Criticism of Registered Dietitians

Dude, you really care waaaayyyy too much about what we think of you (or chosen profession).

Get over yourself, and LIVE.

Devil be damned if we don’t like it, right?

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Lexie - Thanks for citing additional sources to prove my point.

Professor X wrote:
Some of the BS that pops immediately to mind was, “No one should need more protein than 10% of total daily intake”. There was quite a bit more as sitting in her class involved me biting my lip on ba daily basis, but that was one gem I will never forget. Also, yes, it is even more hilarious when the person giving you this wonderful info could be classified as “obese” and thinks, “those bodybuilders will have kidney problems”. I fail to see how my life is missing something by NOT giving a damn about what skilled nutritionists think. In fact, could you even point out how my life is lacking without forcing me to giggle?

I admit my knowledge of what a registered dietician is not vast, but I just ran a quick Google search to see what it is that RDs actually do. As I understand the role of a dietician, as opposed to a nutritionist or someone into the science of nutrition such as Drs. Berardi or Lowery, their main function is to plan meals for institutions. Economic factors play into this. So, while a John Berardi will help you design the optimal for sports performance, fat loss, whatever, a registered dietician’s main concern is how to feed a group of nursing home residents/prisoners/hospital patients/other institutionalized persons at the lowest cost possible while making sure these persons get the minimum amount of nutrition so they don’t suffer from malnutrition. That’s probably why dieticians think that protein should only compose 10% of total intake. Protein sources are pretty expensive compared to most carb sources, so minimizing this macronutrient will help lower food costs. Ever eat hospital food? They give you lots of carbs, but a teeny piece of meat.

Looking at acceptable degrees in order to be able to sit for the RD exam, food service management was listed as one of them. Sounds like the lunch lady who turned in her hair net and moved up to management. It doesn’t sound like the type of person that you would hire to design a plan for optimum sports performance/athletic goals and effective, permanent fat loss.

This is why we criticize dieticians.[/quote]

To be an RD here, you must do 4 years BSc degree. So you need any old degree and then you do this RD Exam is that right in US ?

Oh crap, now I can’t remember which my mother actually took.

[quote]djoh615893 wrote:
Well, Mr. Dietary Salvation, go save America from it’s dietary travesties with your newfound expertise. If you are worth your clout, you’ll go out and do some real good shit for some good people. Or maybe you’ll be the guy making sure kids get veggies with their bologne sandwiches at some piece of shit juvenile detention facility.

Every dietition I’ve been made to go to isn’t worth the fucking fat around her tubby thighs and hips. The last one was a skinny piece of shit vegetarian who tried telling me that I only need 20 grams of protein to maintain a fit body. SOund right for a guy who was judged by his neck to waist ratio and not his ability to run 2 mi. in 13 minutes?

See most dieticians ARE bullshit. As always, there will be exceptions to every norm. Stop complaining just because there are many who fuck it up for the few. Whiner![/quote]
Thank you for your kind words.

I thought your name looked familiar, now I know - you’re the same dude who always criticizes Chad Waterbury’s programs as being “too complicated.” Hmmm, seems you can dish out the criticism, but when it comes to taking it, you get all whiny and defensive.

Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.[/quote]

Who said I can’t take it. Thank you for your assumptions.

[quote]stiggg wrote:
What fuckin right does a dietician have to think they know about food science because it was a module in their course ?

That’s like me spending a few hours watching the new yankee workshop and thinking I could now make all my own furniture.[/quote]

What RD said they were an expert in food science? I never had a module or rotation in food science. I had a class on it.

[quote]vroom wrote:
BradleyGrunner wrote:
Thin skin? Gee, I really wonder if people even read posts and see where the reader is coming from. Also, what is meant by a school-boy rant. And yes, I do know about the real world. Some people, or in fact a lot of people are not too friendly. I have gotten tons of criticism throughout my entire life, mostly due to my fitness and powerlifting hobby and my healthy lifestyle (ie: not a drinker, party maniac, or over spontaneous or wreckless). Not to disclose personal information too much, but I also come from a hostile background. So again, why don’t you watch your negative criticism.

Dude, nobody gives a shit about your problems or the fact you don’t want to hear about criticism of your chosen profession.

