Critique & Help Please

Just started eating closer to what I should be, thanks already goes out to you guys helped me realize I was not eating anything close to what I should… pls critique my meals for the day.

Also can anyone shed some light on an exercise program to use… I have been reading alot on here, school has taken a seat on the bench, and I read about HIT program and it seems convincing to some but not others and I read some DAWG school stuff, I am looking to gain 15 pounds by Feb 10. Any help on a program would be great… As for my diet…

6 egg whites
2 Pieces of whole wheat toast w peanutbutten

1 Large bagel w cream cheese

2 Cups of whole wheat pasta w tomato sauce

1 cup yogurt
1 cup Chicken noodle soup (ok kinda weak I know)

8 oz steak
1 litre of 2% Milk throughout the day

McDonalds BigMac Supersized Meal…

Pls let me have it, be harsh be mean LET ME LEARN!!! Help on program and nutrition would be great!!
Got my hands on Surge for workout days too.
Thanks everyone.

Skinny I will try and throw a lil help out here before I have to run. So these might be breif and WILL require you to do some reading/educating yourself.

K

I will start with your diet:

6 egg whites
2 Pieces of whole wheat toast w peanutbutten

***** This is OK not my #1 choice but all right. You might condider kicking the bread out of this one add the yolks bak in and have the PB on some celery or something.

1 Large bagel w cream cheese
***** This sucks not only are bagels pretty darn crappy but unless you are eating a whole damn tub of cream cheese you are hardly getting any protein here. I like Fat free cream cheese and use it myself an awefull lot but not as a stand alone protein source.

2 Cups of whole wheat pasta w tomato sauce
****UM plenty of cabrs and some ground up veggies in the form of sauce but where is the LEAN protein source. Also your diet is lacking vegies BIG TIME.

1 cup yogurt
1 cup Chicken noodle soup (ok kinda weak I know)
****UM not the best but a good snack all the same. Depending on the chicken noodle soup you are using. If it is the run of the mills Campbells crap v=never mind. If it is loaded with big chucks of meat and veggies then OK.

8 oz steak
1 litre of 2% Milk throughout the day
*****VEGETABLES. write this word on your forehead if you have to. You really need some.

McDonalds BigMac Supersized Meal…
**** this is worthless and not even really worth mention. I am not saying dont ever have one of these. it should not be part of a well planned routine though. Have your value meal as a cheat/gift to yourself ONCE a week. Other than that replace this with a quality meal with good protein, fats and VEGETABLES.

OK that is my thoughts on that. Here is some reading that will help you.

7 Habit
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

Foods That Make You Look Good Nekid
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460638
The Carbohydrate Roundtable, Part 1&2
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461157
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459360

Fat Roundtable I&II
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461947
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461093

Massive Eating
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460331
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460327

T Dawg 2

Read these and anything else you can find on diet by any of the contributors here. Any education is good education.

By the way we need more info. For instance what are your goals for this diet and training. Anything you can give us will help.

As for training. Well any of the programs by the contributors here all habe there place. Depends really on your training age. If you are just begining then yes read the dog school, check out big boy basics, and pick a program based oin the BIG compound movements to build a solid base. Bench, sqaut. deads, chins. dips, etc… These will give you the most bang for the buck.

Other than that I really dont have much else to say without knowing more about you, your experience and your goals.

So read up. Come on back educated further and with a pile of info. to spill on us and I am sure more ppl will chime in.

Hope this helped
Phill

Dude, You need to do some SERIOUS reading. I would love to help you out but I don’t even know where to start. Your “diet” is horrible. You need more protein (complete protein that is) BIG TIME.

Start reading John Berardi’s Articles and you’ll learn plenty. Then if you have any question about his articles just ask here and I’ll help you out buddy.

Tampa T has a basic, fundamental and easy approach that she uses…(maybe she will be able to post later…)

I DO know that she’ll need your:

Weight

BF%

As has been stated, goals are always helpful. Also, as Phil has stated, you need to READ, READ, READ!

I’m curious, skinny…how did you go about choosing your diet…and what made you feel that it was a good diet?

(I’m always curious about the diets people post!)

Anyway…TT has some great advice!

Mufasa

Thanks so far guys…

A little more background info:
I am 21.
I’m 6’4
165 lbs
bf% ???
I have been lifting on and off but nothing serious or for any extended period of time.
My Goals… to gain a pound a week until Feb 10.

Is this closer to what I should be eating??

1. Oatmeal mixed with whey protein
    1 banana

2. 6 eggs
    Vegetables! possibly w peanut butter
    Cheese

3. Post work out Surge

4. 2 Cups of whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce 1 chicken breast and 1 cup of veggies

5. 8 oz steak
    Salad with Olive Oil
    veggies - brocolli

6. Canned Chicken or Tuna sandwhich on 2 pieces of whole wheat bread and veggies

7. Shake with Flax oil

Hey, I’m back at you once again.

