T Nation

Criticize My Routine

Monday: Dumbbell Shoulder Press, 3 sets 8-12 rep range
Hammer Curls, 2 sets 8-12 rep range
Close Grip Bench, 3 sets 8-12 rep range
Upright Barbell Rows, 4 sets 8-12 rep range
Barbell Curl, 2 sets 6-10 rep range
Tricep Cable pulldown(with the rope where you pull out at the bottom) 2 sets 6-10 rep range
Dumbbell Extension behind head seated(lol) 2 sets 6-10 rep range
Cardio, 10 min. Stat. bike, then 5-10 min. jump rope or jumping on and over boxes

Tuesday: Pull-ups and Chin-ups, 2 sets each until failure each time
Calf Raises sitting, 4 sets 8-12 rep range
I’m going to start deadlifts soon will do 4 sets
Angled Back Machine(the one where you put your chest on the pad and pull the weight toward you) 3 sets 6-12 rep range
Latt Machine, 3 sets 6-12 rep range
Cardio, 10 minute stat. bike, then 5-10 min. jump rope or boxs (jump on them forward sideways etc.)

Wednesday: Bench Press, 4 sets 4-10 rep range
Barbell Shrugs, 4 sets 6-12 rep range
Incline dumbbell press, 3 sets 6-12 rep range
Dumbbell Shrugs, 3 sets 6-10 rep range
Dips Weighted, 4 sets until failure everytime

Thursday: Squatts, 4 sets 4-10 rep range (still working on better form, lower back feeling it…)
Dumbbell Lunges, 22 1/2 for 1 set, and 25lb. for another
Quad Extension Machine, 3 sets 8-12 rep range
Hamstring Extension Machine, 3 sets 8-12 rep range
Calf raises seated, 4 sets 6-10 rep range
Leg Press, 3 sets 4-8 rep range

Friday: Dumbbell Shoulder Press, 3 sets 6-10 rep range
E-Z bar preacher curls, 2 sets 6-10 rep range
Close Grip Bench, 3 sets 6-10 rep range
Dumbbell Flys for shoulders, side 2 sets, forward 2 sets 6-10 rep range
Dumbbell Curls, 2 sets 4-8 rep range
Skull crushers 3 sets, 6-10 rep range

Saturday: Bench Press, 3 sets 8-12 rep range
Squat, 3 sets 8-12 rep range
Dumbbell Shrugs, 3 sets 8-12 rep range
Cardio, 10 min. stat. bike. then 5-10min. jump rope, etc.

Sunday: Off

I’m 16, 5 foot 8, 160lbs. I’ve noticed pretty decent gains but would like advice from more experienced people. As you can see I bench and squat twice a week but on Saturday I go light. Same with arms and shoulders, I go light on monday and heavier on Friday. I eat 2,500-3,000 calories a day. I drink Whey protein after the workouts. I think that’s about it…

You could throw in some remedial, functional spelling lessons into the routine so you can spell criticize right.

instead of me going through and telling you why i think its disorganized. why dont you tell me the rationale behind how you have it organized. why did you put those specific exercises, in that order, on those days?

[quote]postholedigger wrote:
You could throw in some remedial, functional spelling lessons into the routine so you can spell criticize right.[/quote]

I fixed it, you happy there Mrs. Jones my 8th grade English teacher?
And btw, criticize is the americanized version of criticise, just like we spell tire instead tyre, or we spell color, not colour. Get it buddy?

[quote]actionboy wrote:
instead of me going through and telling you why i think its disorganized. why dont you tell me the rationale behind how you have it organized. why did you put those specific exercises, in that order, on those days?[/quote]

I have a light and heavy day because I thought that would act as “muscle confusion” or whatever some people preach. I also did that with benching and squatting, I go light weight on Saturday. When I say 6-10 or 8-12 rep range I mean that I change it up often so, one week I’ll do 12-10-8 then 10-10-8 and so on…

