Creatine Question

Ok all. before I get lambasted for bringing this paranoia up, I am just looking for some information.

I have been taking creatine on and off for about 9 months now, and enjoy the results. I have suffered no sympoms or side effects other than maybe some diarrhea. I have read several articles, both here and elsewhere about its safety and I have dismissed the complaints against it as useless paranoia spreading propaganda.

That being said, my wife was just reading up on steroid use for a sermon she was writing and came across the fact that the NFL, the NCAA, and the Olympics have banned the substance. I was confused by this, and she, because she wants me to stick around for a long time, asked that I find out why they banned it.

So I guess that’s what I am looking for. If anyone could point me towards a good article or give an infomative response, that would be great. Thank you!

JF

I don’t think they banned it. Where did you get this information from?

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Performance-enhancing drugs: Know the risks - Mayo Clinic [/quote]

This doesn’t contain any accurate information on creatine. And it doens’t mention if it’s a banned substance either.

From the Absolute Creatine site…

Is Creatine legal in the US?
Yes. Creatine is classified as a Dietary Supplement - not a drug. This means that it is basically treated as a food substance and does not have to meet any of the drug requirements of the FDA. You do not need a prescription to buy creatine - because it is a food supplement.

Is creatine banned by any major sports leagues?
No. Creatine is not a banned substance in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NFL, NCAA or Olympics. It would be very hard to ban creatine use because it is found in many foods, therefore making it very hard to test for without false positives.