T Nation

Critique my 5-3-1 Split

Monday: Bench 531,Tricep,Rows+Rear Delt SS,Curls,Easy Conditioning

Wednesday: Power Clean 531,Squat531, Bodyweight low back movement, Weighted Ab Work, Hard Conditioning

Friday: Military 531,Db Chest Work,Chins,Easy Conditioning

Saturday: Deadlift 531,Shrugs, Quads,Weighted Abs, Hard Conditioning

as long as you are getting the main lifts in, the rest is less important

personally, if you’ve never gone through the program, I would do the Boring but Big template

page 32

assistance work needs to compliment the training, not detract from it

why have you deviated so extremely from the template?

who says do cleans and squat 531 on the same day? huh? that is madness

yeah seriously, you’re doing deadlifts already. your lower back is gonna be fried.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
why have you deviated so extremely from the template?

who says do cleans and squat 531 on the same day? huh? that is madness[/quote]

Direct Quote from page 70 of 5-3-1 book:

Question: Can I use power cleans (or something similar) in this program? If so, where would you put them?

Answer: Yes, this is a great idea. I?d recommend doing power cleans, hang cleans, power snatches or hang snatches if want to choose an Olympic movement. If you want to do these along with the regular training, I?d recommend doing them before you perform your squat or deadlift workout.

[quote]bigNasty_ wrote:
yeah seriously, you’re doing deadlifts already. your lower back is gonna be fried.[/quote]

Direct Quote from page 70 of 5-3-1 book:

Question: Can I use power cleans (or something similar) in this program? If so, where would you put them?

Answer: Yes, this is a great idea. I?d recommend doing power cleans, hang cleans, power snatches or hang snatches if want to choose an Olympic movement. If you want to do these along with the regular training, I?d recommend doing them before you perform your squat or deadlift workout.

It’s looks fine. The only changes I would make is move the tricep (or bicep) exercise to MP day to spread out the volume a bit and I wouldn’t do cleans 531. Use the cleans to prep your nervous system and ready your body for squats, keep the reps in the 6-10 range.
Ultimately you’ll know soon enough if doing cleans was the right choice or not at whatever rep range you choose.

yea, read your “direct quote” again, it doesnt say anything about doing the cleans 5/3/1 style.

why did you not put any supplemental quad work on squat day, then put it on deads day, and leave hams supplemental out of deads day?

if you had to pick one or the other, id ditch quads on dead day in favor of ham/glute work.

yea, read your “direct quote” again, it doesnt say anything about doing the cleans 5/3/1 style.

why did you not put any supplemental quad work on squat day, then put it on deads day, and leave hams supplemental out of deads day?

if you had to pick one or the other, id ditch quads on dead day in favor of ham/glute work.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:

if you had to pick one or the other, id ditch quads on dead day in favor of ham/glute work. [/quote]

On this post, wendler says assistance can be inversed(ham assistance on squat, quad assistance on deadlift day)

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=93566&tid=

On this post, wendler says you can program cleans with 5-3-1

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=93724&tid=

[quote]jsrlifter wrote:
dez6485 wrote:

On this post, wendler says assistance can be inversed(ham assistance on squat, quad assistance on deadlift day)

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=93566&tid=

On this post, wendler says you can program cleans with 5-3-1

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=93724&tid= [/quote]

hey, you know the answers so just do the work!

yea…why did you even ask?

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
yea…why did you even ask?[/quote]

For nut hugging purposes?