Cressey Program Question

Hello

I?ve been doing an upper body lower body split programme for sometime now. My posture is pretty bad because my shoulders slouch quite a bit. Because of this I have decided to drop all chest and lat work and follow the ?Cracking the Rotator Cuff Conundrum? programme written by Eric Cressey for about a month or so.

I have carried on doing my lower body workout as normal but what I want to know is how much bicep and tricep work can I include during this programme? Bearing in mind I have already added a few sets of bent-over lateral raises and wide grip rows to the neck as suggested

Thanks

This is more of a supplemental program than anything. You can easily split this program in half and do two exercises at the end of each of your upper body sessions each week. It shouldn’t influence the rest of your program too much.

If you really need to address postural issues, I suggest you check out Mike and my “Neanderthal No More” series.

[quote]almost wrote:
Hello

I?ve been doing an upper body lower body split programme for sometime now. My posture is pretty bad because my shoulders slouch quite a bit. Because of this I have decided to drop all chest and lat work and follow the ?Cracking the Rotator Cuff Conundrum? programme written by Eric Cressey for about a month or so.

I have carried on doing my lower body workout as normal but what I want to know is how much bicep and tricep work can I include during this programme? Bearing in mind I have already added a few sets of bent-over lateral raises and wide grip rows to the neck as suggested

Thanks[/quote]

Thanks Mr. Cressey. It’s mainly my rounded shoulders that are the problem so this is the area I?m concentrating on. Should I still include some chest work in my upper body programme or keep clear for the time being?

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
This is more of a supplemental program than anything. You can easily split this program in half and do two exercises at the end of each of your upper body sessions each week. It shouldn’t influence the rest of your program too much.

If you really need to address postural issues, I suggest you check out Mike and my “Neanderthal No More” series.

almost wrote:
Hello

Thanks

[/quote]

A little bit won’t hurt you. Just train your pressing with less volume and always do extra sets and more volume for the opposing movements (external rotations and rows). A few sample options:

A1) Seated Cable Row: 4x8
A2) Bench Press: 4x3

or

A1) Seated Cable Row: 6x6
A2) Bench Press: 4x6

Call me Eric; I’m not old enough to be Mr. Cressey! :slight_smile:

[quote]almost wrote:
Thanks Mr. Cressey. It’s mainly my rounded shoulders that are the problem so this is the area I?m concentrating on. Should I still include some chest work in my upper body programme or keep clear for the time being?

Eric Cressey wrote:

almost wrote:
Hello

Thanks

[/quote]

Excellent.

Am I right in saying that I should lay off vertical pull movements during this time? Also I should keep my all my horizontal pull movements wide grip and to the upper chest\neck area which should prevent too much lat work.

Sorry for all the questions

A little bit won’t hurt you. Just train your pressing with less volume and always do extra sets and more volume for the opposing movements (external rotations and rows). A few sample options:

A1) Seated Cable Row: 4x8
A2) Bench Press: 4x3

or

A1) Seated Cable Row: 6x6
A2) Bench Press: 4x6

Call me Eric; I’m not old enough to be Mr. Cressey! :slight_smile:

almost wrote:

Eric Cressey wrote:

almost wrote:
Hello

Thanks

[/quote]

[quote]almost wrote:
Excellent.

Am I right in saying that I should lay off vertical pull movements during this time?[quote]

It depends how imbalanced you are.

Don’t pull to your neck and upper chest; that’ll just increase recruitment of the upper traps and levator scapulae (which will make the problem worse). Wide, pronated grips are your best bets.

Thanks lots for this advice Eric. Just one more question I promise :). Can I continue to deadlift for the time being or should this also be avoided. I’m trying to understand which primary back muscles assist in retracting the shoulders the most. Thanks once again

Al

almost wrote:
Excellent.

Am I right in saying that I should lay off vertical pull movements during this time?

It depends how imbalanced you are.

Also I should keep my all my horizontal pull movements wide grip and to the upper chest\neck area which should prevent too much lat work.

Don’t pull to your neck and upper chest; that’ll just increase recruitment of the upper traps and levator scapulae (which will make the problem worse). Wide, pronated grips are your best bets.
[/quote]

You should be fine.

[quote]almost wrote:
Thanks lots for this advice Eric. Just one more question I promise :). Can I continue to deadlift for the time being or should this also be avoided. I’m trying to understand which primary back muscles assist in retracting the shoulders the most. Thanks once again

Al
[/quote]

Brilliant. Thanks