T Nation

Cressey: October Prime Time

I figured I’d get all my Prime Time stuff for the month into one thread.

Today’s fantasy football long shot is Ahman Green. I need him to run for about eight touchdowns tonight, especially since my opponent has the Carolina defense. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
I figured I’d get all my Prime Time stuff for the month into one thread.

Today’s fantasy football long shot is Ahman Green. I need him to run for about eight touchdowns tonight, especially since my opponent has the Carolina defense. Keep your fingers crossed for me.[/quote]

Only 8? Why not 14?

I’m thinking it may be a pinched nerve toward the base of my spine, but whenever I seem to do DB lunges (only with the left leg), I get this shooting sensation. It goes away as soon as I put down the weights and stand still for a few seconds, though.

I’ve taken a look at my form (and had other people look) and have even dropped all the weight. It doesn’t seem to act up with just body weight, but I’d love to be able to hold some damn dumbbells!

Thanks EC,

Nate

Hi Eric

i have posted my question and the link to it is

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=769962

Can you please check it for me and advice me.

Thanks for talking the time to read it .

Hi Eric,

I’ve been making some decent progress on overhead squats lately. However, I’ve noticed when I get right down to the bottom, my right foot rotates outward (clockwise). What needs stretching?

Thanks. And thanks for the answer on the prone scorpions a few days back - my hip flexors hurt more but they’re stretching.

Hey Eric,

I just have a question about your “Cracking the Rotator Cuff Conundrum” article. Sorry if this has been answered already.

I finish up my fourth week of doing this as my shoulder routine, and was thinking of starting CT’s “Shoulders Overhaul” program now that I’ve prehabbed a bit. Anyway, I’d like to make rotator cuff work a permanent part of my workout routine. Are there any specific exercises you would recommend? How often would you recommend doing them, and at what point in a program would you add them? Should I just pick one of the exercises from your article for a few weeks, then rotate to the next one, etc.?

By the way, I feel I benefitted greatly from following your rotator cuff routine, and not only do my shoulders feel healthier, but I’ve seen some very real increases in size as well. Specifically, I feel my shoulders are a little more “round” looking, which is something I’ve been striving toward for some time. Thanks for that!

-Chris

Definitely screams neural impingement at the L4-L5 or L5-S1 level. You’d know it was L5-S1 if it radiates to the legs. Could be an SI joint issue, too.

If you can get some videos or photos, I’m sure we might be able to pick something up by looking at them. Might not be a bad idea to see a chiro and see if a simple adjustment would fix you up.

[quote]Nate Green wrote:
I’m thinking it may be a pinched nerve toward the base of my spine, but whenever I seem to do DB lunges (only with the left leg), I get this shooting sensation. It goes away as soon as I put down the weights and stand still for a few seconds, though.

I’ve taken a look at my form (and had other people look) and have even dropped all the weight. It doesn’t seem to act up with just body weight, but I’d love to be able to hold some damn dumbbells!

Thanks EC,

Nate [/quote]

Just replied over there.

[quote]Griffinz wrote:
Hi Eric

i have posted my question and the link to it is

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=769962

Can you please check it for me and advice me.

Thanks for talking the time to read it .[/quote]

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
I’ve been making some decent progress on overhead squats lately. However, I’ve noticed when I get right down to the bottom, my right foot rotates outward (clockwise). What needs stretching?[/quote]

Get the hip flexors, ITB, calves, and peroneals on that side. It won’t hurt to get after the hamstrings, too.

Good stuff! Glad I could help.

I would choose two different exercises and do them each on separate days of the week. The first movement would be performed with the humerus adducted (close to the body); examples include side-lying external rotations and low pulley external rotations. The second movement would be performed with the humerus abducted to 90 degrees or above; examples include Cuban presses, elbow-supported external rotations, and shoulder horn external rotations.

Obviously, this is just the tip of the iceberg with respect to shoulder health; you need a lot more work for the scapular stabilizers, and I prefer to integrate external rotation in more complex movement patterns once someone is out of the rehab stage.

[quote]ChrisPowers wrote:
Hey Eric,

I just have a question about your “Cracking the Rotator Cuff Conundrum” article. Sorry if this has been answered already.

I finish up my fourth week of doing this as my shoulder routine, and was thinking of starting CT’s “Shoulders Overhaul” program now that I’ve prehabbed a bit. Anyway, I’d like to make rotator cuff work a permanent part of my workout routine. Are there any specific exercises you would recommend? How often would you recommend doing them, and at what point in a program would you add them? Should I just pick one of the exercises from your article for a few weeks, then rotate to the next one, etc.?

By the way, I feel I benefitted greatly from following your rotator cuff routine, and not only do my shoulders feel healthier, but I’ve seen some very real increases in size as well. Specifically, I feel my shoulders are a little more “round” looking, which is something I’ve been striving toward for some time. Thanks for that!

-Chris[/quote]

Hey Eric,
At the bottom of heavy squats my hips swing slightly right. I realise that it was an imbalance so I’ve begun unilateral exercises to help. I was just wondering if stretching the stronger right leg before squats to weaken it somewhat would help? Or am I just going to end up with an overly bendy right leg?
Thanks, John

hi eric how are things. I am currently battling sleep apnea(looks like I will need a mask) and mono at the same time, so needless to say I am wiped. Should I really cut back my volume and maybe just work on prehab and weak point training or should I try to keep as much intensity as possible. I was thinking of doing three total body workouts and chosing one exercises per workout to do heavy or with alot of intensity and then doing some rep work for the remaining exercises, maybe focusing on horizontal pulling in every workout along with some type of horizontal pressing or tricep pushes along with posterior work assuming neither one of them are worked with the heavy exercise.

