Critique High Vol/Low Freq Program

So I was reading CT’s article about different training types. And I never rly did a bodybuilder oriented program. I also recently have decided to compete in a bodybuilding show Nov. of next year. So I figured I want ti give a routine with some more volume a shot. He had some guide lines to follow and I did but this seems like a lot IMO. but thats me, what do you think of this routine?

I know a lot of it is more split up work, I wanted it that way, over the year I plan to give a number of routines a try, like: HSS-100, 5x5 with texas method, WS4SB and a few others. So I’ll be getting my share of workouts that are majority compound lifts so I thought this would be a nice change of pace.
Anyway, what do you think of it? Got any improvements or suggestions?
Thanks

Day 1: Chest and biceps
Flat bench 4x8-12 reps (Rest-pause)
Incline bench 4x6-8 reps
Decline bench 4x6-8 reps
EZ Bar Curls 3x8-12 reps
Zottoman Curls 3x8-12 reps

Day 2: Quads, hams, and calves
Back Squat OR Hack Squat 4x6-8 reps
Leg Press 4x8-12 reps (Rest-pause)(one leg at a time)
Walking Lunges 4x6-8 reps
Leg Curls 3x8-12 reps
DB SLDL 3x8-12 reps
Calve raises 3x8-12 reps

Day 3: Cardio/Metabolic
Up to me

Day 4: Back, lower back, and traps
BB rows 4x8-12 reps (Post-fatigue with pull downs VVV)
Bar Pull downs 4x8-12 reps
Unilateral cable pull down 4x6-8 reps
Back Extensions 3x8-12 reps
DB Shrugs 3x8-12 reps

Day 5: Off

Day 6: Shoulders, triceps, and abs
Military Press 4x8-12 reps (Rest-pause)
Lateral raises 4x8-12 reps
Rear Delt Flyes 3x8-12 reps
Over head Extensions 3x8-12 reps
Tricep Pull downs 3x8-12 reps
Ables(ab) 3x- For these I’m gonna do some of the ab workouts scott able recommended.
Ables(ab) 3x-

Day 7: Off

There is a lot of info on here and quite a few changes that I would make according to coach Thibs’ methods ( he has a few;). I think it would be best if you bought 2 of his books- The Black Book of Training Secrets, and Dr Jekyll and Hyde. Both books explain why he uses different techniques and the methods to his “madness”. Also remember that he was a former powerlifter that built of his frame from powerful movements and contributes some of his physique to his early style of training.

Why are you changing your workout? Are you not making progress on your current plan? I would say to keep things the same if it works. Change things up if you’re not seeing results. And don’t switch to split training until you have a good amount of mass on you;) Since I have no real info on your personal stats this convo could take hour/days/weeks. Buy his books and read them if you’re not making progress or just want some change- they’re good reads. (Don’t swtich if you’re making progress:)

[quote]Hard Hank wrote:
There is a lot of info on here and quite a few changes that I would make according to coach Thibs’ methods ( he has a few;). I think it would be best if you bought 2 of his books- The Black Book of Training Secrets, and Dr Jekyll and Hyde. Both books explain why he uses different techniques and the methods to his “madness”. Also remember that he was a former powerlifter that built of his frame from powerful movements and contributes some of his physique to his early style of training.

Why are you changing your workout? Are you not making progress on your current plan? I would say to keep things the same if it works. Change things up if you’re not seeing results. And don’t switch to split training until you have a good amount of mass on you;) Since I have no real info on your personal stats this convo could take hour/days/weeks. Buy his books and read them if you’re not making progress or just want some change- they’re good reads. (Don’t swtich if you’re making progress:)[/quote]

Well Strength gains are good but I’m looking for mostly size gains currently. And I have gotten vary little from my past workouts. Plus this is something I would rly like to try.
I always have planned to read this books, hopefully I can get my hands on one in the future but I dont wanna wait to do this program until I read the book, that could take a good amount of time for me.

So what would you recommend/change? Can some one help me with the routine itself?

what kind of program have you been doing before this and what are your current numbers?

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
what kind of program have you been doing before this and what are your current numbers?[/quote]

rippetoe, 5x5, ws4sb, own stuff which was mostly low reps.
BP: 225, SQ: 320, DL: 385

anyone got any changes or advice for this workout? I plan to start it in a month or so, anything will be appreciated, if not then Ill just use it as is.
Thanks

Okay- Since you’re starting in a month, I’ll write some advice in little bits. Here’s the first one:

When doing your first exercise, keep the reps low- around 5. Low reps equals high testosterone output and lets you do your strength movement while your fresh.

Your next exercise should be moderate weights 6-10 reps or so. This will add volume to your workout session which will allow you to build a lot of muscle.

Your last exercise would be a isolation movement at higher reps (12-15)and low rest to get lactic acid buildup in the muscles which will increase GH production.

[quote]Hard Hank wrote:
Okay- Since you’re starting in a month, I’ll write some advice in little bits. Here’s the first one:

When doing your first exercise, keep the reps low- around 5. Low reps equals high testosterone output and lets you do your strength movement while your fresh.

Your next exercise should be moderate weights 6-10 reps or so. This will add volume to your workout session which will allow you to build a lot of muscle.

Your last exercise would be a isolation movement at higher reps (12-15)and low rest to get lactic acid buildup in the muscles which will increase GH production.[/quote]

I’ve actually done a workout like that which tibs gave me an out line to. the reps and sets came out the article he wrote himself. I want this to be as hypertrophy specific as it can be.

[quote]moofs wrote:
Hard Hank wrote:

Your last exercise would be a isolation movement at higher reps (12-15)and low rest to get lactic acid buildup in the muscles which will increase GH production.

I’ve actually done a workout like that which tibs gave me an out line to. the reps and sets came out the article he wrote himself. I want this to be as hypertrophy specific as it can be. [/quote]

Then eat enough to gain weight.

If you haven’t gained muscle/weight from your previous programs, then chances are it wasn’t the result of them not being hypertrophy specific (WS4SB is a hypertrophy specific program), but due to your lack of eating enough to build muscle.

“Lift weights to get stronger, Eat to get bigger”- Prof X. (still one of the simplest, yet straight to the point commentaries on building muscle ever said on this site)

[quote]moofs wrote:
Hard Hank wrote:

I’ve actually done a workout like that which tibs gave me an out line to. the reps and sets came out the article he wrote himself. I want this to be as hypertrophy specific as it can be. [/quote]

These tips are hypertrophy specific. That’s why I’m helping to critique your workout.

Now for your first day: Chest- you have A LOT of benching- did you know that benching doesn’t work for many of the people that devote their time to it?
The first movement can be with a barbell to allow you to move more weight.

I’d say the next movement which is incline- do with dumbbells for a better range of motion.

Ditch decline press this cycle and finish up with weighted dips. If you can’t dips weighted then you definitely shouldn’t be doing this workout (I’m not being a dick I’m just saying you should have a decent strength base).

Ez curls are fine but I’d say do straight bar curls the zottmans look good. Keep rest for compound movements and 60-90 secs and 30-45 secs for your isolation movements (curls). I’ll help out on the rest when I have more time.

[quote]Hard Hank wrote:
moofs wrote:
Hard Hank wrote:

I’ve actually done a workout like that which tibs gave me an out line to. the reps and sets came out the article he wrote himself. I want this to be as hypertrophy specific as it can be.

These tips are hypertrophy specific. That’s why I’m helping to critique your workout.

Now for your first day: Chest- you have A LOT of benching- did you know that benching doesn’t work for many of the people that devote their time to it?
The first movement can be with a barbell to allow you to move more weight.

I’d say the next movement which is incline- do with dumbbells for a better range of motion.

Ditch decline press this cycle and finish up with weighted dips. If you can’t dips weighted then you definitely shouldn’t be doing this workout (I’m not being a dick I’m just saying you should have a decent strength base).

Ez curls are fine but I’d say do straight bar curls the zottmans look good. Keep rest for compound movements and 60-90 secs and 30-45 secs for your isolation movements (curls). I’ll help out on the rest when I have more time.[/quote]

Thanks!, I really appreciate ur help. If you have any other suggestions I’d be more than grateful!

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
moofs wrote:
Hard Hank wrote:

Then eat enough to gain weight.

If you haven’t gained muscle/weight from your previous programs, then chances are it wasn’t the result of them not being hypertrophy specific (WS4SB is a hypertrophy specific program), but due to your lack of eating enough to build muscle.

“Lift weights to get stronger, Eat to get bigger”- Prof X. (still one of the simplest, yet straight to the point commentaries on building muscle ever said on this site)[/quote]

OP, you dont need anymore than this. I learned the hard way, but this statement is true. I use a simple, movement pattern based split, and I do ONE exercise for each of them. My only goal for them is to lift continually heavier weights with them.

Leg Day:
Back Squats 5 reps 4-6 sets. You could substitue front squats here if you like. As far as hack squat goes, I’m not a fan. It forces you to do less weight and can put excess strain on your lower back if not done properly.
Leg Press is good- 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps

If you can do lunges after your previous two exercises that’s fine but your quads may be pretty much dead;) I’d stick to romanian dead lifts (3-4 sets 6-8 reps) then leg curls 3 sets 8-12 reps.

Finish up with calf raises 3-4 sets 12-20 reps.

More critiquing to come!! :slight_smile:

Actually he was an Olympic Weightlifter :wink: big difference.

To the OP I can relate to your situation, I too was attempting a very hypertrophy specific training program and I did not respond to well (similar rep schemes you are using). I have to agree here with the aforementioned post from Hard Hank regarding the low reps for your primary ex. and increasing reps from the secondary to the isolation/auxiliary ex. Moving big weights on those primary’s to me is something I will not stray away from in the future because I grew from this template, but everyone is different. Im with Hard Hank on this one!!