de Gallo they sell at stores.

And what do you think about eating string cheese and cottage cheese? Other than those two things, my dairy intake is zero.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
protien and diet pepsi?

no man. no.[/quote]

What’s wrong with protein and diet pepsi?

[quote]Fiction wrote:
B rocK wrote:
protien and diet pepsi?

no man. no.

What’s wrong with protein and diet pepsi?[/quote]

Together? Like a diet pepsi shake? Yuck.

I’m all for beer flavored shakes though. Mmmmm…beer.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Fiction wrote:
B rocK wrote:
protien and diet pepsi?

no man. no.

What’s wrong with protein and diet pepsi?

Together? Like a diet pepsi shake? Yuck.

I’m all for beer flavored shakes though. Mmmmm…beer.
[/quote]

Well I agree it doesn’t sound too tasty, but to each his own. I don’t think it would be unhealthy or make his dieting harder.

…I wonder what Guinness and vanilla whey would taste like.

I’ve used Vanilla Metabolic Drive as creamer in my coffee before. It’s pretty good.

[quote]Brick Top wrote:

These have been my three most erratic days so far in my 2 weeks of dieting but even with them, the carbs have been relatively low and the calories are below 2,000.

[/quote]

I think your calories are too low. If you weigh 225, you probably shouldn’t go below body weightx10 (which is considered extreme dieting, by CT and Berardi, at least). Maybe try to increase your calories to at least 2250, and see what that does.

Also, if you just started a low-carb diet, your body may not be fat-adapted. You’re fat intake should take up about 60-70% of your calories until you are adapted (about 2 weeks), which at that point you can lower your fat to manipulate your calories while keeping protein at least at 1g/lb of bodyweight.

Hope that helps.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
protien and diet pepsi?

no man. no.

Also,

IT’S ONLY BEEN 2 WEEKS.

give it time.

also; clean up your diet some…don’t have a cheat day until you earn it. and earning it doesn’t mean going to the gym…see some major results first. [/quote]

I don’t care what kind of diet someone is trying. If there’s been very little or not weight change in 2 weeks something is wrong. Even the absolute slowest fat loss would still be around a half a pound a week.

He’s clearly eating too few calories for one thing. Under 2000 at 225. Bump it up to 2300/2400 CLEAN for a week. At least 115g fat, 225 protein. Keep the carbs (non-fibrous) under 70. I doubt you’ll see too much weight change during the week (maybe a half pound or a pound) but it should move. After that slowly decreases the calories (by reducing the fat intake) by maybe 100 or 200 a week until you get down to 2000 again. Start the cycle over.

Hey Jeffe, thanks a lot for the input.

I have another question though. And I know this is probably a massive newbie question so I’m sorry in advance.

But with me trying to add on some more calories while keeping it clean, I think I might add a bag of Steam Fresh vegetables every day. My question is… do I need to worry about sticking to recommended serving sizes with clean foods?

Like with these frozen peas, I want to eat a whole bag (4 servings) to add an additional 280 calories, 20g protein, 16g fiber and 48 (total) g carbs. Can I eat the whole bag?

Picked up some turkey and beef burgers at the store today. Gonna cut back on the chicken and eggs a little bit and get some more fats in.

I never thought someone would tell me to eat beef patties to lose more weight… This is awesome!!

Adjusted my diet a today to include some more fats. Today’s food log:

730 - 2HRX + 4 Fish Oil
Gym
915 - 1 hamburger patty (cooked on foreman) + 2 scoops choc. Metabolic Drive
1210 - 1 turkey burger patty, 1 diet pepsi and 2 more HRX
415 - 1 hamburger patty (cooked on foreman) with 1 fork full of pico de gallo
715 - 1 large chicken breast with tabasco, ketchup and pico de gallo
900 - 1 hamburger patty (cooked on foreman) w/ ketchup
1130 - 2 scoops banana Metabolic Drive with 2 tbsp natural PB

Fat- 89g
Calories - 1710
Protein - 205