T Nation

Critique my Compound Workout!

Hi, I’ve been training proper for about 6months now, did well on a push-pull programme and added around 16lbs in weight…

However a drop too much fat for my liking, so i’m just in the process of finishing a V-diet (also as about to go on holiday and wanted to be leaner in a hurry!!!).

I’m going to use CT’s Carb Cycling Codex going forward thereafter…

Anyway, i’ve designed a fairly solid compound routine (or 2 as you’ll see), an Upper/Lower split and another Push/Pull…there both using essentially the same exercises, just obviously in different arrangements (note: this push/pull is much more compound than my first go at it). I much prefer hitting heavy compound exercises, and definately feel them working a lot more, iso work doesn’t really fuss me!
My goal is to add as much lean mass as possible to my frame.

Here they are:

Upper/Lower Split

Upper:
Incline Press
Push Press
Dips
Hammer-grip Pull ups
T-bar row
Bent over row into shrug-pull.

Lower:
Back Squat
Front Squat
Deadlifts
Stiff-legged Deadlifts
Calf raises
Ab work

Push/Pull Split

Push:
Back Squat
Incline Press
Push Press
Dips
Front Squat
Calf raise

Pull:
Deadlift
Hammer-grip pull up
T-bar row
Bent over row into Shrug-pull
Stiff legged deadlift
Ab work

…both would be performed twice a week, a heavier intensity and a lower intensity day for each, so 4 workouts a week. Each exercise will be done for 3 working sets, adding a set each week, following CT’s periodisation outlines, so that means ill also alternate in 4 week blocks of hypertrophy and then more strength orientated rep-ranges and intensities (ie accumulation and intensification blocks)

I have one issue with both, on the upper/lower, on the lower day i fear im gonna fry my lower back heavily…but conversely on the push/pull, i think i may struggle to perform out optimally on the deadlifts as my legs will be screwed after squats the day before!!

Other than that, i can’t wait to polish off this v-diet and get back to it and add some mass! I’m just pondering which to take (i realise i may be overanalysing this maybe!!!)

All thoughts welcome, please be constructive…lets hear it then! Cheers

If you can do back squats, front squats, deadlifts, and stiff-legged deadlifts on the same day then you are not doing any of them right.

The lower split is going to be deadly being only slightly heavy.

Have you tried doing antagonist push/pull? That is money.

[quote]GuerillaZen wrote:
If you can do back squats, front squats, deadlifts, and stiff-legged deadlifts on the same day then you are doing any of them right.[/quote]

Yea, i did think that…it looked good on paper but the more i look at it i realise that the upper/lower is not gonna work on the lower days, form would get awfully sloppy!

So you’d say go with the push/pull?

[quote]jb413 wrote:
My goal is to add as much lean mass as possible to my frame.

[/quote]

In that case I would suggest you not try to “periodize” your training and use 4-week blocks or any of that, and probably split up your bodyparts more than just upper/lower or push/pull to give them more attention and focus, and obviously not leave out entire muscle groups like biceps.

If you’re really set on a 2-way split i’d rather see something similar to a westside setup (with repeated effort days instead of any dynamic effort days), obviously tailored more towards bodybuilding.

But honestly you’d probably have an easier time if you were in the gym 5-6 days a week and doing more than just one exercise per bodypart.

edit::

Also, being overly concerned with fat gain and doing things like cycling carbohydrates when trying to gain muscle is one of those things that may or may not hamper your muscle growth… but it certainly won’t HELP IT at all. To me something like that would just be an overcomplication.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
The lower split is going to be deadly being only slightly heavy.

Have you tried doing antagonist push/pull? That is money. [/quote]

Analog_kid

Could you explain what an antagonist push/pull is? I know what antagonist is and also what push pull is but don’t see how they relate.

Thanks.