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:
instead of me going through and telling you why i think its disorganized. why dont you tell me the rationale behind how you have it organized. why did you put those specific exercises, in that order, on those days?[/quote]
I have a light and heavy day because I thought that would act as “muscle confusion” or whatever some people preach. I also did that with benching and squatting, I go light weight on Saturday. When I say 6-10 or 8-12 rep range I mean that I change it up often so, one week I’ll do 12-10-8 then 10-10-8 and so on… [/quote]

i think you are over thinking things. this is what i would call a kitchen sink routine, as in everything but…

focus on getting stronger on the main lifts and do some accessory work to facilitate strength in those lifts. work in the moderate rep ranges and eat enough to grow. its really that simple. forget this muscle confusion shit.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:
I have a light and heavy day because I thought that would act as “muscle confusion” or whatever some people preach. I also did that with benching and squatting, I go light weight on Saturday. When I say 6-10 or 8-12 rep range I mean that I change it up often so, one week I’ll do 12-10-8 then 10-10-8 and so on… [/quote]

i think you are over thinking things. this is what i would call a kitchen sink routine, as in everything but…

focus on getting stronger on the main lifts and do some accessory work to facilitate strength in those lifts. work in the moderate rep ranges and eat enough to grow. its really that simple. forget this muscle confusion shit. [/quote]

Yeah, thanks man. So, basically have a chest day, leg day, back day, bis tris day, then shoulders maybe on what… chest day?

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

focus on getting stronger on the main lifts and do some accessory work to facilitate strength in those lifts. work in the moderate rep ranges and eat enough to grow. its really that simple. forget this muscle confusion shit. [/quote]
Yeah, thanks man. So, basically have a chest day, leg day, back day, bis tris day, then shoulders maybe on what… chest day?[/quote]

id give them each their own day if thats the way you want to do it. your other option is a 3 day split which has worked well for a lot of people around here.

day 1 - chest/arms (2 chest, 1 bi and 1 tri)
day 2 - legs
day 3 - off
day 4 - shoulders and back (in that order)
day 5 - off
day 6 - start the cycle again

basically, you are doing less work per session but more work per week. for instance, if you do a traditional bodypart split your chest might get 3 exercises every 7 days. this split your chest gets hit with 4 exercises every 5 days or so and because you are splitting up the work you are fresher on your exercises each day instead of doing your 3rd and 4th exercises already fatigued from the earlier work.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

Yeah, thanks man. So, basically have a chest day, leg day, back day, bis tris day, then shoulders maybe on what… chest day?[/quote]

id give them each their own day if thats the way you want to do it. your other option is a 3 day split which has worked well for a lot of people around here.

day 2 - legs
day 3 - off
day 5 - off

basically, you are doing less work per session but more work per week. for instance, if you do a traditional bodypart split your chest might get 3 exercises every 7 days. this split your chest gets hit with 4 exercises every 5 days or so and because you are splitting up the work you are fresher on your exercises each day instead of doing your 3rd and 4th exercises already fatigued from the earlier work.[/quote]

I’m going for that 3 day split, eating more 3500+ good calories, and work on the compound exercises. Thanks for your time!

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

day 2 - legs
day 3 - off
day 5 - off

basically, you are doing less work per session but more work per week. for instance, if you do a traditional bodypart split your chest might get 3 exercises every 7 days. this split your chest gets hit with 4 exercises every 5 days or so and because you are splitting up the work you are fresher on your exercises each day instead of doing your 3rd and 4th exercises already fatigued from the earlier work.[/quote]
I’m going for that 3 day split, eating more 3500+ good calories, and work on the compound exercises. Thanks for your time![/quote]

anytime, big guy.

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

You could throw in some remedial, functional spelling lessons into the routine so you can spell criticize right.[/quote]

And btw, criticize is the americanized version of criticise, just like we spell tire instead tyre, or we spell color, not colour. Get it buddy?[/quote]

So, how selectively do you adopt British spelling?
Now write “I will not spell the way of the British tyrants” 100 times on the black board.

I kid. I kid 4 PT 6, with love.

YOU DAMNED COLONIALS! REPEAT AFTER ME - TIRE = TO TIRE OUT, TYRE = CAR TYRE. Now eat you fucking crumpets before i have you shot for treason against the crown.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
YOU DAMNED COLONIALS! REPEAT AFTER ME - TIRE = TO TIRE OUT, TYRE = CAR TYRE. Now eat you fucking crumpets before i have you shot for treason against the crown.[/quote]
Haha! That’s good shit. Us damned colonials. :slight_smile:

[quote]4 PT 6 wrote:

And btw, criticize is the americanized version of criticise, just like we spell tire instead tyre, or we spell color, not colour. Get it buddy?[/quote]

So, how selectively do you adopt British spelling?
Now write “I will not spell the way of the British tyrants” 100 times on the black board.

I kid. I kid 4 PT 6, with love. [/quote]
Lol, it’s all good. Friendly criticism.