Creatine, Prohormones, 1990s, PhosPhaGain

I saw a locked 13-year old thread entitled “bad supplement flashback”. All 5 members who posted to that thread had given original EAS PhosPhaGAIN a very poor rating/review. I guess I’m the only guy left on the planet who loved that product so much I would have married it. It was EXTREMELY effective for strength gains and, for the predisposed, size gains as well.

It was a milkshake-type creatine monohydrate powder mix (vanilla or chocolate). Think about that, plz. Such products haven’t existed on the market since the late 1990’s. Nowadays, CM cocktails are of the non-milkshake variety. They are no longer creamy chocolate or vanilla, like a milkshake. They are now syrupy citrus orange or berry or fruit punch flavored, like kool-aid.

Anyhoo, I of course create my own creatine concoctions from scratch these days, though I miss EAS PhosPhaGAIN greatly. But I’ve come to suspect that it may have contained a prohormone of one ilk or another. It’s worth mentioning that the friend who introduced me to the PhosPhaGAIN product had been ingesting it and had indicated offhandedly that, in conjunction, he had been “feeling something a little different” down in the nut-zone.

I don’t know precisely what was meant by that comment of his, but yeah. And EAS very quickly and abruptly had changed the product to a new formula (and never stopped continually changing the formula along with the name of the product). In any case, nothing else I’ve ever supplemented with has ever even come close to adding the 50 LBS to my bench press in 5 weeks like PhosPhaGAIN did. I had been lifting very steadily for 3 years by the time I started ingesting PhosPhaGAIN. And I very suddenly gained that 50 LBS on my bench 1RM. I had made exactly zero additional changes. Surely PhosPhaGAIN’s creatine content alone could not have accounted for such dynamic gains.

50 LBS of bench press strength gain in 5 weeks is extreme for a well and fully-conditioned natural lifter in any context and under any circumstance, is it not? Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

s5, I was there at the creation of PhosPhaGAIN. Believe me, it had nothing in it but generic creatine.

TC,
You could probably write a book about all the things you saw when you were at EAS.
I could bet the stories would make for some good reading for the rest of us who were around when they started and were at their peak.
They did not call him Wild Bill for nothing!! Ha! Ha!

@duke6j, I absolutely could write a book about EAS and MM2K. It was simultaneously one of the best and worst times of my life.

TC,

I, for one, would love to hear a few of the tales from your EAS days. If I remember correctly regarding the timeframe, I found T-Nation right around the time when MM2K/EAS shifted gears with their messaging from hardcore/steroids to more fitness/marketing to the masses. I bet a lot of us who migrated to T-Nation “came from” the “EAS/MM2K” crowd. Hell, that would make an excellent article on here. C’mon, lay all the great stories on us! :slight_smile:

On a side note, I was reading one of your recent articles where the focus was using Indigo to partition calories to muscle, and the thread afterward also mentioned using Metformin. You commented that you were rusty on Metformin dosing. Did you ever revisit Metformin dosing? I have a ton of it and would like to hear your input.

Merry Christmas!

[quote]TC wrote:
@duke6j, I absolutely could write a book about EAS and MM2K. It was simultaneously one of the best and worst times of my life. [/quote]

i gotta say, there’s a ton of us that would buy that book…

Shady, cyco, you know, I don’t know how many current T Nation readers even know something called MM2K ever existed. And, truth be told, if I was to invest some energy into writing another book, it’d probably be about something I’m passionate about, like nutrition, politics, fiction in general, naked women, Asian food, penguins, whiskey, etc.

And Shady, sorry, no, I haven’t looked at Metformin that much anymore. Indigo-3G has worked well for me, but if I stumble on anything, I’ll let you know. And Merry Christmas to you, too!

[quote]TC wrote:
Shady, cyco, you know, I don’t know how many current T Nation readers even know something called MM2K ever existed. And, truth be told, if I was to invest some energy into writing another book, it’d probably be about something I’m passionate about, like nutrition, politics, fiction in general, naked women, Asian food, penguins, whiskey, etc.

And Shady, sorry, no, I haven’t looked at Metformin that much anymore. Indigo-3G has worked well for me, but if I stumble on anything, I’ll let you know. And Merry Christmas to you, too![/quote]

PENGUINS!!!

[quote]TC wrote:
@duke6j, I absolutely could write a book about EAS and MM2K. It was simultaneously one of the best and worst times of my life. [/quote]
ha ha I remember those days all bill phillips ever talked about was how great metrx was then he had a falling out with someone and metrx became the worst supplement on the planet. I did like the magazine though but that was funny

[quote]fightnews wrote:

[quote]TC wrote:
ha ha I remember those days all bill phillips ever talked about was how great metrx was then he had a falling out with someone and metrx became the worst supplement on the planet. I did like the magazine though but that was funny[/quote]
Feels like I’m on Deca!

Slightly off topic but I would love so much to have a protein powder that was just like kool aid instead of creamy milkshake type ones.

MAG-10…

What ever happened to Vanadyl Sulfate, Chromium Piccolinate and conjugated linoleic acid, the ultimate stack to get ripped?

[quote]Nards wrote:
Slightly off topic but I would love so much to have a protein powder that was just like kool aid instead of creamy milkshake type ones.[/quote]

Google Syntrax Nectar

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
What ever happened to Vanadyl Sulfate, Chromium Piccolinate and conjugated linoleic acid, the ultimate stack to get ripped? [/quote]

There are in Ensure with the HMB!

I will second overdrive 750. It tastes clean and has a fruit flavor feel in your mouth.
Nothing like a thick protein shake you may be used to. Works great too.

Was an awesome product. Got incredibly strong very fast. 160 lbs 8 strict full reps dumbbell press. Never been above 125s since, or prior. Bring it back!

EAS PhosPhaGAIN also was offered in a chewable form. I bought them and used to eat them at work. They tasted a little sour and they were a little on the tart side for my taste buds. It is amazing how supplements have changed since then. The advancement in taste alone is something the younger guys should appreciate, not to mention the effectiveness of them has improved so much.
I think back how much crap I bought that did not do very much compared to the newer supplements offered that really make a difference that you can see.

What BlueCollerTr8n suggested with Syntrax Nectar is also a nice one to take from time to time if you want a lighter, fruit like taste.