T Nation

Creatine Raises DHT Levels

I’ve been doing some research on hair loss lately to try to stop the war that’s going on my scalp… And this came up. Never heard of it before, but it doesn’t come as a surprise, since I’ve always thought I shed more while I take it

Yeah…on the one hand, creatine is so widely used and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

On the other hand, why take a chance? So, that’s why I stopped using creatine a while back after reading this study.

It’s interesting though, I wonder how much of the gains associated with creatine are due to the increased DHT levels, not from the increased intracellular levels of creatine as commonly thought.

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:
Yeah…on the one hand, creatine is so widely used and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

On the other hand, why take a chance? So, that’s why I stopped using creatine a while back after reading this study.

It’s interesting though, I wonder how much of the gains associated with creatine are due to the increased DHT levels, not from the increased intracellular levels of creatine as commonly thought.[/quote]

Considering that DHT is not anabolic, Id say virtually none.

If you’re worried about your hair, get on Finasteride and Rogaine, and take your creatine if you like. Genes have more to do with hair loss than anything else.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:
Yeah…on the one hand, creatine is so widely used and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

On the other hand, why take a chance? So, that’s why I stopped using creatine a while back after reading this study.

It’s interesting though, I wonder how much of the gains associated with creatine are due to the increased DHT levels, not from the increased intracellular levels of creatine as commonly thought.[/quote]

Considering that DHT is not anabolic, Id say virtually none. [/quote]

Although this probably wasn’t your point. Doesn’t DHT have strength building properties? This in addition to making you look like a dude.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
If you’re worried about your hair, get on Finasteride and Rogaine, and take your creatine if you like. Genes have more to do with hair loss than anything else. [/quote]

I am not actually posting this as a direct link between creatine and hair loss, but more as a surprise that unlike what was always thought, creatine does have an impact on endocrine fuction.

[quote]Chava bien wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:
Yeah…on the one hand, creatine is so widely used and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

On the other hand, why take a chance? So, that’s why I stopped using creatine a while back after reading this study.

It’s interesting though, I wonder how much of the gains associated with creatine are due to the increased DHT levels, not from the increased intracellular levels of creatine as commonly thought.[/quote]

Considering that DHT is not anabolic, Id say virtually none. [/quote]

Although this probably wasn’t your point. Doesn’t DHT have strength building properties? This in addition to making you look like a dude.[/quote]

Yeah…my thinking was, that even a mild androgenic effect from DHT might help a little bit. The extra rep or 2 that some people report might be attributable to that.

Yeah…my thinking was, that even a mild androgenic effect from DHT might help a little bit. The extra rep or 2 that some people report might be attributable to that.[/quote

I thought( probably wrong though) that increased DHT levels would help increase 1RM. That’s not to say that there are other factors at play.

Well this this as a direct link between creatine and hair loss, but more as a surprise that unlike what was always thought, creatine does have an impact on endocrine fuctino.

As far as I know this is the only study that shows this connection, so take it with a grain of salt. Creatine isn’t a requisite supplement by ANY means, so if you are worried about your hairline it’s not a big deal to leave it alone.

DHT only exerts a small anabolic effect because testosterone is the primary androgen in muscle tissue. DHT may, however, have an effect on the CNS, but I haven’t read anything definitive on that.

[quote]Fezzik wrote:
As far as I know this is the only study that shows this connection, so take it with a grain of salt. Creatine isn’t a requisite supplement by ANY means, so if you are worried about your hairline it’s not a big deal to leave it alone.

DHT only exerts a small anabolic effect because testosterone is the primary androgen in muscle tissue. DHT may, however, have an effect on the CNS, but I haven’t read anything definitive on that.[/quote]

DHT has a very significant impact on the CNS

Higher DHT usually means more agressiveness and energy, while people with 5AR defficiencies or who purposely eliminate DHT usually experience drowsiness and brain fog

I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that if i go bald at least ill be swoll so FUCK IT.

[quote]want2getlean wrote:

I’ve been doing some research on hair loss lately to try to stop the war that’s going on my scalp… And this came up. Never heard of it before, but it doesn’t come as a surprise, since I’ve always thought I shed more while I take it
[/quote]

After reading this I’m seriously thinking of switching to creatine kre-alkalyn. This has got me concerned to say the least.

If you dont have the gene for MPB, the rise in DHT is irrelevant. If you have the MPB gene, youre going to go bald at some point regardless of how much creatine you use.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
If you dont have the gene for MPB, the rise in DHT is irrelevant. If you have the MPB gene, youre going to go bald at some point regardless of how much creatine you use. [/quote]

Well, we’re all going to die at some point, but some would like it at diffent times :slight_smile:

Different men deal differently with MPB for a number reasons. I, admitedly, am not the kind who is having an easy time coming to grasps with it. But such is aging. Eventually, Father Time hits you like a bag of rocks and reminds you you’re not staying around forever.

[quote]want2getlean wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
If you dont have the gene for MPB, the rise in DHT is irrelevant. If you have the MPB gene, youre going to go bald at some point regardless of how much creatine you use. [/quote]

Well, we’re all going to die at some point, but some would like it at diffent times :slight_smile:

Different men deal differently with MPB for a number reasons. I, admitedly, am not the kind who is having an easy time coming to grasps with it. But such is aging. Eventually, Father Time hits you like a bag of rocks and reminds you you’re not staying around forever.[/quote]

Death is inevitable, but aging is a disease.

I was really just trying to get at the fact that people shouldnt be concerned with creatine and DHT unless they know they have the mpb gene. If the rise in DHT from supplemental creatine (we get creatine in red meat; I dont suppose youre going to stop eating that are you?) is even signficant enough to have an effect on balding.