Critique 2 Day Grey Pube Routine

I usually use a 3 day 5/3/1 routine but I’ve been feeling pretty beat up and getting nagging injuries. I’m 52 years old and I’m thinking of switching to a 2 day routine. My goals are simple; stick to 5/3/1 template for a whole year without any setbacks, and condition 2-3 days a week.

My TMs are:
Press >200 lbs
Bench >300 lbs
Squat >400 lbs
Deadlift >450 lbs

My proposed plan:

Monday
Bench Press 5/3/1 sets and reps
Bench Press FSL 3 sets x 8 reps
1 Arm DB Rows 3 sets x 8-12+ reps
DB Rear Laterals 3 sets x 8-12+ reps
DB Hammer Curls 3 sets x 8-12+ reps

Tuesday
Hi-Lo Prowler Push 10 laps x 40 yards

Wednesday
Agile 8 drills and stretching

Thursday
Box Squats 5/3/1 sets and reps
Box Squats FSL 3 sets x 8 reps
Abdominal circuit; sit-ups, twists, and planks

Friday
Push-ups 2 sets x 20 reps
Fat Man Pull-ups 2 sets x 20 reps
DB Shoulder Press 2 sets x 20 reps
Incline DB Curls 2 sets x 20 reps

Saturday
Hi-Lo Prowler Push 10 laps x 40 yards

Sunday
Agile 8 drills and stretching

The next week would be the same except I’d be using Military Press and Trap Bar Deadlift. I’m pretty sold on the idea but I’m a little concerned with only hitting the main lifts once every two weeks. See any problems with my plan?

Looks solid to me us old guys have to train a little different some times,but still OLD GUYS RULE !!!

It also looks good to me but…
If I was only training two days per week which I have in the past, I would do a full body template.
Example

Squat 5/3/1
Bench 5/3/1
Chins
1-2 more assistance

DL 5/3/1
Press 5/3/1
DB Rows
1-2 more assistance

Maybe add in a couple of FSL sets if you are feeling good. I would also not bother with the Friday workout. In my opinion it wouldn’t really add much to your overall progress with 5/3/1. Better off having a rest day after hitting the weights hard on the two days per week.

My Friday workout is something I like to do for several reasons. First, I think of it as an easy upper body “Conditioning/GPP” day. It’s pretty low intensity and just gets the blood flowing into the muscles. Perhaps it even aids in recovery. Second, it’s a workout that I do with my son as he prepares for Freshman Football (he’s doing WS4SB with 5/3/1 5s Progression for Bench and Squat). It’s a lot of fun to do that stuff together.

Lastly, I figured the lower body was getting hit with a heavy day of lifting and two days of Prowler, why not add a little extra for the upper body that only gets hit once a week with heavy lifting. I thought it might add balance. However, I’m open to opinions and I may try to drop it later to see how it impacts the way I feel.

I’ve settled on a two day routine and started it this week. Basically I’m using the Beyond 1.1 from this site, but only using it twice a week. I like it! Reminds me of a John Christy routine.

Monday (week 1):
Box Squat - 5/3/1
Bench Press - 5x5 @ 75%
Pull-ups - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Sit-ups - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Push-down - 3 sets x 8-12 reps

Thursday (week 1):
Trap Bar Deadlift - 5/3/1
Shoulder Press - 5x5 @ 75%
DB Hammer Curls - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Back Extensions - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
DB Rear Laterals - 3 sets x 8-12 reps

Monday (week 2):
Box Squat - 5x5 @ 75%
Bench Press - 5/3/1 sets/reps
Pull-ups - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Sit-ups - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Push-down - 3 sets x 8-12 reps

Thursday (week 2):
Trap Bar Deadlift - 5x3 @ 75%
Shoulder Press - 5/3/1 sets/reps
DB Hammer Curls - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Back Extensions - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
DB Rear Laterals - 3 sets x 8-12 reps

I will also be doing two days of Prowler Walks and lots of Rolling and Stretching. I’m looking forward to a full year of uninterrupted progress.

