T Nation

Creatine Question - Water Weight

i've been told that when you start taking creatine most people tend to gain 5-10 pounds of water weight .. i started taking creatine 4 days ago and havent noticed my weight change at all?

is this normal or am i supposed to gain the water weight in the beginning? im taking 20g a day for this week and then 5g for 3 weeks and then another 3 weeks of no creatine.. thanks

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I was wondering what kind of weight gains one can expect taking creatine and how much can be attributed to water. I find it difficult to believe that one would take on 10 pounds of water.

Back to your post though, I've been taking creatine for a couple months. It's going to take longer then 4 days for you to see results regardless of what your taking.

Ok, well it takes some time to gain the weight (I'd say about 2 weeks), but dude, don't waste your money with 20 g a day. Only do 5 grams a day, and I'd do that for a month and then if you wanted to cycle off of it for a month. 20 g is a waste because your body can only absorb about 5 grams and the rest is excreted.

I've read it's 5 grams every few hours.

I take 5 grams twice a day when I work out, and 2 grams twice a day on off-days.

There was a study done showing that once your muscles are saturated, 2 grams once a day is all that's needed to maintain the saturation.

Id also your just making a BAD decision to just take it for 3 weeks or a month. hell youll just be getting saturated and getting the benefit and youll stop taking it. Creatine is one thing I say take year round but at least 3-4 months at a time.

Phill

The 20g a day for the 1st week is called the loading period. Its what all the creatines and everyone I've ever talked to say to do. After that 5g is plenty like ya said.

well regardless of how much you should take a day my question is about the water weight.. if anyone knows the answer that would be great

i have also been taking creatine for about 3weeks now, no weight gain here :stuck_out_tongue: but lately i've been thinking if i should be stacking beta7\creatine.. could be a waste of creatine.

Four days is just too short a period to make any significant changes. Like Phil said, it takes a while until your muscles are saturated. Also note that your weight fluctuates depending on many factors (such as time of weighting, digestion etc.) so you might not notice a slight weight gain from creatine at first.
I also recommend taking it for longer than 3 weeks at a time, which doesn't seem to make much sense. 3 months on 1 off seems to be standard practice if you feel the need to cycle it.

Loading creatine the traditional way is no longer necessary. Research shows that taking 5g/day for 4 weeks will give you the same benefits as loading 20g/day for 5-7 days. After a loading phase you can maintain with 2-5g/day.

Based on body weight though I would adjust that up or down by a few grams. The 3 months on 1 month off that is suggested is a good cycle and one I've been using for 10 years. Most important when taking creatine is to drink 1-2 gallons of water daily.

i've been drinking at least 1 gallon a day