T Nation

Creatine Pre or Post Workout

I lift 3 times a week right after my workout I have a protein shake and a gaterade for my junk carbs about 30g. Is it ok to take creatine then or should I take it before and with what I have pure creatine. thanks

[quote]py155 wrote:
I lift 3 times a week right after my workout I have a protein shake and a gaterade for my junk carbs about 30g. Is it ok to take creatine then or should I take it before and with what I have pure creatine. thanks[/quote]

I mix it with my whey, dextrose, and bcaas post workout.

This isn’t something you should worry about too much, but in my opinion go for post workout.

If you take creatine you should take it every day as well, while ingesting more on training days. For pre workout I have 0.4 grams of carbohydrate (maltodextrin) per kg of bodyweight, 0.2 grams of protein (hydrolyzed whey isolate) per kg of bodyweight, 3 grams BCAA. Peri it’s carb 0.8, protein 0.4, BCAA 5 grams, and glutamine 3 grams. Post is the same as pre with 5 grams of creatine, and 2 grams glutamine.

And also, don't call them junk carbs, maybe they are in Gatorade (fructose, sucralose ect.) but you could be making much better decisions like maltodextrin anyway. Dextrose is also very popular. Fast acting carbohydrate is extremely valuable at this time and should not be overlooked.

There isn’t very much junk nutrition to go around, only bad timing - and plenty of that.

yes

I take a scoop of Protein and malto Pre/peri with 5g BCAAs, 5g glutamine, and 5g Creatine.

Post workout I take 2 scoops of Protein and malto Pre/peri with 5g BCAAs, 5g glutamine, and 5g Creatine. I also eat a banana on high carb days… or might throw in a scoop of Gatorade powder…

3g post iron for recovery.

if i am doing very heavy lifts i will sometimes add it pre :slight_smile:

Just take 5g before and after.

What exactly does BCAA do, im really new to weight lifting and getting in shape, sorry if it seems like a stupid ?

[quote]rmiller20045 wrote:
What exactly does BCAA do, im really new to weight lifting and getting in shape, sorry if it seems like a stupid ?
[/quote]

Not a stupid question. I am trying them on the advice I’ve read from strength coaches and my own personal experience. Research supports the coaches:

Consumption of BCAA (30 to 35% leucine) before or during endurance exercise may decrease the net rate of protein degradation, may improve both mental and physical performance, and may have a sparing effect on muscle glycogen degradation and depletion of muscle glycogen stores.

Branched chain amino acids (BCAA), particularly leucine, have been suggested to be ergogenic for both endurance and strength/power performance. This Aussie study showed “significantly improved endurance performance and upper body power in outrigger canoeists”

However, some authors says “poo” that 0.7g/LB provides adequate protein for the strength athlete - and that should be sourced from whole food.

http://huhs.harvard.edu/Resources/HealthInformationByTopic/Nutrition/ProteinNutrition.aspx

[quote]rmiller20045 wrote:
[/quote]

(B)ranched ©hain (A)mino (A)cids are three essential amino acids (building blocks of protein) that makes up approximately one third of skeletal muscle in the human body.They are comprised of l-Leucine, l-Valine and l-Isoleucine. Essential amino acids are considered essential because the human body cannot synthesize them, and therefore they must be ingested. Essential amino acids include but are not limited to BCAAs.
An interesting article by John Berardi you may want to read: