Critique My Deadlift and Bench Press

Hi everyone, could you please offer some advice for my deadlift and bench press? I’ve been doing deadlift for 3 weeks (bench press for abt a year or so) The 2nd rep of the deadlift was surely off balanced, and I think my neck wasn’t neutral. Would greatly appreciate any tips :slight_smile:

Hi, could anyone help critique my deadlift and bench press form. Greatly appreciate

http://www.youtu.be/tKIpSbXC2j4
bp 60kg x 7

deadlift 90kg x 5

Thanks I’m sorry I don’t have enough post

Actually looks pretty good man.

The only thing I would say about bench is to take care not to let your elbows flare out; maybe keep em a little more tucked in towards your body.

On your deadlifts, the only thing I can see from the video that I would do differently is stand back up between each rep. You don’t have to take your hands off the bar, but I like to straighten my legs after a rep, then lower back down and do the next rep. It’s the same thing that helps when you max out. Don’t sit for very long in the starting position before you begin the pull.

Bench:
Tuck your elbows in. Arch. Get tight (retract shoulder blades, brace abs, est.). Push through your heels. You look like a fish wiggling around.

Deadlift:
You shoulders look infront of the bar a bit. Get them directly over the bar.

You mentioned also that you would greatly appreciate any tips. These may be obvious to you already, but just in case, here are a few general things that can be helpful:

Regardless of the lift, try to keep all of your muscles tight. On bench, grip the bar as hard as you can, keep your core tight, keep your lower back arched and tight, flex your upper back, and even keep your legs pushing into the floor.

Same goes for deadlift, grip the bar as hard as you can, even if you don’t need to grip it that hard to lift the weight. Tighten your core like someone is about to punch you, and obviously have your lower back arched and strong at all times. When pulling with a conventional stance (like you are) stand close enough to the bar so that once you bend down to begin the lift, the bar will touch your shins and your knees will be slightly over the bar. Don’t use too wide of a stance, and have your hands gripping the bar just outside of your legs.

You may have already known all of that, but just in case you didn’t, I hope you found it helpful!

You’ll need to read and follow this:

And these:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Deadlift:
You shoulders look infront of the bar a bit. Get them directly over the bar.[/quote]

I actually lift my best with my shoulders slightly in front of the bar and my lats pulling the bar back. Moves some of the load closer to the hips and takes some strain off of the lower back during the first part of the lift.

I have a long torso, though, so my lower back has always been my weak point for DL.

Csulli, please stop posting advice. I’m not intentionally trying to be a dick, but I don’t know how else to put it. If you can’t even spot a bad setup on BP and DL, you should not give advice. I read some of your posts from other threads, too, and I don’t get the impression that you’ve been lifting for very long at all.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Csulli, please stop posting advice. I’m not intentionally trying to be a dick, but I don’t know how else to put it. If you can’t even spot a bad setup on BP and DL, you should not give advice. I read some of your posts from other threads, too, and I don’t get the impression that you’ve been lifting for very long at all.[/quote]

Help me out man; what did I say to this dude that was bad advice?

On bench:
I said push your legs into the floor, your article said “push your heels into the floor”
I said grip the bar as hard as you can, your article said “squeeze the shit out of it” (lol)
I said take care not to let your elbows flare out, your article said “tuck the elbows”

On deadlift:
I said the bar will touch your shins, your article said “step up to the barbell so that your shins actually touch it.”
I said have your hands gripping the bar just outside of your legs, your article said “grasp the barbell with a grip that puts your forearms right up against the sides of your thighs”
I said tighten your core like someone is about to punch you, your article said “take a big gasp of air into your stomach to help stabilize your spine”

I was tryin’ to help this dude out. I’ve been lifting for a while now. Maybe we just have very different styles. I can do 485/315/525 (@198 raw if that matters), and I feel like I can give someone helpful advice who isn’t that far along yet. If someone posts a video asking for advice on their 450 bench press, then I’m keepin my damn mouth shut lol.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Csulli, please stop posting advice. I’m not intentionally trying to be a dick, but I don’t know how else to put it. If you can’t even spot a bad setup on BP and DL, you should not give advice. I read some of your posts from other threads, too, and I don’t get the impression that you’ve been lifting for very long at all.[/quote]

On bench:
I said push your legs into the floor, your article said “push your heels into the floor”
I said grip the bar as hard as you can, your article said “squeeze the shit out of it” (lol)
I said take care not to let your elbows flare out, your article said “tuck the elbows”

On deadlift:
I said the bar will touch your shins, your article said “step up to the barbell so that your shins actually touch it.”
I said have your hands gripping the bar just outside of your legs, your article said “grasp the barbell with a grip that puts your forearms right up against the sides of your thighs”
I said tighten your core like someone is about to punch you, your article said “take a big gasp of air into your stomach to help stabilize your spine”

I was tryin’ to help this dude out. I’ve been lifting for a while now. Maybe we just have very different styles. I can do 485/315/525 (@198 raw if that matters), and I feel like I can give someone helpful advice who isn’t that far along yet. If someone posts a video asking for advice on their 450 bench press, then I’m keepin my damn mouth shut lol.[/quote]

You need to be more mean when you give advice. “Actually looks pretty good man,” is not an appropriate response to his bench form.

@OP: On bench, you need to reassess everything. Feet solid, hands in closer, tuck elbow, arch better, grip tight, bring bar lower, contract shoulder blades.

Deadlift looks like you’ve got the idea of pulling backward, but you’re not pulling your upper body back, you’re just sitting back as though it’s a good morning. If you’re not already, try this:

Pull slack from bar.
Feel tension in back (try to arched) and hamstrings.
Pull as fast as you can.
Arch back.
Flex glutes.
Do not let your form go.

Watch this video at :50 or so. See how he bends his knees a couple of times? I believe it helps realize the tightness of your form, and gets your quads into the movement a little bit better. Not everyone does it, but I do, and I notice a lot of top deadlifters do as well. Just something to think about.

[quote]louiek wrote:
You need to be more mean when you give advice. “Actually looks pretty good man,” is not an appropriate response to his bench form.
[/quote]

Well okay I see what you mean; my bad. I can tell he made an effort to tighten up, and he went all the way with his chest with the bar and didn’t bounce. It makes me happy to see a beginner doing at least that.

I’ve seen dudes come halfway down with it and then shoot their damn ass up into the air a foot off the bench and send one of their legs flyin up and then rack it and call it good lol.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

On bench:
I said take care not to let your elbows flare out, your article said “tuck the elbows”[/quote]
There is a lot more to it than just those three things. The first thing that would need to be addressed is the setup. Grip width, stance width, arch, tightness of the upper back, and gripping the bar need to be perfect before even unracking the weight. Without the proper setup, you bench like shit.

The OP’s setup is wrong from square one. Hence the link instead of me dissecting every little detail.

[quote]On deadlift:

I was tryin’ to help this dude out. I’ve been lifting for a while now. Maybe we just have very different styles. I can do 485/315/525 (@198 raw if that matters), and I feel like I can give someone helpful advice who isn’t that far along yet. If someone posts a video asking for advice on their 450 bench press, then I’m keepin my damn mouth shut lol.[/quote]
Here again, the OP needs help from the ground up, and you just give him a few helpful hints.

Nobody even mentioned that he’s rounding his lower back!!!

Guys trying to squeeze a few more pounds out their lifts will benefit from helpful hints. OP needs a complete introduction on the in-and-outs of lifting.