I too have a profession. You won’t see me pulling out my educational Internet penis to declare to everybody how hard I fucking had to work at my career because some people decide to insult the losers that also work in my field.

There are more losers than capable and conscientious people in most fields, including yours.

Now, don’t you have some terribly complex textbook you have to read or something so you can save the world?

Again, on a personal note, my mother learned a newfound respect for my brother and I, as she learned what was involved in a university degree.

Surprise, surprise, it’s not all partying and screwing the cheerleaders.[/quote]

Thanks for not seeing my point in the first place or at least completely overlooking my point.

Professor X wrote:
Some of the BS that pops immediately to mind was, “No one should need more protein than 10% of total daily intake”. There was quite a bit more as sitting in her class involved me biting my lip on ba daily basis, but that was one gem I will never forget. Also, yes, it is even more hilarious when the person giving you this wonderful info could be classified as “obese” and thinks, “those bodybuilders will have kidney problems”. I fail to see how my life is missing something by NOT giving a damn about what skilled nutritionists think. In fact, could you even point out how my life is lacking without forcing me to giggle?

I admit my knowledge of what a registered dietician is not vast, but I just ran a quick Google search to see what it is that RDs actually do. As I understand the role of a dietician, as opposed to a nutritionist or someone into the science of nutrition such as Drs. Berardi or Lowery, their main function is to plan meals for institutions. Economic factors play into this. So, while a John Berardi will help you design the optimal for sports performance, fat loss, whatever, a registered dietician’s main concern is how to feed a group of nursing home residents/prisoners/hospital patients/other institutionalized persons at the lowest cost possible while making sure these persons get the minimum amount of nutrition so they don’t suffer from malnutrition. That’s probably why dieticians think that protein should only compose 10% of total intake. Protein sources are pretty expensive compared to most carb sources, so minimizing this macronutrient will help lower food costs. Ever eat hospital food? They give you lots of carbs, but a teeny piece of meat.

Looking at acceptable degrees in order to be able to sit for the RD exam, food service management was listed as one of them. Sounds like the lunch lady who turned in her hair net and moved up to management. It doesn’t sound like the type of person that you would hire to design a plan for optimum sports performance/athletic goals and effective, permanent fat loss.

This is why we criticize dieticians.[/quote]

I am truly glad that my field offers a much wider variety of career options that simply planning meals for institutions. If thats all that was in it, I surely would have picked up. If an RD were to work for Novartis or Ross or the CDC they would not be doing ANY meal planning! Also, as asked before, why would you criticize someone for something they are not trained in.

Most dietitians are not involved sports dietetics so why should they be criticized for it? The ones that DID become involved, as stated before, RDs such as Chris Mohr, Jeff Volek, Colette Nelson, Eileen Bonci, Douglas Kalman, and Thomas Incledon, some of whom are contributors to this site, do a fairly good job.

Oh, and that lady with the hair net in the foodservice department is just so stupid. As stated before, why don’t you follow someone around for a day in their career before you say how unskilled and unvaluable they are.

[quote]BradleyGrunner wrote:
dr stig wrote:
What fuckin right does a dietician have to think they know about food science because it was a module in their course ?

That’s like me spending a few hours watching the new yankee workshop and thinking I could now make all my own furniture.

What RD said they were an expert in food science? I never had a module or rotation in food science. I had a class on it. [/quote]

What did you learn ?

For

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BradleyGrunner wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Angelbutt wrote:
Exactly.

I don’t know how many times I’ve made similar points on these boards.

The field of nutrition is not a walk in the park, partly because it entails so many aspects of feeding and health. Sports nutrition is merely a drop in the bucket of nutrition information, and in my opinion, not even the most interesting.

We should really look beyond your own values when making value judgments.

Some of the most bullshit “info” I have been given came from a dietician with a Phd. She was also VERY overweight. I think, like many professional in the health field, if they have no exposure to exercise, weight lifting or the nutrition surrounding it from PERSONAL experience, you can’t expect them to know a thing about it.

Care to share what this BS info was and what area of nutrition it addressed? I agree with the rest of your post but it did just so happen that the healthcare professional who did give you such BS advice was an RD. Are you criticizing this person as an individual or RDs collectively, which I do see is common on this website.

