Creatine: Yes or No?

Jim,

I have been running 5/3/1 for about a year and am currently 8 weeks into Boring But Big and going to do the full 27 weeks as laid out in the Beyond book. What is your take on creatine? Is it something that you believe is needed or is it more of a personal preference? I have read everything on what you see as being a staple for strength training and overall health but have not heard you mention creatine so was just looking for your thoughts.

Thanks for your time.

I think creatine is the only bodybuilding supplement worth taking. Nothing else seems to do anything.

The scientific consensus seems to be YES

So judging by that, I’d say there is no reason not to at least try it. That being said, I had also wondered why Jim doesn’t mention it at all.

You can take it or not - it’s hardly a big deal either way. I have yet to see anything work better than steak/eggs and consistent hard work. Always make sure you take care of the 99% and achieve at the very least 90% compliance.

Thanks Jim for the reply. I have never really seen a big difference from taking it but I do have some left over to use up. I learned a hard lesson with food years ago. I had never ate enough until about the last year and have realized how important it is to make sure you aren’t under eating.

Stay Strong.

If you are eating lots of meats and eggs; adding creatine is probably negligible. Since creatine is in the muscles of whatever animal you are consuming. If you are eating a lot of them, you are probably getting what you need.

Might help if your main sources of protein are not meats.

I’ve been cycling creatine off and on for years and years and although I’m not convinced it necessary makes me any stronger, there is no doubt in my mind it greatly reduces DOMS and, therefore, significantly enchances recovery. It’s one of the very few supplements I wouldn’t want to do without.

[quote]SevenDragons wrote:
If you are eating lots of meats and eggs; adding creatine is probably negligible. Since creatine is in the muscles of whatever animal you are consuming. If you are eating a lot of them, you are probably getting what you need.

Might help if your main sources of protein are not meats. [/quote]

This is true except the question isn’t “need” as in “strictly require” but rather if additional creatine can be helpful for muscle repair, growth, etc. There’s a number of studies that back up the idea that it’s supraphysiological doses where the payoff is.