Cressey/Roberston,Couple Questions

To everyone else, don’t reply to this, it’s not the offical thread. I have to get my questions in early because I’m not on the Prime Time Time Zone.

The Questions:

1. Mike - the PVC roller (again!) - why PVC? Curiosity only.

2. Since I don’t yet have my “Heal That Hunchback” PVC super-rolling-mega-apparatus, I used a wooden roller (those twist bars they always have) at the gym last night on a situp mat, to see what would happen. Rolling my back down it felt strange but good. Today I’ve got nothing but knots in my back, especially behind the left shoulder blade. The shoulder blade feels tighter, as does my neck. The spine itself feels looser. Is this normal? I’ve a feeling it will pass but I wanted to confirm I didn’t do anything dumb. For the record, nothing popped or clicked during the rolling.

3. Eric & Mike - was doing light deadlifts last night to check my form and depth. I’m rounding too much at the bottom. When I dropped the bar completely just to test for depth and form, I noticed I lose the arch about 5" before I get to grip level. I’ll continue to stretch and work on it. However, what do you recommend I do to get this last bit of range? Should I

(a) continue to deadlift working on depth?
(b) switch to another exercise (RDL, good morning, SLDL) to increase depth?
(c) do rack pulls or pull off blocks?

If this is addressed somewhere else, an RTFM will do here.

Thanks guys.

Stretch out your hammies and take the time to “force yourself” into the bottom position EVERY DAY. Do speed pulls from the floor and focus on perfect form.

For your actual training, just pull from the pins at a point where you can avoid lumbar flexion.

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
3. Eric & Mike - was doing light deadlifts last night to check my form and depth. I’m rounding too much at the bottom. When I dropped the bar completely just to test for depth and form, I noticed I lose the arch about 5" before I get to grip level. I’ll continue to stretch and work on it. However, what do you recommend I do to get this last bit of range? Should I

[/quote]

1 - Because PVC is super cheap and you can get multiple sizes as you progress.

2 - Hard to believe that the rolling caused the knots in your back. However, people are often more “aware” of certain problem areas because they are opening up the nerves and promoting proper function. For example I had a guy do a bunch of my spinal flossing stuff yesterday and he started getting serious cramps in his hamstring. Sometimes when you open up nerve pathways, you get some undesired side-effects (but needed, nonetheless).

3 - Go with EC’s recommendation, although if you are pulling with your hips fairly low you could also have tension/poor ROM in the gluteals as well. ART, stretching, foam rolling and massage will help you build that range.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
To everyone else, don’t reply to this, it’s not the offical thread. I have to get my questions in early because I’m not on the Prime Time Time Zone.

The Questions:

1. Mike - the PVC roller (again!) - why PVC? Curiosity only.

2. Since I don’t yet have my “Heal That Hunchback” PVC super-rolling-mega-apparatus, I used a wooden roller (those twist bars they always have) at the gym last night on a situp mat, to see what would happen. Rolling my back down it felt strange but good. Today I’ve got nothing but knots in my back, especially behind the left shoulder blade. The shoulder blade feels tighter, as does my neck. The spine itself feels looser. Is this normal? I’ve a feeling it will pass but I wanted to confirm I didn’t do anything dumb. For the record, nothing popped or clicked during the rolling.

If this is addressed somewhere else, an RTFM will do here.

Thanks guys.[/quote]