Some of the BS that pops immediately to mind was, “No one should need more protein than 10% of total daily intake”. There was quite a bit more as sitting in her class involved me biting my lip on ba daily basis, but that was one gem I will never forget. Also, yes, it is even more hilarious when the person giving you this wonderful info could be classified as “obese” and thinks, “those bodybuilders will have kidney problems”. I fail to see how my life is missing something by NOT giving a damn about what skilled nutritionists think. In fact, could you even point out how my life is lacking without forcing me to giggle?[/quote]

I do not understand your question.

Brad…if you wanted a more reasoned discussion you should not have approached the delivery of your thread in such a ‘how dare they manner’. You go down the dog pen and kick the dogs and they’ll come after you and bite your ass.

[quote]dr stig wrote:
MikeTheBear wrote:

Professor X wrote:

This is why we criticize dieticians.

To be an RD here, you must do 4 years BSc degree. So you need any old degree and then you do this RD Exam is that right in US ?[/quote]

No, you must have completed a didactic program in dietetics, not any old degree.

Well, I guess with all the criticism and image of an RD being a fatass not knowing anything about sports nutrition and running around like a numb skull planning menu options at mimimal cost in institutions, RDs such as Colette Nelson and Lonnie Lowery are figments of my imagination.

[quote]vroom wrote:
BradleyGrunner wrote:
Thin skin? Gee, I really wonder if people even read posts and see where the reader is coming from. Also, what is meant by a school-boy rant. And yes, I do know about the real world. Some people, or in fact a lot of people are not too friendly. I have gotten tons of criticism throughout my entire life, mostly due to my fitness and powerlifting hobby and my healthy lifestyle (ie: not a drinker, party maniac, or over spontaneous or wreckless). Not to disclose personal information too much, but I also come from a hostile background. So again, why don’t you watch your negative criticism.

Dude, nobody gives a shit about your problems or the fact you don’t want to hear about criticism of your chosen profession.

I too have a profession. You won’t see me pulling out my educational Internet penis to declare to everybody how hard I fucking had to work at my career because some people decide to insult the losers that also work in my field.

There are more losers than capable and conscientious people in most fields, including yours.

Now, don’t you have some terribly complex textbook you have to read or something so you can save the world?

Again, on a personal note, my mother learned a newfound respect for my brother and I, as she learned what was involved in a university degree.

Surprise, surprise, it’s not all partying and screwing the cheerleaders.[/quote]

What “problems” was I speaking of? I said, without personal complaint or issue, that I come from a hostile background. Come to think of it, if I do mention this, I think I mention ir pretty lightly, over ONE sentence.

[quote]dr stig wrote:
Brad…if you wanted a more reasoned discussion you should not have approached the delivery of your thread in such a ‘how dare they manner’. You go down the dog pen and kick the dogs and they’ll come after you and bite your ass.[/quote]

I can have a reasonable discussion, which I was aiming for. I am not apologetic in my tone, as it truly was just a little sarcastic and not at all malicious or “whiny” as many VERY emotional people on here state. Oooo, I get a little sarcastic on here in my tone and I find it funny to see how such intense emotions come out. What did I say? The words smart alec. What did I do that was so confrontational? List what RDs actually do and what they are trained in. Did I offend anyone by AGREEING with them that most RDs are NOT involved in sports nutrition and do not want to be?

[quote]dr stig wrote:
Brad…if you wanted a more reasoned discussion you should not have approached the delivery of your thread in such a ‘how dare they manner’. You go down the dog pen and kick the dogs and they’ll come after you and bite your ass.[/quote]

Not to mention the reaction to the responses given. It’s like watching a car accident… where the driver, not content with his flaming wreck, decides to tip over a fuel can to speed things up.

Yeah, I know, but your point was overshadowed by the tone and volume of unnecessary material in your post…

In reference to your original post Bradders, I worked for several months with 3 different dieticians (one was also a MBChB which is a British Medical degree, and one guy was from Arkansas, US).

Psst, responding to every post is a losing game. :wink:

[quote]vroom wrote:
Psst, responding to every post is a losing game. ;)[/quote]

Yea but its a funny one! And he didn’t yet respond to my posts which I am waiting for still. Or, he saw the validity in my statements and just does not thank me for my insight.