T Nation

Critique Beginner Routine

• Squat/Deadlift
  • Bench press
  • Rows/chin up
  • Upright rows

All 4x6-10 except upright rows which is 4x8-12.

Squat twice and deadlift once every week. Workout 3x every week.

Every 3rd day is hypertrophy, all 3x8-12.

any opinion?

I assume that by beginner routine you mean that you are new to lifting? The only reason I ask is its pretty simple, but if you are just starting out basic is good.
Probably want to tighten up the rep ranges 4 sets of 6 vs 10 reps is a big difference.
Drop upright rows for something else, I assume that you are calling that your shoulder exercise? If so I would go with overhead press.

How many days a week are you doing this?
The every third day being a different rep range doesn’t make a practical difference and keeping the reps low while starting out allows more fresh reps and better practice.

[quote]Mdgray82 wrote:
I assume that by beginner routine you mean that you are new to lifting? The only reason I ask is its pretty simple, but if you are just starting out basic is good.
Probably want to tighten up the rep ranges 4 sets of 6 vs 10 reps is a big difference.
Drop upright rows for something else, I assume that you are calling that your shoulder exercise? If so I would go with overhead press.

The every third day being a different rep range doesn’t make a practical difference and keeping the reps low while starting out allows more fresh reps and better practice.[/quote]

Thanks.

I use upright rows for side delts. Does overhead press hit side delts well?

3x per week. Mon, wed, fri. I thought of using light weight in every 3rd day after lifting heavy.

[quote]tagan wrote:

[quote]Mdgray82 wrote:

The every third day being a different rep range doesn’t make a practical difference and keeping the reps low while starting out allows more fresh reps and better practice.[/quote]

Thanks.

I use upright rows for side delts. Does overhead press hit side delts well?

3x per week. Mon, wed, fri. I thought of using light weight in every 3rd day after lifting heavy.[/quote]

If you’re looking to isolate then I’d say lateral raises, but the reason I’d say overhead press is that upright rows increase risk for impingement. That’s why I would say keep it simple early and do the ohp.
What weights are you currently using? Assuming you are a beginner a light day every 3rd day isn’t really needed and the difference in ranges you are talking isn’t going to be a large practical difference.

Ok noted.

So

• Squat/Deadlift
  • Bench press
  • Rows/chin up
  • Overhead press

All 4x6-10

How?

Squat: 80kg
Bench press: 65kg
Deadlift: 90kg
Rows: 90kg
Overhead press: 42.5kg

All 8 reps.

[quote]tagan wrote:
Ok noted.

So

• Squat/Deadlift
  • Bench press
  • Rows/chin up
  • Overhead press

All 4x6-10

How?

Squat: 80kg
Bench press: 65kg
Deadlift: 90kg
Rows: 90kg
Overhead press: 42.5kg

All 8 reps.[/quote]

Good, now just do it consistently for a while… Also probably want to add I’m some ab work few sets of planks sit-ups or leg raises. I like the keep it simple approach.

Ok thanks!

you might want to alternate bench and OHP every other workout to not hit the shoulders/chest so hard.

Keep the DL 7 or under.