Critique Lower Body Program

Sorry I made a thread Heavy 2x a week, rather I prefer a critque of my program I’ve made to help me get stronger in the deadlift and keep my squat rising (my squat is stronger than my deadlift)

I am using the Westside standard template exercise order (not using exact program, just the order of exercises)
they go like this

ME or DE movement
Hamstrings
Low Back
Abs

That is the standard template I came up with this from that:

Day 1:

-Squat (either work up to 3-5RM, wave loading such as 2,4,6,2,4,6, or 3x3,3x5, or a ramp of 4x6 on squats) - will be determined on what is going on through the cycle/and how hard I will go on RDL’s for next exercise/what I’m doing the next week…if I’m doing front squats as main movement for example, then I will do RDL, if I’m doing stiff legs then I’ll do glute hams)

• RDL’s/Glute Hams - ramped up for a few sets - again will depend on what main movement is the 2nd day

• Good mornings/Hyperextensions (ramped for sets of 8-10) or DB Swings (straight sets)

• Abs

Day 2:

Deadlift variation changed WEEKLY - front squat, stiff leg deads, deficit deads, sumo deads, rack pulls,

Use different movement for each week (3 weeks, deload, and then for the next 3 weeks try to break PR’s in each movement used)

• 2nd movement - Use one of the above exercises but go for more reps etc. Ramp up to a few sets anywhere between 4-10 reps, (this is to build the muscles up for the deadlift)

So the first is to build more strength solely (1-5RM, wave loading of 2,4,6,2,4,6…or 3x3)

2nd one is to pack on some size and strength with it?

I really want to pack some size on my legs and stuff…they are big right now…27.5inches at the top thighs (definaetly came from squatting) and I wouldn’t mind getting them to 30…yes I am ready to gain bodyweight as well I will be eating a lot.

I am just wondering if this will be enough stimulation for MUSCLE increase, not just NEURAL strength adaption.

Alright so any recomendations to tweak?

Also just wanted to mention if it were better to do more ramping and reps on my movements instead of working up to 1-5’s or even wave loading - and just ramp like 3 sets of 4-6 reps. Thanks guys!

I wanna get my squat past 500lbs! deep, raw!

You have to remember that with conjugate periodization, the ME and DE work are what train the CNS. All of the strength gains will come from the supplemental and accessory work. Load it however you want. Also, I wouldnt necessarily program the supplemental and accessory work. Just keep the basic outline that you posted above and work off of that.

Jason

Wow, I never even thought of that…thank you so much lol I never thought of the ME work and such training the CNS, and the accessory + supplemental gained strength.

The thing with me is I made all my gains from ME work alone. I would squat heavy and often…that’s it…no supplemental work no accessory.

I’ve squatted 405x15 reps cause of this though at 205lbs. Deeper than parallel as well…but I don’t train for a powerlifting competitions anymore…but I do want to get as strong as possible, and keep up with my boxing.

Anyways thank you for this post, it has given me confidence in my programming. I will stick to the main movements like that.

I was curious though, are we still trying to train CNS when we are using GM’s, Front squats, deficit deads etc. when we use that as our Main ME movement for that day…or is it better to work up to a 5RM with those and, maybe even do a drop set with 8-10 reps afterwards. Then move onto accessory +supplemental work.

Again, thanks for the post, cleared my head of quite a bit of stuff! I will keep updated on progress in this forum.

You can do 405 x 15 but you can’t squat 500? To me, that screams lack of CNS and/or stability. How far apart are day 1 and day 2?

No no, let me explain. By past 500 deep and raw I mean like 550 or more. I don’t remember how many reps I did 405 with before I could do 500, I think it was I did 8-9 reps with 405 and I could do 500lbs then. I don’t have that 405x15 squat strength anymore, I used to really hammer it…so I never tested my max…I have no clue what it was around…I was just doing rep days with my squats 13-15 reps and got up to 405x15. ( was doing the Big Beyond Belief bodybuilding program)

The program I am making right now is something I’VE NEVER really tried. (the one I want critiqued)

I want everyone to know that my assistance used to be pretty much nothing other than bulgarin split squats sometimes…and for a while I did pause squats for 3x3 after squatting heavy for a either 8RM, 5RM, or 3RM.

And that would be my workout, then I would on deadlift day…work up to a heavy max on deadlift for reps…usually fail the weight I wanted to get, and try to do the same thing next week. And fail again, and continued to do that for a while. Why? I have no clue. My squat kept going up, but my deadlift stalled and always got lower. Until I did an 8-9 week cycle of pretty much no deadlifting and went from 425-500lbs in 8 weeks, I only deadlifted once if I remember correctly. All I did was heavy front squats, back extensions…stiff leg deads, all for 5 reps heavy as I can, then drop set for 10 reps. Then another assistance exercise for my hamstrings/low back.

BESIDES all that the set up for the program is:

Sunday - upper body
Mon - Squat
Wed - Upper body
Fri - deadlift day

I also wanted to say that after I do my deadlift variant + assistance I will follow up with some pull-ups, BB rows, chin’s, db rows - I’ll just pick 2 and hit them hard for some reps/sets.

[quote]rasturai wrote:

• 2nd movement - Use one of the above exercises but go for more reps etc. Ramp up to a few sets anywhere between 4-10 reps, (this is to build the muscles up for the deadlift)

So the first is to build more strength solely (1-5RM, wave loading of 2,4,6,2,4,6…or 3x3)

2nd one is to pack on some size and strength with it?

I really want to pack some size on my legs and stuff…they are big right now…27.5inches at the top thighs (definaetly came from squatting) and I wouldn’t mind getting them to 30…yes I am ready to gain bodyweight as well I will be eating a lot.
[/quote]

If you’re looking for some hypertrophy, why not jack up the volume on this second exercise? I’m partial to 5x10 due to 5/3/1.