T Nation

Creating a Hamstring Pump

Hi CT or anyone else,

I’m a big fan of doing leg curls before squatting because my knees feel so much better afterwards, but I don’t always have a leg curl machine available. Somedays I train in a weightlifting ‘box’ where only barbells, a GHR and a pulldown machine are available. I tried some variation on the GHR but couldn’t replicate the great pumping effect that I can create with the leg curl. Do you have any experiences or ideas what I can try?

Kind regards

You could always try attaching a band around your ankles and a rack or something, or try squeezing a DB between your feet. Just some ideas. Good luck.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
You could always try attaching a band around your ankles and a rack or something, or try squeezing a DB between your feet. Just some ideas. Good luck.[/quote]

^^^^This, band leg curls are great for getting a pump in the hamstrings.

[quote]Eazy wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:
You could always try attaching a band around your ankles and a rack or something, or try squeezing a DB between your feet. Just some ideas. Good luck.[/quote]

^^^^This, band leg curls are great for getting a pump in the hamstrings.[/quote]

Yes that would be my suggestion. The GHR is a great exercise but it will also fatigue the glutes and lower back, which you don’t want when preparing to squat

I don’t have a leg curl machine at my gym either, so I use cables. Put leather cuffs on your ankles, lay down on the floor and attach one of the cuffs to the lower cable pulley and curl away. You can also use both feet at the same time, but I like to squeeze and concentrate on one hamstring at the time. The pump is incredible an no lower back involvment…

Totally forgot to thank you guys for replying.
I’m using a band now with both feet and for me it works the best if I do 8 partials at the shortest muscle length, move a bit further away and do 8 partials in the middle and then move a bit further again and do 8 partials in the longest muscle range. I do it before squatting and also between sets.

Bands are an awesome tool for creating a pump!