I am 56 currently doing the following and continue to make gains:

Monday
Squat 5/3/1 FSL 3x5
Bench 5/3/1 FSL 3x5
Chins 5x10
Seated Triceps Press 3x10
Hanging Leg Raise 3x10-15

Thursday
Dead Lift 5/3/1 SLDL 3x5
Press 5/3/1 FSL 3x5
BB Rows 5x10
Barbell Curl 3x10

Conditioning and Flexibility/Mobility is done on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday

[quote]Jeff H wrote:

Monday
Squat 5/3/1 FSL 3x5
Bench 5/3/1 FSL 3x5
Chins 5x10

Thursday
Dead Lift 5/3/1 SLDL 3x5
Press 5/3/1 FSL 3x5
BB Rows 5x10
Barbell Curl 3x10

Conditioning and Flexibility/Mobility is done on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday [/quote]

Jeff - just curious: How long have you been doing the above and what sort of progress have you seen?

I am still young - 47:) For what it’s worth, you guys probably know that none of this shit conforms to logic. Sometimes you have to try it. For me, those examples would kill me. It’s too much in one workout. And then also adding prowler work? Furthermore, the whole bench after squat thing has never served me well. The second lift always suffers - at least for me.

If you have the time and resources, more frequent but less in each workout has worked wonders for me for a long time with 5-3-1 and continues to do so. For instance, this week:

M - Squat w/ 531 (I generally implement some form of svr programming // Safety Bar Squat @ 3x5// abs - 45 minutes including warm-up and mobility
T - MP w/ 5/3/1 SVR// dips with added weight// Lats + sled on the way home from gym in an abandoned lot
W - Hill sprints// no weights
T - OFF
Fri - DL w/ 5/3/1 SVR// SSB good mornings// abs + weighted vest 30 minute walk
Sat - BP w/ 5/3/1 SVR// camber bar presses 3x5// Tate presses
Sun - OFF

Basically it’s the Triumverate with SVR programming and conditioning - works like a charm
Also, do not be afraid to scrap the conventional 7 day week confines in favor of implementing a 10 day “lifting” week.
7 days is just an arbitrary number used for convenience. But recovery and the human body does not give two shits about calendars.
Funny thing too - doing the 3 work weeks of the 5-3-1 cycle over 30 days instead of 21, I never need the d-load.
Good Luck

“I’m pretty sold on the idea but I’m a little concerned with only hitting the main lifts once every two weeks. See any problems with my plan?”

The only problem, and it is a huge problem, is your concern over your own plan. At some point, you will have to believe in what you have drawn up. And you will have to believe it will work. “Hitting the main lifts once every two weeks” is a HUGE no-no during this month’s current trend in the fitness world. Don’t worry - these blowhards find their way to champion something else. All you have to do is relax and let their Facebook news feed refresh and they’ll hop on whatever is making them scared/excited.

Can it work? Yes.
Has it worked? Yes.

Remember that there are certain anchors that make up a strength training program. These are some absolutes that seem to make up 99.999% of successful programs. After that, you need to remove the dogma that plagues most people and gets them stuck in their boxes, afraid to peak their heads out.

If this is what you are doing, make it work. Funny how successful people seem to do that in whatever situation they are in. Others know too well how to play the victim.

[quote]FeelinMinnesota wrote:

[quote]Jeff H wrote:

Monday
Squat 5/3/1 FSL 3x5
Bench 5/3/1 FSL 3x5
Chins 5x10

Thursday
Dead Lift 5/3/1 SLDL 3x5
Press 5/3/1 FSL 3x5
BB Rows 5x10
Barbell Curl 3x10

Conditioning and Flexibility/Mobility is done on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday [/quote]

Jeff - just curious: How long have you been doing the above and what sort of progress have you seen? [/quote]

I just finished my 4th cycle this week and have increased weight every cycle.

Squat 140 > 180
Dead Lift 185 > 225
Bench 120 > 140
Press 80 > 100

It is working for me.