T Nation

Crest Vivid White & Whitening Rinse

Have any of you had any experience with these products (“Vivid White Night” and “Whitening rinse”)?

How do they compare to Crest Whitening Strips? I’ve tried the Strips and Aquafresh Tray in the past but they irritate my teeth (presumably because the peroxide content in the latter two products is higher) and produce patchy results because my teeth aren’t perfectly straight.

I’m hoping the whitening tooth paste and rinse will solve both of those issues.

The main ingredient in those whitening rinses is hydrogen peroxide.

I use straight up hydrogen peroxide, a big bottle is only a dollar, just swish it around your mouth for a minute before brushing only 3 times a week. If you use it too much you can really screw up your teeth.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
The main ingredient in those whitening rinses is hydrogen peroxide.

I use straight up hydrogen peroxide, a big bottle is only a dollar, just swish it around your mouth for a minute before brushing only 3 times a week. If you use it too much you can really screw up your teeth.[/quote]

Not recommended. There is a reason most over the counter products are dosed around 10-15% or less. He has already written that he is prone to tooth sensitivity.

The best bet would be a custom mouth tray made at your dentist’s office if your teeth are that out of alignment. The rinses and toothpastes are a lower concentration meaning any results to be seen will take much longer and require very regular use from you. If you are willing to be that diligent, then go that route.

You could just dilute the peroxide solution.

[quote]Birdman31 wrote:
You could just dilute the peroxide solution.[/quote]

I would hope this notion isn’t spreading. There is a reason some things need to be left to professionals. Bleaching someone’s teeth when cavities are present would be a mistake, something most of you would not be aware of unless you have x-ray vision.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Birdman31 wrote:
You could just dilute the peroxide solution.

I would hope this notion isn’t spreading. There is a reason some things need to be left to professionals. Bleaching someone’s teeth when cavities are present would be a mistake, something most of you would not be aware of unless you have x-ray vision.[/quote]

Wait, what?? You mean the battery acid I’ve been rinsing with at night isn’t good for my teeth? Shit… at least they’re white!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Not recommended. There is a reason most over the counter products are dosed around 10-15% or less. He has already written that he is prone to tooth sensitivity.
[/quote]

I was watching a program last night on the the history channel about the history of tooth care. They were talking about how in the 17th century European royalty started whiting their teeth with strait up bleach. While they had white teeth when they were young, their teeth would eventually turn black and rot when they were older.

so… perhaps the 10-15% stuff is a good idea.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I like to save a buck as much as the next cheap bastard, but I draw the line at health related products.

The custom tray sounds nice, but I’m thinking the peroxide solution will be even higher than OTC strips, but I may be wrong.

[quote]Sewerhooker wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys.

I like to save a buck as much as the next cheap bastard, but I draw the line at health related products.

The custom tray sounds nice, but I’m thinking the peroxide solution will be even higher than OTC strips, but I may be wrong.[/quote]

Go for a polish if you can afford one. Its worth it.

Sandpaper will whiten them too. Start with 150, work up to a 220 wet sand.

[quote]Sewerhooker wrote:
Have any of you had any experience with these products (“Vivid White Night” and “Whitening rinse”)?

[/quote]

How soon after your first post did beebuddy pm you askin’ if that was really you in your avatar and how he’d be happy to squirt your teeth with his own ‘special’ whitening paste and did he threaten to burn your house down when you told him you were a dood ? Just askin’.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Sewerhooker wrote:

How soon after your first post did beebuddy pm you askin’ if that was really you in your avatar and how he’d be happy to squirt your teeth with his own ‘special’ whitening paste[/quote]

Dude lol.