T Nation

Cressey/Robertson: Prone Scorpions

Hi guys,

Quick question on prone scorpions. Are they done fast or slow? As in, do I gun for distance (mine sucks right now) or concentrate on using the muscles to move it as far as possible?

Also, what’s the cutoff for the exercise? Do I stop if the opposite shoulder lifts off the floor?

Thanks, I posted this in another thread but got no hits.

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
Hi guys,

Quick question on prone scorpions. Are they done fast or slow? As in, do I gun for distance (mine sucks right now) or concentrate on using the muscles to move it as far as possible?[/quote]

Somewhere in the middle, but there’s a short pause at the end of ROM on each side.

A little shoulder lift is okay; just keep the hands on the ground and you’ll be in good shape.

what are prone scorpions? I can’t find any hits on the search page.

[quote]LittleBigMuscles wrote:
what are prone scorpions? I can’t find any hits on the search page.[/quote]

Check out the “Get Your Butt in Gear” series.

Thanks for the response.

Link to article (Get Your Butt In Gear II) is here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=497495

This pic (which I hope goes through) was lifted from the Westside for Skinny Bastards II article (DeFranco). I assume that it shows great ROM. Or is it average?

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
Thanks for the response.

Link to article (Get Your Butt In Gear II) is here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=497495

This pic (which I hope goes through) was lifted from the Westside for Skinny Bastards II article (DeFranco). I assume that it shows great ROM. Or is it average?

[/quote]

It’s just ok, hardly great. Someone who is great at that movement can put their foot over their shoulder with a little bit of opposite shoulder lift.

Average is probably somewhat less that the picture.

[quote]seanc wrote:
It’s just ok, hardly great. Someone who is great at that movement can put their foot over their shoulder with a little bit of opposite shoulder lift.

Average is probably somewhat less that the picture.
[/quote]

Blerk! Then I’ve got a LOT of work to do.

That photo would be good for your general fitness crowd and average for better athletes.