Creative Ways to Prepare Eggplant?

any suggestions?

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:
any suggestions?[/quote]

How are your cooking skills?

For one of the easier recipes, there’s Karniyarik, which is a Turkish dish. Eggplant stuffed with onions, meat, tomatoes. I’ve tried a few recipes but haven’t found one I recommend yet. For this you pretty much just marinate things, stuff the eggplant, and bake it until it’s done.

For something a bit more complex – and if you can handle the spice – there’s Yu Xiang Qiezi, which translates literally to “Fish Fragrant Eggplant”, but there’s no fish in it. You can find recipes in google by that name. It’s based on a rich and flavorful spicy sauce made of ginger, garlic, scallions, and a fermented chili-bean paste. I’ve cooked this one a few times, with pork instead of eggplant… so I can explain it better if you want.

There’s also a simpler Chinese eggplant dish my girlfriend sometimes makes, but she’s out of the country and it’s one of those recipes handed down through the family, so I don’t actually know all the details. It’s basically chunks of eggplant in a sweet and savory sauce.

sounds pretty tasty…and my cooking skills are pretty up to par…i wont claim to be great, but i make a point to cook up my meals daily

Food network.

Alton Brown had a whole show about it.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Food network.

Alton Brown had a whole show about it.[/quote]

Brilliant, lol i love the food network

I’ll echo the comment about stuffed eggplant, that’s amazing. Grilling eggplant alongside zucchini and serving this with feta cheese and olives is also great.

Eggplant in the form of moussaka is, however, the best.

ok this may be a dumb question, but what the heck is moussaka?

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:
ok this may be a dumb question, but what the heck is moussaka?[/quote]

A Greek layered casserole with ground lamb and/or beef in a tomato/cinnamon sauce, potatoes and topped with bechamel and feta cheese. There’s also usually a very trivial bottom layer of eggplant:

http://de.dreamstime.com/lizenzfreie-stockfotografie-moussaka-image9862827

[quote]kgildner wrote:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:
ok this may be a dumb question, but what the heck is moussaka?[/quote]

A Greek layered casserole with ground lamb and/or beef in a tomato/cinnamon sauce, potatoes and topped with bechamel and feta cheese. There’s also usually a very trivial bottom layer of eggplant:

http://de.dreamstime.com/lizenzfreie-stockfotografie-moussaka-image9862827[/quote]

omg thats sound amazing!!!

Cut one in half lengthwise, douse the exposed flesh in oil and bake the halves for 50 minutes at 180°C IIRC.

While they’re baking, fry some onions until they’re soft then add tomato purée and some spices, simmer for a few minutes.

Remove halves from oven, cover with sauce, and top with a few slices of mozzarella before returning them to the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.

Serve.

This goes really well with mashed potato.

diddy thats some good too…maybe add some turkey sausage to the tomato sauce =)

Yeah you could top it with whatever you like, really. It’s actually really filling too.

I should have specified olive oil in my last post.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
Yeah you could top it with whatever you like, really. It’s actually really filling too.

I should have specified olive oil in my last post.[/quote]

i figured thats what you meant. I’m also wondering about hollowing it out like mentioned earlier in this thread, chopping up the gutted insides, adding it to the meaty sauce, stuffing it with it, and layering thick sliced tomatoes followed byu fresh mozz. that sounds awesome