All in all the food choices are much better.

I do still have a few ?'s for you. Do you have any idea of how many k/cals you are currently ingesting along with any of the amounts of Macros. Protein, fat, carbs. This will be a HUGE help to us and you.

As far as Mufasa stated yes TT has a very solid approach. It basically follows the T-Dawg 2 guideline which you could figure yourself or if you must let us figure.

You would shoot for( since we dont know your BF, I am guessing LOW from the heigh to weight ratio)

1.5 g protein per lb of bodyweight(BW)
= 247g = 990 k/cals
.4-.6g fat per lb bw Lets say .5g
= 83g = 747 k/cals

OK now the tough part. Carbs, The T-dawg calls for 75g on non training daysd and 100 on training days if I am not mistaken but this is VERY adjustable for your goals. The main thing is the timing of your carbs. around your workouts and early in the day on non training days.

I personally ( all this diet and training is VERY individaul and you must find what works for YOU) find that on a bulk I react best to around 2g of carbs per lb of BW. So for you that would be.
= 330g = 1320 k/cals.

So your total with these simple little equations would be.
= 3057 K/cals we could say 3000, or 3100. tough to say without an idea of what you are tkaing in now and/or how it is working. Are you gaining weight, maintaining or losing. Either way this would be a good starting point for you and then adjust as needed.

You should be shooting for an excess of around 500 k/cals a day.

So you could give this a two week run and see what happens. If you are gaining just right stay there. If not add or subtract as needed for the desired result. The change should mainly come in adjusting your carbs up or down, but some slight changes in fat intake could take place as well if a LARGE increase or decrease is needed.

Or simply adjust both of the to equal the total change for instance lets say this has you maintaining weight. So we need to up your intake 500 k/cals more. So that would be 250 from each carb and fats or an increase of 28g of fat roughly, and 62g of carbs.

OK I hope this makes some sense to you. Also have you read the articles yet. Do you have an idea of you BMR. What you need to ingest to maintain weight.

This will be tough to know without having been consistant with training.

OK to training. I will say with what you have supplied for info. that if you take my first suggestion and simply pick a solid program based on COMPOUND movements nailing the form and getting on a set routine you will see awesome gains. I would say you still can reep benefit from Newbie gains having never been consistant and probably never with a quality program.

OK. I gotta stop here I guess and shoot it back to you for more /'s / info.

Oh and if you do come back with more ?'s and such it may be a few days till I get back at you I am leaving this afternoon for the weekend and wont return till monday. Hopefully TT and others will continue to chime in for you. Each with there own little twist on what works for them.

A big help once again will be your current k/cal intake along with the ratios you seem to best react to. For instance 40P/30C/30F, or what ever it may be.

Hope this helps,

Phill

***** comments below.****

A little more background info:
I am 21.
I’m 6’4
165 lbs
bf% ???
I have been lifting on and off but nothing serious or for any extended period of time.
My Goals… to gain a pound a week until Feb 10.

Is this closer to what I should be eating??

1. Oatmeal mixed with whey protein
    1 banana

**** Good, vary you fruit choices and dont neglect berries.

1. 6 eggs
    Vegetables! possibly w peanut butter
    Cheese

***** Looks much better

1. Post work out Surge

**** No better choice here

1. 2 Cups of whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce 1 chicken breast and 1 cup of veggies

*****MORE VEGGIES a cup aint much. Sorry I just gotta stress this. Also MORE FRUIT and berries, they are packed with lots of crucial nutrients as well as carbs and k/cals.

1. 8 oz steak
    Salad with Olive Oil
    veggies - brocolli

***** MUCH BETTER

1. Canned Chicken or Tuna sandwhich on 2 pieces of whole wheat bread and veggies

***** I would swap this with # 5 to get the carbs in closer to my w/o and the pro and fats closer to bed time.

1. Shake with Flax oil

***** Good you might consider using ground flax in the shake as well you get the fats and a nice dose of fiber in one.

Phil, THANKS!!! I am looking forward to hitting the gym and grocery store for the next couple of weeks to see how things work out. As for my current consumption, prior to this it has been nothing of a regularity, I couldnt have told you what I was taking in and or wasnt… I have a n appointment today with the doc maybe I will see if he can get my BF% while I am there…

Thanks again guys… I will give it a two week run and see how things go… my surge comes TODAY!

Skinny,

Let me give you a tip on the grocery store. Make sure to buy in bulk bro. You’ll save tons of money if you do so. Gaining mass could affect your income in a SERIOUS way. Costco, Sam’s choice, shit even wal-mart are good choice to go shopping. Good luck!