Creatine in Coffee?

I’ve read suggestions that creatine be mixed in a sweet beverage, and that it should be consumed fairly quickly since creatine does not remain stable in liquid for long.

How about hot coffee? Is it worth it to add 5gm of creatine to my morning coffee, sweetened with a shot of creamer, to be consumed over the next hour during my commute to work?

Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. You’re getting very little sugar to help spike insulin (I would assume). And with it being in there for an hour, I wouldn’t trust it to be stable that long.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. You’re getting very little sugar to help spike insulin (I would assume). And with it being in there for an hour, I wouldn’t trust it to be stable that long.[/quote]

the insulin spike isn’t an issue.

besides, caffeine elevates blood sugar which leads me to believe it may spike insulin in tandem, but it’s not the issue as David Barr’s article pointed out.

My only gripe with coffee is that it’s slightly alkaline(basic) which can catalyze the cyclization of creatine to creatinine(sigh, sorry), as an acidic medium can as well.

Creatine needs water for the ATP transfer to occur… (or somethiung like that) anyway, caffeine being a diuretic defeats the purpose. I beleive you should try and minimize if not completly eliminate caffeine when supplementing with creatine to maximize effects.

I am wondering about Creatine in coffee also. I liesurely drink a cup before breakfast, then eat a high carb breakfast @ 500-600 calories. Then I will have creatine in a little coffee, drank immediately. After breakfast, I drink a couple quarts of water within an hour. (Except on workout days, I have the creatine in PWO shake.)

What do you guys think about disolving creatine in coffee in this situation?

I found an old JB article on this topic at http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/supplementation/creatinecomb.htm

In so many words, he says:

A study that showed creatine with coffee to work just fine is inconclusive due to issues in study design.

Creatine is best taken with lots of carbs because an insulin spike faciltates absorbsion.

Warm liquids such as coffee & tea are also faciltates absorbsion because creatine powder disolves better in warm solutions.

So you’re best off taking creatine in a PW drink, or in hot tea during a hi-carb meal.