T Nation

Creating a Bench Challenge! -- Who's in?

I’m are currently putting together a video submission bench press challenge. This competition will be done competition style 1RM (one rep max)!

If your interested, reply to this thread stating you’d like to be “in”, and you will be added to the roster!

Due to popular demand, males and females will be placed into separate divisions. Winners are chosen by wilks formula, best lifter style! So lifters of all weight classes can get in on the action.

This competition does NOT currently have a start date, or an end date at this time, but expect this to start rolling in the next coming weeks.

Current Roster:

  1. ShortDave
  2. isaku
  3. dan_g_28
  4. arian11
  5. VikkiTee
  6. ouroboros
  7. xfactor31
  8. Clutz
  9. Debbie Damminga
  10. grettiron
  11. loscampeones gym
  12. Spock81 (T-Nation)
  13. arramzy (T-Nation)
  14. Max Misch
  15. Sabre N Jacob Knight
  16. CSEagles1694 (T-Nation)
  17. Johnclancy
  18. Ahlim
  19. puckett26
  20. lostsk8
  21. kjake55
  22. Huskarl
  23. scarboro
  24. Nick Cambero
  25. Joel Desgagn�© Boulianne
  26. E_P_C
  27. dtaps24
  28. (maybe?) Big Sexy J

Rules have not been written out, but [b]expect full competition rules!

Such as:

-No bounce (maybe even a slight pause)
-No butt off the bench
-Full lockouts
-No touchy spotters! (even finger tips!)

Allowed:

-head can be raised off bench
-feet can be set up on toes
-wrist wraps
-belt
[/b]

I’ll keep this thread updated of any news, and roster updates.

Feel free to let us know any opinions or suggestions for the competition!

MEMEMEMEME!!!

So I just lift my max??

I suck at reading.

1RM is obviously what PL is all about, but we all do that in meets… Let’s do repping at a certain wilks coefficient instead. I wouldn’t mind something like repping at something in the range of 75-90wilks. Just a thought. I’m in regardless.

I am too dumb to figure out this wilks thing.

I weight 144lbs

So… It’s like a bench only meet, on the internet?

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
MEMEMEMEME!!!

So I just lift my max??

I suck at reading.[/quote]

That’s right, it would simply be your best (paused?..it hasn’t been decided) single, and it will be plugged into a formula that calculates out a specific number. That number, according to the IPF, is used to determine the strongest lifter across weight classes.

Just like how “best lifter” is chosen at a meet.

[quote]arramzy wrote:
1RM is obviously what PL is all about, but we all do that in meets… Let’s do repping at a certain wilks coefficient instead. I wouldn’t mind something like repping at something in the range of 75-90wilks. Just a thought. I’m in regardless.[/quote]

Yessir, this is what everyone wanted via. facebook poll so we are making it happen. I actually gave that exact example as an option, since we recently did a deadlift challenge just like that! :slight_smile:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
So… It’s like a bench only meet, on the internet?[/quote]

You are correct, off the top of my head, another notable difference include wilks based runner ups (2-3rd placing). Versus just one “best lifter”.

[quote]B.Money wrote:
Allowed:

-slight downward motion of the bar on the assent
[/quote]
Why? All of the others on the list are allowed in some federation or other. This is not.

In…I won’t have a video to prove it, but I won’t be in the contention to win so I don’t think it’s a huge deal.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]B.Money wrote:
Allowed:

-slight downward motion of the bar on the assent
[/quote]
Why? All of the others on the list are allowed in some federation or other. This is not.[/quote]

Perhaps we could disallow it as well, but it seems its either loosely enforced in some feds, or just frustrating for the lifters in general for no good reason. Super grinders and near missed reps make for some good video.

But, if more people would like us to enforce the no downward movement rule, I’m willing to include it as well! I’m all ears!

I guess I’m in. I recently hit 127.5kg in competition @ 90 kg.

CS

Have u decided on whether it’ll be paused or not?

[quote]clutz15 wrote:
Have u decided on whether it’ll be paused or not?[/quote]

Not yet! I’ll talk it over today. Any thoughts yourself??

I VOTE PAUSED

I vote paused and no downward motion…(vikkitee)

[quote]B.Money wrote:

[quote]clutz15 wrote:
Have u decided on whether it’ll be paused or not?[/quote]

Not yet! I’ll talk it over today. Any thoughts yourself??[/quote]

I think paused will reduce some discrepancy, but personally I am alright with either my touch and go isn’t too different than my pause anyways. I just have visions of some pretty epic heaves haha and on that note removing downward moment should limit that as well. That’s my opinion anyways

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
I VOTE PAUSED[/quote]

[quote]lil power wrote:
I vote paused and no downward motion…(vikkitee)[/quote]

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

I think paused will reduce some discrepancy, but personally I am alright with either my touch and go isn’t too different than my pause anyways. I just have visions of some pretty epic heaves haha and on that note removing downward moment should limit that as well. That’s my opinion anyways[/quote]

Alright, consider it done. The benches must be paused, with no downward movements. Thanks for the feedback!

[quote]lil power wrote:
I vote paused and no downward motion…(vikkitee)[/quote]

I miss you!!!

New Roster:

  1. ShortDave
  2. isaku
  3. dan_g_28
  4. arian11
  5. VikkiTee
  6. ouroboros
  7. xfactor31
  8. Clutz
  9. Debbie Damminga
  10. grettiron
  11. loscampeones gym
  12. Spock81 (T-Nation)
  13. arramzy (T-Nation)
  14. Max Misch
  15. Sabre N Jacob Knight
  16. CSEagles1694 (T-Nation)
  17. Johnclancy
  18. Ahlim
  19. puckett26
  20. lostsk8
  21. kjake55
  22. Huskarl
  23. scarboro
  24. Nick Cambero
  25. Joel Desgagné Boulianne
  26. E_P_C
  27. dtaps24
  28. (maybe?) Big Sexy J

We are planning on continuing the roster for another 1/2 week or so, then we will get this thing rollin’!

It has also been brought up, that some people may rather use the Schwartz/Malone for this competition. If you’ve got any thoughts or opinions on the matter, let me know.

Just stick with wilks IMO. I think wilks does a better job balancing both gender and weight. I hope this gets goin soon cause otherwise it will be too close to my meet!

[quote]arramzy wrote:
Just stick with wilks IMO. I think wilks does a better job balancing both gender and weight. I hope this gets goin soon cause otherwise it will be too close to my meet![/quote]

We are going to start this up very soon, and if your meet happens to take place during the submission period, I’m sure it could fit within the ruling!

But, I could see this thing kicking off in the next few days, we are just about ready.