Crime and Punishment

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]Sterneneisen wrote:
Wow, there’s must be a special place in hell for these kind of lawyers…

I can’t fathom what kind of human it takes to try to convince people that the punk “was convicted for 7 cents” when he beat an old man in order to rob him…
Really, this kind of lawyers should do the same time as the criminals they tried to “defend”.[/quote]

While I agree with your sentiment, I WANT THAT lawyer fighting for me. If I were in a situation (right or wrong) I want someone that’s going to fight as much as possible to get me the best outcome.[/quote]

For sure. Because there are plenty of prosecutors who feel like their job isnt being done right unless she seeks the harshest punishment after a trial conviction.

So… when did the human race lose grasp of the concept of justice?
(ok, maybe I should ask “when did it get a grasp of it”, too…)

Nah. I want an attorney with some common sense. I’ve been faced with that choice and my attorney came to me pre loaded with a plea bargain. The choice was “You are in fact guilty. Take the deal and do a few years probation, or put it in the hands of a jury and you are looking at years behind bars. I have the plea deal locked, but the jury is a crap shoot.”.

Part of being a good attorney is getting the best possible outcome for your client, but when innocence is not an option, it comes down to the deal. Prosecutors will usually cooperate, it is the client that can be difficult to persuade.

Fighting for not guilty when someone is flat out guilty is delusional.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Nah. I want an attorney with some common sense. I’ve been faced with that choice and my attorney came to me pre loaded with a plea bargain. The choice was “You are in fact guilty. Take the deal and do a few years probation, or put it in the hands of a jury and you are looking at years behind bars. I have the plea deal locked, but the jury is a crap shoot.”.

Part of being a good attorney is getting the best possible outcome for your client, but when innocence is not an option, it comes down to the deal. Prosecutors will usually cooperate, it is the client that can be difficult to persuade.

Fighting for not guilty when someone is flat out guilty is delusional.

[/quote]

I don’t know anything about the case other than what was posted in the story. So innocent - maybe he was. If he wasn’t, was it testamony from the old man or were there witnesses/camera. IDK. What I do know is that I want the best outcome for me (as you stated).