T Nation

Creatine/Protein For Ultra Runner??

Hey guys, i’m just curious if you think taking some creatine or a protein supplement before/during/after a long run, im putting in well over 100kms a week running in the trails, is a good idea or will i bulk up too much and throw off my stride??

I have some shorter races(50 milers) coming up in sept and october to close out the season, and i wanna thrash the best times

if you know of any other supplements, im all ears

thanks
V

[quote]vtrain wrote:
Hey guys, i’m just curious if you think taking some creatine or a protein supplement before/during/after a long run, im putting in well over 100kms a week running in the trails, is a good idea or will i bulk up too much and throw off my stride??

I have some shorter races(50 milers) coming up in sept and october to close out the season, and i wanna thrash the best times

if you know of any other supplements, im all ears

thanks
V[/quote]

Creatine has the potential to wreck your gut during running. I’m not sure how much it would help you anyway.

Protein would be good, but BCAAs would likely be even better, especially during training. Experiment with both during training to determine how they are tolerated.

Beta7 should definitely be on your list of things to try.

I honestly doubt you’ll be bulking up at all if you’re running 100km a week.

What are your goals?

[quote]rsg wrote:
I honestly doubt you’ll be bulking up at all if you’re running 100km a week.

What are your goals?[/quote]

Based on the title of the thread and his comments, I believe his interested in ultra-endurance running.

my goals for next summer are to finish the canadian death race in atleast 20 hours, thats really my only big goal, i’ll be doing other races throughout the summer, but ive been raising money for the local pediatrics unit for that race.

You won’t bulk up from a little bit of protein and some creatine. I wouldn’t recommend creatine though, it won’t provide any noticable performance enhancement. If you want to use a little (~3g/day) for the health benefits that shouldn’t be a problem as well as you stay hydrated.

Protein’s just food. An extra 100cal/day on that sort of running won’t build extra muscle.

-Dan

makes sense, extra protein i guess is never really a terrible thing. What about Spike?

[quote]vtrain wrote:
makes sense, extra protein i guess is never really a terrible thing. What about Spike?
[/quote]

I like Spike for road cycling.

You just have to try it for yourself to see how you respond. I imagine that it could make a big differece, especially late in some of your races.

just the answer i was hoping for, thats exactly the time i’d need it, when it gets to the point where all you think about is left, right, left…