T Nation

Creatine - Not Noticing a Difference

I’ve been taking creatine monohydrate for over a month now and have not noticed much of a difference. I’ve gained all of 5lb’s, and my workouts are very minimally more intense (may be psychological).

I drink 2-4L a day, and on days I play hockey anywhere from 4-5L’s. I try to get in 500mL of milk a day as well, and eat oatmeal in the mornings.

Is there something I’m doing wrong, or is my body simply not adaptable to creatine? I would have imagined I would gain more than just a few lb’s in water weight alone.

Its possible that your just a non responder. I have never noticed any gains in performance, strength, size or weight when using creatine. However, its so cheap I throw it in my pwo shakes anyway. When it comes down to it, a well planned out diet will always give the best results.

Maybe you should try some other creatine form if you want to take creatine for your training. Perhaps it works better but i cant say it surely. Normally you dont need creatine if you eat well (red meat for example).

Five pounds in just over a month isn’t something to sniff at. Is that how much you normally add in that timeframe?

[quote]Bartleby83 wrote:
Maybe you should try some other creatine form if you want to take creatine for your training. Perhaps it works better but i cant say it surely. Normally you dont need creatine if you eat well (red meat for example).[/quote]

Which other forms of creatine are you referring to? There was a study out proving that plain creatine monohydrate was more effective than the “superior”, altered creatines. If I can find it I will post it for you.

While some people may notice a big positive change rather quickly, I think that’s the rarity rather then the norm. I didn’t notice any earth shattering change after initially using it, but I believe it plays it’s part in my performance in the gym and recovery. Another words my strength and muscle gains are coming along nicely and I feel Creatine plays it’s part just like Surge, BCAA’s, and my other supps.

D

You didn’t mention if you did a loading phase. The only time I ever noticed a difference from creating was when I did a loading phase.

What kind of results were you expecting though? Five lbs in a month isn’t anything to be upset about. That seems pretty much the norm for a first time creatine user.

[quote]HockeyGoalie wrote:
I’ve been taking creatine monohydrate for over a month now and have not noticed much of a difference. I’ve gained all of 5lb’s, and my workouts are very minimally more intense (may be psychological).[/quote]

Exactly what were you expecting?

The results you’ve documented are what most should expect.

[quote]bulldog8712 wrote:
Bartleby83 wrote:
Maybe you should try some other creatine form if you want to take creatine for your training. Perhaps it works better but i cant say it surely. Normally you dont need creatine if you eat well (red meat for example).

Which other forms of creatine are you referring to? There was a study out proving that plain creatine monohydrate was more effective than the “superior”, altered creatines. If I can find it I will post it for you.[/quote]

Thanks bulldog, i am interested in the study you mentioned. Hope you find it.

I refer to, Kre-Alkalyn or Creatine Ethyl Ester.

I myself take Kre-Alkalyn and it works fine…but maybe monohydrate would also work. Don`t know.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
HockeyGoalie wrote:
I’ve been taking creatine monohydrate for over a month now and have not noticed much of a difference. I’ve gained all of 5lb’s, and my workouts are very minimally more intense (may be psychological).

Exactly what were you expecting?

The results you’ve documented are what most should expect.[/quote]

agreed.

has your strength increased?

I’d say “feeling” it is more of a placebo unless, as said before, you load it. But loading might really be a waste. Basically just take 5 g a day and don’t worry if you feel it or not. then one day you will run out and neglect to get anymore and that is when you will “feel” it. I find that I don’t care when im using some products but I sure do motice the difference without them. BCAA’s are a good one. I don’t realize how much better they make recovery until i don’t take them and creatine for a week or so. I don’t “feel” it either but I can tell the difference when it runs out.

-chris

ingest ur creatine w/ some form of simple sugar. Surge for example, or some other dextrose/maltodextrin drink.