T Nation

Critique Clean and Jerk

Your technique on the clean looks fine, but doesn’t appear to challenge you. Movement may change quite a bit when you’re working in that range.

[quote]drewc64 wrote:
Your technique on the clean looks fine, but doesn’t appear to challenge you. Movement may change quite a bit when you’re working in that range.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, It often feels heavier and feels worse then it ends up looking but I’m more or less limited by what I can jerk. I’m slowly working my way to 135 lbs but I feel like I’ll be pressing the weight up in the jerk. I’ve only been oly lifting for 3 weeks too so I’m taking it slow making sure my technique is okay! I will continue increasing the weight though as you suggest :smiley:

Clean looks OK, your jerk is really high. Don’t JUMP off the ground, that’s bad news and means you can handle more weight anyway.

Explode the weight up using your legs and shoulders, but “change levels”. This means your head and chest should drop a few inches, catching the bar in a lower position. You’re exploding with a jump and its crashing down on your palms, which isn’t good (injuries and loss of balance when it slams down). Work on getting under the bar explosively rather than tossing it into the air, and you’ll probably notice you can do more weight than you think.

[quote]SJHunter86 wrote:
Clean looks OK, your jerk is really high. Don’t JUMP off the ground, that’s bad news and means you can handle more weight anyway.

Explode the weight up using your legs and shoulders, but “change levels”. This means your head and chest should drop a few inches, catching the bar in a lower position. You’re exploding with a jump and its crashing down on your palms, which isn’t good (injuries and loss of balance when it slams down). Work on getting under the bar explosively rather than tossing it into the air, and you’ll probably notice you can do more weight than you think.[/quote]

Noted will try sink more in jerk. Any comments on clean improvements tips thinks I could do??

When you clean, keep your shoulders over the bar and hips high, and chest up/back arched until its past your knees, THEN explode. Right now you’re getting real vertical from the floor up rather than staying over the bar. That could also help you get a little more weight up.

Shoulders over more at the start (eyes forward constantly, never down!), bend the back leg on the jerk. Nice speed though.

Just noticed you’ve been lifting 3 weeks! Very good considering. However, I strongly suggest doing tons of volume with broomstick/empty bar with perfect form, forget weight. It is very tempting to test yourself but it is also very easy to get into bad habits, which usually means short term you’ll make quick/good gains but longer term you’ll spend ages trying to fix technique and limiting gains.