Also another question I have refers to a column written by jean catanzaro(may have butchered last name) but in this q & a segment he said one of the main problems he see’s with most trainee’s is they wear their shoulders too low. To help fix this he recommended nuetral grip dumbell overhead presses. I wondered what your thoughts on this were. Face pulls seem to be a stable of yours which cause scapula depression, would you feel it necessary to include some scapula elevation work in most programs. Along those lines I really like to include dips in my workouts should I then have some short of vertical pull to balance the push/pull or are chins/pulldowns of little value when it comes to performance.

Thanks for the time
brandon

Hi EC,

I’ll try to keep this a breif as possible. When I deadlift my back/upper body is almost horizontal as opposed to vertical. I think it is a inflexibility problem somewhere and perhaps my hips to high. Being a biomech guy, do you have any ideas where the problem could possibly be??

I wouldn’t go out of your way to weaken the right side; you’d be better off stretching the areas that feel tight and doing some activation work for the muscles that aren’t kicking in. Focus on the right hip abductors for the activation work.

[quote]JohnGullick wrote:
Hey Eric,
At the bottom of heavy squats my hips swing slightly right. I realise that it was an imbalance so I’ve begun unilateral exercises to help. I was just wondering if stretching the stronger right leg before squats to weaken it somewhat would help? Or am I just going to end up with an overly bendy right leg?
Thanks, John[/quote]

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
hi eric how are things. I am currently battling sleep apnea(looks like I will need a mask) and mono at the same time, so needless to say I am wiped. Should I really cut back my volume and maybe just work on prehab and weak point training or should I try to keep as much intensity as possible. I was thinking of doing three total body workouts and chosing one exercises per workout to do heavy or with alot of intensity and then doing some rep work for the remaining exercises, maybe focusing on horizontal pulling in every workout along with some type of horizontal pressing or tricep pushes along with posterior work assuming neither one of them are worked with the heavy exercise.[/quote]

The only recommendation I can give is to listen to your body. There aren’t many people who can train through mono; if your immune system is already that weak, chances are that it’s not going to be up to the task when it comes to exercise recovery. Some moderate activity would probably help the cause, but I doubt you’ll be in any shape to get under a heavy barbell.

RE the sleep apnea, is it related to your weight? I know you were looking to drop some body fat, so I’m curious if your doctors felt it was an issue.

You don’t have to go out of your way to add it; people get enough of it with deadlift variations and their crappy posture in daily life. Can you please link me to that article? I’m curious to see the context in which JPC used it.

[quote]Along those lines I really like to include dips in my workouts should I then have some short of vertical pull to balance the push/pull or are chins/pulldowns of little value when it comes to performance.
[/quote]

I would include some chins in there. They’re definitely valuable for performance.

Uh, bend your knees, for starters! :slight_smile:

Beyond that, definitely stretch out the hip flexors and hamstrings. Set up the bar with 315 and just practice your set-up; don’t even worry about the pulling.

Score a video and I’d be happy to comment on it.

[quote]cal wrote:
Hi EC,

I’ll try to keep this a breif as possible. When I deadlift my back/upper body is almost horizontal as opposed to vertical. I think it is a inflexibility problem somewhere and perhaps my hips to high. Being a biomech guy, do you have any ideas where the problem could possibly be??[/quote]

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
I wouldn’t go out of your way to weaken the right side; you’d be better off stretching the areas that feel tight and doing some activation work for the muscles that aren’t kicking in. Focus on the right hip abductors for the activation work.

JohnGullick wrote:
Hey Eric,
Thanks, John

[/quote]

Thanks for your help Eric, I look forward to using your advice to become a squat monster, or at least to balance the slightly surreal condition of being able deadlift nearly double the weight I squat.

the doc felt it might be a cause but my deviated septum is also involved as it really started my snoring issues before i gained the weight i am trying to get rid of. i will try to find the article i had it saved on my computer but i am away from home right now i will try to get it to you soon.

Hey EC,

I’ve got a shin splint problem. I usually get them later in the track season, but this year my right side has been hurting a bit more than usual. My left side is fine. Its also strange because its on the lower inside of my shin and sometimes my ankle hurts and sometimes my calf hurts. I’m thinking its a flexibility problem, or a strength imbalance, I do a good deal of stretching and dorsiflexion exercises. Any tips on how to stop these, or help them out a bit?

What’s your footwear like?

Have you tried heel cups?

Note the location of your calluses on the bottom of your foot. Are they located at the base of the big and little toes, at the base of the index and middle toes, or in no particular pattern?

Do you have ART access?

[quote]poper wrote:
Hey EC,

I’ve got a shin splint problem. I usually get them later in the track season, but this year my right side has been hurting a bit more than usual. My left side is fine. Its also strange because its on the lower inside of my shin and sometimes my ankle hurts and sometimes my calf hurts. I’m thinking its a flexibility problem, or a strength imbalance, I do a good deal of stretching and dorsiflexion exercises. Any tips on how to stop these, or help them out a bit?[/quote]

I just purchased all new shoes. I’ve got a light callus below my big toe and a heavier callus on the outside of my foot below my little toe. I’ve never tried heelcups and am not sure what art is.