Critique My Conventional Pulls (425 Sumo)

Which rep looks better? 1st or 2nd? Each i tried a different style of pulling.

anyone?

It looks like you focus so much on speed and making the weight look easy, that it affects your form. If you pause the vid right after the weight goes off the floor, you do about the same thing in both lifts. You shoot your ass up to compensate, so it looks like a semi-RDL. You should focus on keeping your ass a little lower. Other than that it’s pretty good. Remember that form should always come before speed.

[quote]ahnz wrote:
It looks like you focus so much on speed and making the weight look easy, that it affects your form. If you pause the vid right after the weight goes off the floor, you do about the same thing in both lifts. You shoot your ass up to compensate, so it looks like a semi-RDL. You should focus on keeping your ass a little lower. Other than that it’s pretty good. Remember that form should always come before speed.[/quote]
I noticed that as well with the 2nd pull.

I think some heavier pulls will force me to stay tighter. Saturday I will definitely record my last 3+ working set on 531 and post that up.

[quote]mg3 wrote:

Which rep looks better? 1st or 2nd? Each i tried a different style of pulling.[/quote]

Your set up looks too quick on the first rep. The 2nd is a little better because you take more time before the pull. I understand for some “Grippin and Rippin” gets a stronger lift but, for you I would take a little more time. A couple things that helped me with keeping the hips down are contracting the lats hard and looking straight ahead or up. These cues also help with keeping a solid spine position and the chest up.

^Fill that belly with a whole bunch of air and flex your abs as hard as you can when you get set up. That should also help keeping your hips from shooting up in the beginning.

[quote]earthshaker wrote:

Your set up looks too quick on the first rep. The 2nd is a little better because you take more time before the pull. I understand for some “Grippin and Rippin” gets a stronger lift but, for you I would take a little more time. A couple things that helped me with keeping the hips down are contracting the lats hard and looking straight ahead or up. These cues also help with keeping a solid spine position and the chest up.[/quote]

Definetly will try to do this during warmups. I messed around with my squat today as well at the end of my working sets. Ill do the same this weekend and post vids up

Regardless of how you pull the whole set up in just about proper load sequencing and finding the best position for your body type. This link should help. http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/12/episode-346-pull-set-up-from-sumo-load-order-3.html

[quote]Tomrender wrote:
Regardless of how you pull the whole set up in just about proper load sequencing and finding the best position for your body type. This link should help. http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/12/episode-346-pull-set-up-from-sumo-load-order-3.html [/quote]

interesting. After watching my video i posted over and over, i noticed I truely could benefit from some leg drive.

Going to work on my quad strength. Deadlift Stance leg presses and front squats should do the job?

[quote]mg3 wrote:

[quote]Tomrender wrote:
Regardless of how you pull the whole set up in just about proper load sequencing and finding the best position for your body type. This link should help. http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/12/episode-346-pull-set-up-from-sumo-load-order-3.html [/quote]

interesting. After watching my video i posted over and over, i noticed I truely could benefit from some leg drive.

Going to work on my quad strength. Deadlift Stance leg presses and front squats should do the job?[/quote]

Maybe. I’m not saying they won’t work for you, but leg presses never did much for me. My point is just that it may or may not work for you.

Just to throw out some other options, you can throw chains on the bar for front squats and hammer the hell out of your upper back and work on leg speed, really narrow stance olympic squats, deadlifts with weightlifting shoes or some kind of slightly raised heel, and quad dominant one leg work like lunges.

If you want a really leggy deadlift try snatch grip deadlifts with weightlifting shoes while really forcing your hips down and back upright. You’ll have to focus on pulling your knees back as you initiate the pull so your knees don’t get in the way as the bar travels up.