Critique My Deadlift

Please check out my video

This is my 1st time taping it so I know there will be errors but please tell me ways I can improve it.

can’t see it. upload to youtube.

If you put it on YouTube I’d be able to see it and maybe offer some advice :slight_smile: (Some of us are on Linux, you see.)

Wow, myspace sucks ass at hosting videos. I have the latest flash player and it keeps telling me to update.

I second putting it on youtube.

-Dan

despite the problems others were having with the video i was able to see it, it looked decent to me and this may just be the camera angle but it looked like your back didnt stay locked flat in the lift, it looked like you arched it a bit. again, could be the angle, but other than that, pretty good form

i cant see it either…youtube it.

Sorry about that. Heres the new link.

[quote]BigLopic wrote:
Sorry about that. Heres the new link.[/quote]

Ah, much better.

I second that you may have started to round a little bit at the low back, but I think it was because your setup was a little off. Notice how the bar doesn’t start to rise until it swings closer to you and your hips are a bit higher?

There are two ways you can go with it.

1. Lower the weight a bit and keep your hips low at the start (as it looks like you’re trying to do). Your quads look like they’ll need to catch up to your hips and back in this case.

2. Start with higher hips. Absolutely nothing wrong with this position if your goal is to move the most weight possible. Just make sure the bar is parked directly against your shins and you have a slight arch in your back at the start (I think you’ll need just a little more hamstring flexibility if you go that route).

Other than the shaky start, though, it looked good. Smooth and not too tough.

-Dan

Ah, that’s better. You could also put it on your T-Nation profile.

Anyway, the one problem I see is that your hips start moving before the weight leaves the ground. As has been said many times around these parts, you should imagine you are pushing the floor away from you with your feet, so the moment your legs start pushing, the weight starts moving up.

I think that you straighten out your legs too early. I have the same problem when the weight gets heavy that is.

I agree with what others are saying. If the watch the video closely you can see that your shoulders virtually stay at the same elevation above the ground while your legs straighten out and you butt rises. It’s not until your legs are just about straight that you start to raise your shoulders. As a result, the angle of your back decreases during the first part. You will need to drop weight and focus on pulling the weight from the floor and keeping you back angle the same or increasing. Once you practice this new pulling form you can start working heavier.

how much was that? what does your training look like? can you post a vid from the front so I can see your set up? getting a critique is a very hard thing from just one video. i’m not ripping on you, just saying. nevertheless, i agree with some others that you got hung up on your knees. this is probably because you are trying to squat the weight up. this normally results in jerky deads. its really hard to tell someone what they are weak at when they are in front of you nevertheless just by seeing one video. still, good job on the lift!

Thanks guys. I’ll pm u guys this comming week and I’ll go from 315 to 225 and tape both angles front and side. I appreciate all your help.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
2) Start with higher hips. Absolutely nothing wrong with this position if your goal is to move the most weight possible. Just make sure the bar is parked directly against your shins and you have a slight arch in your back at the start (I think you’ll need just a little more hamstring flexibility if you go that route).[/quote]

Pulling that off safely requires monstrous erector strength coupled with good spinal flexibility, as you pointed out. If he is incorporating leg drive into the lift and squatting the weight up it is a sign that he does not possess adequate back strength to do a PL-style pull.

I think he’d be better off working with lower weights and staying above 3 reps.